Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Another SS chain and cog suggestion?

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  blunderbuss 
#1 ·
Someone just before me asked a similar question, but I didn't want to hijack their thread-

I've just ordered a Holzfeller OCT 1.1 crankset http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-holzfeller-oct-11-dh-crankset

And an Atomlab Pimplite SS Dirt Jump hub http://www.atomlab.com/storehubs.html

The hub specs say any Shimano cog will fit.

I plan on changing out the cog to play with gearing- are there some cogs that work better for SS than others?

Which chain is going to stay put the best?

My frame has sliding dropouts, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any input

#4 ·
alexrex20 said:
i use a SRAM PC1 1/8in chain and a Shimano DXR cog.
There's no advantage to using a 1/8" chain on a single speed. It's not a BMX.

Straight from Surly:
1/2x1/8" chains vs. 1/2x3/32" chains. 1/2x1/8" chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn't better here. Yeah, they're wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they're not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32" chains. I guess if you grind your chainring and chain down the handrail every night at the local pub, a bigger 1/2x1/8 " chain will last longer, but most of us don't and it won't.

#6 ·
bad mechanic said:
There's no advantage to using a 1/8" chain on a single speed. It's not a BMX.

Straight from Surly:
1/2x1/8" chains vs. 1/2x3/32" chains. 1/2x1/8" chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn't better here. Yeah, they're wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they're not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32" chains. I guess if you grind your chainring and chain down the handrail every night at the local pub, a bigger 1/2x1/8 " chain will last longer, but most of us don't and it won't.
you really are an idiot, aren't you?

i have Profile cranks on my MTB, which require a 1/8in chain.

#17 ·
alexrex20 said:
you really are an idiot, aren't you?

i have Profile cranks on my MTB, which require a 1/8in chain.
Sorry to dig up an older thread here... I'm planning an SS build using Profiles and caught this in my search results

Profile cranks by themselves do not require a 1/8" chain. It depends on the sprocket. Since 3/32" chains are widely used in BMX racing, many sprockets are designed for them, the Rennen and Profile Imperial for example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.