Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, So I got some Spyder Airlights for dirt cheap at a local Performance(Gasp! I know forgive that indiscretion)

But here's my question, take a look at the pic of the tread on the Spyder. According to the arrows on the sidewall for mounting as a FRONT tire, it should mount in the RED arrow direction. Does that seem right to you all? That appears to me to be backward and I want to mount it the other way, (Blue arrow) In the red direction it seems to have a more paddly brake and acceleration tread and in the blue direction it has the more pointed carving tread a front tire normally has.

I mounted one on the front of my Toro (Ventana content) and it held a line fine when on the center knobs, and then felt vague and loose on the transition knobs and then had good bite on the edge knobs. Opinions, thoughts?

Reason for asking is, Ventana helps sponser a weekly race series and conditions are super, super dry, hardpan surface with gravely/sandy layer on top, my WTB 2.4 MutanoRaps had poor turning traction out there, and I'm hoping the Spyder's might be better, but I can't get past this tread direction mental block.

-A
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Aaron, I rode the Spyders for about 5 miles...

...before returning them to PERFORMANCE. yeah, believe it or not, my local Performance is a great shop, with consistently great service from a staff that actually includes a former Trek Pro and a bunch of very nice guys.

I thought the Spyders at 30 psi (I weigh 160 or so) felt vague and pinged off of the slightest obstacle. not a stable tire to say the least and very VERY bouncy. they seemed fast, but I'd sooner run the Verts -- as Andy suggested -- as my race tire..

I know this isn't what you were asking about, but I just thought I'd relate my experience to ya. I rode them on hardpack with a smattering of roots and rocks.

I prefer my worn-out Verts to the Spyders. Of course, they cost 90 bucks a pair versus 40 bucks a pair for the Spyders, but.....

Ciclistagonzo said:
Ok, So I got some Spyder Airlights for dirt cheap at a local Performance(Gasp! I know forgive that indiscretion)

But here's my question, take a look at the pic of the tread on the Spyder. According to the arrows on the sidewall for mounting as a FRONT tire, it should mount in the RED arrow direction. Does that seem right to you all? That appears to me to be backward and I want to mount it the other way, (Blue arrow) In the red direction it seems to have a more paddly brake and acceleration tread and in the blue direction it has the more pointed carving tread a front tire normally has.

I mounted one on the front of my Toro (Ventana content) and it held a line fine when on the center knobs, and then felt vague and loose on the transition knobs and then had good bite on the edge knobs. Opinions, thoughts?

Reason for asking is, Ventana helps sponser a weekly race series and conditions are super, super dry, hardpan surface with gravely/sandy layer on top, my WTB 2.4 MutanoRaps had poor turning traction out there, and I'm hoping the Spyder's might be better, but I can't get past this tread direction mental block.

-A
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, Was there...

Clyde Class (What else)

Didn't know you'd be there or I would have looked for you. Course was kinda flat for an SS though wasn't it? Did enjoy the high speed beginning, that was fun.

Be there next week?

-A
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was hoping...

******* said:
...before returning them to PERFORMANCE. yeah, believe it or not, my local Performance is a great shop, with consistently great service from a staff that actually includes a former Trek Pro and a bunch of very nice guys.

I thought the Spyders at 30 psi (I weigh 160 or so) felt vague and pinged off of the slightest obstacle. not a stable tire to say the least and very VERY bouncy. they seemed fast, but I'd sooner run the Verts -- as Andy suggested -- as my race tire..

I know this isn't what you were asking about, but I just thought I'd relate my experience to ya. I rode them on hardpack with a smattering of roots and rocks.

I prefer my worn-out Verts to the Spyders. Of course, they cost 90 bucks a pair versus 40 bucks a pair for the Spyders, but.....
To try get better traction with something I already had. Guess I need to go shopping!
Just wish I had more $ available.

What do you mean by bouncy? Deflecting off things or ???
 

·
orthonormal
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
Clyde Class (What else)

Didn't know you'd be there or I would have looked for you. Course was kinda flat for an SS though wasn't it? Did enjoy the high speed beginning, that was fun.

Be there next week?

-A
I don't have spare freewheels or chainrings so I was stuck with 34-18. I could have spun a 34-16 around that course.

I'll be there next week, possibly with a new (used) SS frame. I have a bids on a couple of ebay auctions.
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck...

andy f said:
I don't have spare freewheels or chainrings so I was stuck with 34-18. I could have spun a 34-16 around that course.

I'll be there next week, possibly with a new (used) SS frame. I have a bids on a couple of ebay auctions.
On the auctions, and I'll look for ya next week.
Off the bike this weekend. 3 yr. old's Birthday Party got me all booked up.

-A
 

·
orthonormal
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
Maybe too much good luck. I think I may end up winning both auctions. Great deals on a couple of nice steel frames but I don't need two.

Offset that with the "lucky" find in my backyard this week: A 10+ ton chunk of granite was discovered while digging my pool. It took 22.5 hours with a huge hydraulic ram to bust it up and 8 truck loads to haul it away.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top