Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally got the big bikes built and sorted and needed to christen them with some kind of "special" weekend.

We heard through the grape vine (and pictures from this forum) that the Kokopelli trail and Bookcliffs would be dry this weekend. Friday night we packed up the gear and decided to make the trek.

All I can say is wow, it was my first time ridding in Fuita (yes I'm ashamed to admit) and it was a blast. Six inch bikes were probably a bit overkill for many of the trails but we still had a great time.

On Saturday we rode the Kokopelli/Mary's Loop trails.

We started with Mary's to Horsethief Bench and ended up ridding the technical section a hand full of times. The 6" bikes were amazing on this terrain allowing us to try a couple different lines (but we didn't have the nards to do the 2-3 foot drop on the far right).

After the Horsethief loop we went to Steve's Loop for some nice rim ridding and a few small technical sections.

From there we rode up to Moore Fun and took that back to the trailhead. Moore Fun is definitely a technical and steep climb (especially after ridding 2.5 hours on 6" bikes) but the decent to the parking lot was fast an flowing.

The highlight of the day was definitely ridding the technical decent on the bench, trying the different lines was a blast. We left some blood behind but cleaned the problem as well.

We were tired after the ride my GPS tells me we did about 17.5 miles climbed 2700 ft and rode for a little over 4.5 hrs.

That night we hit the Golden Skillet buffet to fuel up on chicken fried chicken, chicken fried steak, ribs, mashed potatoes, and a few greens. Mmmmmmm good.

Sunday we decided to checkout the Bookcliffs.

We started with Zippidy-do-dah and let me tell you that trail is phenomenal. A slow rolling climb on the western edge one steep climb then a narrow rolling ride on the bookcliffs with 3-4 SUPER STEEP descents that you need to stay off the brakes to descend and give your sphincter a little workout.

From there we rode up to Joe's ridge a trail we had heard was a narrow steep trail on the cliffs... it was fun but nothing like Zippidy. From there we funneled into a trail (can't remember the name) that cut back and fourth in a old creek bed with nice fun banked corners.

From there we rode up Prime Cut to Chutes and Ladders. Chutes and Ladders had some very steep climbs that left us walking a few sections and then a very long flowing descent for about 4 miles with some small "woop" sections.

We climbed out from there back to our car thouroully exhausted. The highlight of this day was the steep skinnies of Zippidy. We also met Troy from The Edge Bikes and I also assume the author of our guide book as well as the builder of much of the Fruita trail system. Super nice guy.

The total on the GPS for Sunday was 20.3 miles, 3629 elevation, and almost 5 hours.

Overall a fantastic trip, if you've never been to Fruita (like me) you must put it on your list of places to go. As of right now 90% of the trails are dry and the locals we talked to say it will only get dryer and warmer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few pictures

We were having a little too much fun so the pictures are limited...

Heres a panoramic shot of the Kokopelli side
Click image for larger pic

Me on the first descent of the bench on the "easy" line

Cleaning the crack

My buddy on the new Heckler going down the left side line (this was a super fun line)

My buddy showing off for the camera somewhere on Steve's Loop (or maybe Horsethief loop)

Me at the top of Zippidy a tough climb on the Banshee

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
mango said:
We were having a little too much fun so the pictures are limited...

I always think of trying the slab there in the middle but never can get on it without a dab.

mango said:
Seems like someone piled some rocks in there to make it easier than last time I was there.

mango said:
My buddy on the new Heckler going down the left side line (this was a super fun line)
That is an awesome shot of that drop! Excellent job of showing how big it is.

Cool pix. Thanks for sharing those.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lidarman said:
Seems like someone piled some rocks in there to make it easier than last time I was there.
Yeah, they always look easier in pictures ;)

lidarman said:
That is an awesome shot of that drop! Excellent job of showing how big it is.
It was a reall fun drop we did it a few times. There was a couple large boulders about 10 feet past the drop that were giving us fits as we tried to clean the entire section.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
mango said:
Yeah, they always look easier in pictures ;)

It was a reall fun drop we did it a few times. There was a couple large boulders about 10 feet past the drop that were giving us fits as we tried to clean the entire section.
I'll be walking this section...

It would take a lot of armor and a bigger bike than 115mm of travel for me to take on that, looks pretty nasty. I've seen lots of pictures of that section before and it just never looks manageable to me.

I keep getting flashbacks to Pete F.'s video with that guy who gets almost completely through the section only to endo flat on his face. Ouch...

Here is the video if you have no idea what I'm talking about...
Video Link

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Jdub said:
I'll be walking this section...
I always walk it. I don't possess the skills for that, and I always like to finish my rides riding my bike....

I do like seeing others do it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jdub said:
It would take a lot of armor and a bigger bike than 115mm of travel for me to take on that, looks pretty nasty. I've seen lots of pictures of that section before and it just never looks manageable to me.
I've got a buddy who did the bench including the 2-3 foot drop on a Canondale hardtail with an 80mm headshock... needless to say this guy has some nuggets much larger than mine. If you can overcome fear anything is possible (he also dislocated his finger and taco'd a rim on the bench).

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Examples of how the pic can make something look easy or hard. No offense to you singletrack, I know how hard this section is, but your pic below makes it look straightforward compared to the one above it. Must be the angle looking down on the rider versus up at the rider. I wish it looked like that in real life.

mango said:
singletrack from an earlier thread said:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
lidarman said:
Examples of how the pic can make something look easy or hard. No offense to you singletrack, I know how hard this section is, but your pic below makes it look straightforward compared to the one above it. Must be the angle looking down on the rider versus up at the rider. I wish it looked like that in real life.
Yeah - it can be extremely difficult to get the terrain to look as intimidating as it does when you're on a bike. It's frustrating.

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
Debaser said:
I always walk it. I don't possess the skills for that, and I always like to finish my rides riding my bike....

I do like seeing others do it.
I'm with you. These photos make it look like something I might ride, but having been there, I know better. Not only do I not have the skills/desire/nads to ride that now, but it's safe to say that I never will...

I suppose there's some out there that can even ride up this? (Well Hans is a given, but there must be locals too...)

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
rapwithtom said:
I suppose there's some out there that can even ride up this? (Well Hans is a given, but there must be locals too...)
The gauntlet has been thrown...

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
.thumper. said:
Yeah - it can be extremely difficult to get the terrain to look as intimidating as it does when you're on a bike. It's frustrating.
One thing that neither of those pix show is the big rock that you will hit your face on if you mess up and go over the bar!

rapwithtom said:
I'm with you. These photos make it look like something I might ride, ..
I actually think that first pic shows it pretty well, It shows the angle coming down and about 1.5 wheel diameters of near vertical drop. When rolling that, you reallly have to throw the weight back at the bottom or your are catapult ammo.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
lidarman said:
No offense to you singletrack, I know how hard this section is, but your pic below makes it look straightforward compared to the one above it
No kidding. Looks BIG in the other pic. The other fella is about 1' off my line, though. Either way, you've gotta shut it down quick after the crux before the following rock garden eats you alive. Good Stuff.
lidarman said:
I always think of trying the slab there in the middle but never can get on it without a dab.
That's the hairpin rock ride I was talking about in the other thread, its a good line, but getting on that rock is a bit nerveracking, the crack wants to grab your front wheel at sub walking speed with the bars cranked 90^.... any way, my Chap has a dent in the downtube from cartwheeling off that rock.
mango said:
My buddy showing off for the camera somewhere on Steve's Loop (or maybe Horsethief loop)
It's Horsethief. Hey, that Banshee is looking good!

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
rapwithtom said:
I've never heard of ANYONE riding up it. I think it's possible though.... just not for mere mortals.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
singletrack said:
Hey, that Banshee is looking good!
LOL I just realized today that your Chap is Chianti Red too. I think while wearing my full face helmet in the Bookcliffs parking lot someone may have mistaken me for you?

My friend was talking about the ribbons with a local (I think it was Troy) and he looked right at me and said, "you should know where that trail is..." I looked behind me and didn't see anyone responding to his comment. I was thinking to myself this guy must think he knows me... now I think it makes sense.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
mango said:
LOL I just realized today that your Chap is Chianti Red too. I think while wearing my full face helmet in the Bookcliffs parking lot someone may have mistaken me for you?
Heheh, I have a chrome full face as well... Although, I don't wear it much. Full face on 18rd? I'd puke fer sure.

EZ mistake, I know I remember people based on their rides.... and there aren't too many Banshees around.

What kinda car/bike did this person have?

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
singletrack said:
I've never heard of ANYONE riding up it. I think it's possible though.... just not for mere mortals.
Well, if anyone can do it, it will be s1ngletrack. I've seen him do some shite I just didn't think was possible. The clincher for me was this weekend watching him descend the final portion of MW after he pinched his rear tire. We were out of spare tubes so he rode the rest of the trail sitting on his handlebars, including the switchback and waterbars with that flat tire and the rear of the bike just wagging like a dog's tail behind him. Rallyblue can back me up on this; it was crazy to watch him do that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts