Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Eroding into the trail
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • By: Katie Fisher
MARICOPA, AZ - The first woman to cross the finish line at the 2011 P.F. Chang's Rock 'n Roll Marathon was struck and killed Tuesday afternoon while riding her bicycle in Maricopa.
According to City of Maricopa spokeswoman LaTricia Woods, 27-year-old Sally Meyerhoff was heading southbound on White and Parker Road, failed to yield at a two-way stop sign, and collided with a pickup truck heading eastbound on Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway.
Meyerhoff was reportedly killed instantly.
Woods said the driver of the pickup truck showed no signs of impairment. Maricopa police are continuing to investigate the accident.
In January, Meyerhoff, who had qualified for the 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials, won the women's full marathon at the annual P.F. Chang's Rock 'n Roll Marathon.
The Tempe resident chronicled her marathon wins and Olympic training on her blog , last updated on Sunday.

Very sad circumstance! :bluefrown:

·
Blood, Sweat, and Gears
226 Posts
This is very sad. If you read her blog she had so much going for her and had already accomplished so much. Life can be over so quickly we need to live each moment like it's your last.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I do my best on my commute to not pass through any interstections. The ones I do Ive had some very unaware drivers come up and stop right in front of me as Im about to cross. After riding next to my buddy with a MagicShine, I fully plan on having one on my bike BEFORE I commute next.

Stay safe out there and remember NO ONE LOOKS OUT FOR YOUR SAFETY LIKE YOU DO!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This is very sad and unfortunate - I feel for her family

I was hit by a car last night - came from behind me on the left, passed me, then made a right turn right in front of me - I was lucky that I kind of bounced off the back of the car and landed in the road...

MTB is 10,000 times safer than road biking - but riding road is still fun....

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
tamen00 said:
This is very sad and unfortunate - I feel for her family

I was hit by a car last night - came from behind me on the left, passed me, then made a right turn right in front of me - I was lucky that I kind of bounced off the back of the car and landed in the road...

MTB is 10,000 times safer than road biking - but riding road is still fun....
Holy crap. The old right hook. Did the driver stop?

·
Black and Sticky
771 Posts
Just terrible news about Sally Meyerhoff. Over the years I ran a few local road races she was in and watched her compete. As a runner she was the REAL DEAL, one of those runners that always ran so strong, no hint of tired or weak. First time I ever saw her run, I thought "female version of Steve Prefontaine." Godspeed Sally.

Bob

·
Eroding into the trail
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
scoutcat said:
agreed. i'd much rather hit dirt.

also, who knows if she blew the stop sign. if she didn't its manslaughter and maybe there aren't witnesses.
Apparently it was verified (I believe that I read that there were witnesses on the scene)that she blew a stop sign heading south & hit an eastbound truck. The truck driver was not DUI & the investigation continues. It looks like the truck driver was not at fault.
Still sucks though!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Strongbrown said:
That driver must have floored it if he actually stopped at his sign in order to be lethal 30 ft later...
The way I read it, a two way stop equals stop signs going in opposite directions (north/south or east west). A four way stop means stop signs in all directions.
Or how 'bout she ran into the side of a vehicle that was traveling 5 mph at a speed of 20-30mph? Either way it's sad.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
ajmelin said:
The way I read it, a two way stop equals stop signs going in opposite directions (north/south or east west). A four way stop means stop signs in all directions.
Or how 'bout she ran into the side of a vehicle that was traveling 5 mph at a speed of 20-30mph? Either way it's sad.
Yes, from all accounts she appeared to have ran the stop sign (at least according to the OP's story). Nonetheless, it was a tragic accident.

·
BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
602 Posts
Two way stops are dangerous. You think that it's a 4way and feel like the other driver will slow down but 2 way stops will fake you out. I have one on my route that I need to call in about, because it's so blind and the expectation is a 4way that I'm afraid someone will get nailed by just cruising through. Feel sad about the accident, it sounds like she was an amazing athlete.

·
sandbagger
516 Posts
Pimpride said:
Two way stops are dangerous. You think that it's a 4way and feel like the other driver will slow down but 2 way stops will fake you out. I have one on my route that I need to call in about, because it's so blind and the expectation is a 4way that I'm afraid someone will get nailed by just cruising through. Feel sad about the accident, it sounds like she was an amazing athlete.
I see too many people riding roadbikes on the road wanting all the rights as cars, but dont want to unclip pedals and stop. Maybe her brakes went out who knows. But anyone reading this that rides any kind of bike where cars are intended to be, be careful. Follow the rules of the road.

As far as the guy rear ending a car from your description sounds like its your fault if he passed you hes in front he he slows to turn you slow and stay behind. I wouldnt think you would have the right away while your behind him whether hes turning in front of you or not.

R.I.P

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.