Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my Singular Swift from Marty (aka ~martini~) at the Prairie Peddler the weekend before last and finished the build this past Friday with the maiden voyage taking place this past Sunday. The first ride on a new bike always has that great feeling of anticipation. This time was no exception especially since this is my first 29er. For the first couple of miles I took it easy getting used to the handling and the overall feel (I could definitely tell I was on bigger wheels) but after that I let it all hang out. The bike rides really nice. It didn't take long to feel like I had been riding it for a while. Very smooth for a rigid hardtail. Obviously, the big wheels and tubeless have something to do with that but I think a large part of it is the frame. The bike likes to be pushed and thrown around a bit and tracks great. I could definitely tell it rolled over stuff with a bit more ease. Spinning up to speed takes a little more effort as does the slow tight twisty stuff but nothing that isn't quickly adjusted to. Overall, the fit and finish is great and it all built up super easy. For now its SS (32:17) but I do have a geared rear wheel coming for some 1x9 action. The Phil Wood EBB that is included with the frame is a real nice touch as was the pretreatment with frame saver and having the disc tabs and head tube faced.

Build as follows. Most parts were taken off the old Soma with the exception of the new rims, tires, headset, and brakes. Frame weighs 5.2 lbs and the fork was 2.5 lbs. Total build came in at 24 lbs.

Wheels - WI hubs, DT Comp spokes, Stans Arch rims. These are the old hubs from the Soma. I converted the rear from bolt-on to QR.
Tires - Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (2.4 front/2.25 snakeskin rear). These set up as tubeless without a single problem. Not one drop of sealant wept from either tire. I've been riding Ralphs for a few years but hadn't ridden the new tread pattern so I was a little apprehensive but those feelings went away when I realized how well these new ones were hooking up (buff trail with some baby heads, roots, and sand)
Bars - RaceFace Next risers.
Stem - Thomson.
Post - Thomson
Headset - King
Free wheel - WI
Cranks - RaceFace Turbine LP. 1996 vintage. Square taper of course.
Brakes - Avid Elixir CR. There were super east to set up. Cut the hoses and didn't need to bleed. Awesome modulation.
Grips - Ergon GE1. Probably going to change these out to something softer like ESI or foam.

Of course some extra red bits (bottle bolts and Salsa sear collar) thrown in for good measure.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Yeah! nice looking. But those cranks....they DO clash. Time to bust out some elbow grease and polish away!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marty -thanks for the several responses. I get the idea!! ;)

I'm well aware that they clash but I've had those cranks on every bike I've owned since 96. It would be sacrilege to polish them!! I'm actually thinking of trying to pick up a set of those limited run ano red RF Deus cranks. That or black. If you can't tell, I don't like polished bike parts.

·
Registered
345 Posts
botanicbiker said:
Marty -thanks for the several responses. I get the idea!! ;)

I'm well aware that they clash but I've had those cranks on every bike I've owned since 96. It would be sacrilege to polish them!! I'm actually thinking of trying to pick up a set of those limited run ano red RF Deus cranks. That or black. If you can't tell, I don't like polished bike parts.
I have some 1999 vintage black Raceface Turbine cranks for sale. Drop me a line if you are interested. Bike looks really nice as is. I like the blue cranks myself.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Beautiful bike!

And you guys.....geez! Lay off with the crank color comments. It's great looking as far as I'm concerned. :D :thumbsup:

What a great set of cranks! I have some from that era ('95) and they are still running strong as well. Why in the world we needed to go away from forged Race Face cranks with a squrae taper or ISIS I'll never know. They are some of the best cranks ever, in my opinion.

Anyway, great looking bike and I think the cranks look just right on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts