Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i'm looking for some race-only tires...conditions are alberta front range mountains meaning steep and loose/rocky, but almost always dry as a bone. i currently ride exis and rampages, they are both good tires but both heavy and the rampages especially roll really slow.

i've read a ton of threads on this, but i do hope to get a few responses from someone who rides front range conditions.
the crows seem popular, but i'm scared to try them on our terrain as they seem like semi-slicks. the kenda SB8's look like a good possibility, or the speci fasttraks...irc mythos? NO NANORAPTORS...i hate my nanos for our conditions.

there are a lot of choices...but these would be race-only tires. FWIW rider weight 175, singlespeed racing.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I would seriously consider the Ignitors, and maybe a combo with another tire. The Ig's have incredible traction for their faster rolling characteristic. Also, quite decent in the turns at speed. They also come in at a nice weight. The SB8's would be a good tire to throw on the rear for the summer/dry races, but not so sure about them up front. Also, the geax saguara seems super promising. I have one mounted up awaiting my frame replacement that is on the way. Looks to be incredibly fast and great grip, especially as a rear tire. I'll give more feedback on it after the weekend. My race set up will likely be..... Ig F&R on wet muddy days, Drier days will likely see Ig front, and SB8 or Geax rear. I have a nano too, but it's reserved for ultra buff single track, which we have little of around here. My local terrain is rocky and rooty, typical eastern mountain terrain.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have two good rides on the Saguaros and I am very pleased with them. I have been running Rampages front and rear but wanted to try something faster rolling. The corner grip is not as good as the Rampage (big surprise there) but I couldn't tell much of a difference in how well they hook up on loose climbs.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Yeah, I like the Saguaro's that I have. I thought their cornering grip better than most although not quite up to the Rampage ability

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ferday said:
hi

i'm looking for some race-only tires...conditions are alberta front range mountains meaning steep and loose/rocky, but almost always dry as a bone. i currently ride exis and rampages, they are both good tires but both heavy and the rampages especially roll really slow.

i've read a ton of threads on this, but i do hope to get a few responses from someone who rides front range conditions.
the crows seem popular, but i'm scared to try them on our terrain as they seem like semi-slicks. the kenda SB8's look like a good possibility, or the speci fasttraks...irc mythos? NO NANORAPTORS...i hate my nanos for our conditions.

there are a lot of choices...but these would be race-only tires. FWIW rider weight 175, singlespeed racing.

thanks!
Try the little alberts, 550g for a 2.1. I've had no trouble with them and I'm from your area, I'm waiting for my smallblocks to come in to give those a try. 20 min at Canmore nordic center and the crows went in the garbage.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
another option

Fasttracks from specialized are pretty good. Light, and have a good amount of grip expecially for the rear. I wouldn't run it on the front because the side nobs are soft and bend over when you go into a corner hard. The Specialized resolution is supposed to be a nice grippy tire that rolls better than the rampage or nevegal. I just got one so I don't have any real world experiance with it yet, reports I've heard are that its around 700 grams. I think I might run it up front, with an ignitor (because thats what I got) rear for racing.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'll 3rd the Ignitors.....they really are great tires. Another good choice would be IRC Notos....they have a surprising amount of grip for a fast tire with smallish knobs.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Ignitors...depending on their generation.

New Ignitors tends to be downright portly.
Our older ones are all sub-600g and we've got a couple right about 550g.

In our race last weekend, 55 miles of gravel, rocks, hardpack, etc...they just deliver.

That said, my wife raced over 500 miles on Karma's last season with nary a flat.

·
Category Winner
6,096 Posts
ferday said:
hi

i'm looking for some race-only tires...conditions are alberta front range mountains meaning steep and loose/rocky, but almost always dry as a bone.
My opinion, skip the Jones. There's a reason it's so big and so light. The sidewalls are thin. I've never done a lot of damage to sidewalls where I ride, and I ripped a huge hole in my Jones XR rear. While it lasted it felt great, while I was booting the sidewall it felt like garbage.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
teamdicky said:
My opinion, skip the Jones. There's a reason it's so big and so light. The sidewalls are thin. I've never done a lot of damage to sidewalls where I ride, and I ripped a huge hole in my Jones XR rear. While it lasted it felt great, while I was booting it it felt like garbage.
True, if you are in rocky conditions, Jones is no good. It is much like the ole WTB mutanoraptor with almost no rubber on the sidewalls.

fc

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
francois said:
True, if you are in rocky conditions, Jones is no good. It is much like the ole WTB mutanoraptor with almost no rubber on the sidewalls.

fc
I still think tearing sidewalls has as much or more to do with the rider as the tire. I can count the number of sidewalls I have had tear on one hand with fingers left over (excluding glass, brake pad and blown rim sidewall damage).

·
Category Winner
6,096 Posts
shiggy said:
I can count the number of sidewalls I have had tear on one hand with fingers left over .
I'm in the same club. That's why I bought the Jones and disregarded what people had told me about them. I used to run Pythons and all manner of thin walled tires with no problems in the past (even at the 24 hours of Tahoe which was just like racing on piles of rocks and dust).

After the Jones blew out I had to go back and see what tore the side wall open. It was a benign looking little stub of a root with no sharp edges. Very strange. It was enough to convince me not to run it for a race tire as I'll be facing some nasty conditions this year.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
teamdicky said:
I'm in the same club. That's why I bought the Jones and disregarded what people had told me about them. I used to run Pythons and all manner of thin walled tires with no problems in the past (even at the 24 hours of Tahoe which was just like racing on piles of rocks and dust).

After the Jones blew out I had to go back and see what tore the side wall open. It was a benign looking little stub of a root with no sharp edges. Very strange. It was enough to convince me not to run it for a race tire as I'll be facing some nasty conditions this year.
And I have run the XRs on rooty, rocky trails without so much as a scuff mark on the sidewalls. Same for the Python Air Lights.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
teamdicky said:
Bah, what do you know about tires? :)
Yea, I know. ;)

I know that some riders do have issues with "weak" sidewalls. I do not doubt it. It is the "why?" I do not understand. When I started the 'How do you cut tires?" thread last fall even some of the guys that are most vocal about weak sidewalls admitted they have only ever had 2-3 tires fail. That can fall into the freak accident and/or faulty tire category (like your XR). Happens, but rare and gets talked about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts