Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd let this one accumulate some miles before putting in a review.

I've ridden it in the mountains of western North Carolina, the mountains and foothills of California, and the forests of Virginia and Maryland.

It's as great as they say, and I've sold my Behemoth and Milk Money, this is my only offroader now.

It is definitely a rigid bike, maybe a bit more compliant; but the setup and angles make it simply pure fun to ride. I've never had a bike I like to ride more. It goes where you point it, climbs really well even on steep gravel roads, and is incredible in tech sections; it handles really well in slow speed situations. I have a back that gets sore after riding for a couple of hours, but the more upright position on this alleviates that problem, which is a huge plus for me.

I've ridden it fixed, with a Rohloff, but it's best for me as a SS. It's 21 pounds even as a SS, and that's with non crazy-light tires with tubes, the cyclometer, and a 1/8" drivetrain with steel cog and an Izumi V chain.

It's a great piece of gear.

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,875 Posts
Frame looks way too small for you. Even if you have the "min insertion depth" for the seatpost, that's for the seatpost and the frame is seeing an incredible amount of leverage.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jayem said:
Frame looks way too small for you. Even if you have the "min insertion depth" for the seatpost, that's for the seatpost and the frame is seeing an incredible amount of leverage.
Size is perfect, thanks. This size frame is ridden by much taller riders than I, seatpost is not close to min insertion. I'm only just over 6' w/35" inseam.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
This is at least the seventh or eighth Jones I know of in our area. We need to start a club or at least have a meetup or sumthin' ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,875 Posts
2xPneu said:
Size is perfect, thanks. This size frame is ridden by much taller riders than I, seatpost is not close to min insertion. I'm only just over 6' w/35" inseam.
Ahh, so it's a large. Nevermind.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I looked at that seat height and thought, what is this guy, 6'5" riding a med frame? But if its the fit you like, more power to you.

I've often wondered how those ride, no demo days obviously. :D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Jayem said:
nope...short as possible seattubes rock. looks good to me...thats how these frames roll

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drevil said:
This is at least the seventh or eighth Jones I know of in our area. We need to start a club or at least have a meetup or sumthin' ;)
Could be because we're a bunch of guv'mint lackeys up here drawing decent salaries while the rest of the country is looking for jobs. :confused:

Good idea about a meetup...I've been trying to get on some of the MORE epics but keep missing cuz I'm out of town or whatever. This weekend?

Re seat height, Fo hit it...it's not my particular preference, it's the way the bike is designed. It's a great feeling having that much space (hence the name) between you and the top tube...feels like you have a ton of room to move around (and you do) without smashing something on the frame with your legs, knees, nuts, whatever. As Jeff has said to me and many others, everything about the frame is wrong but it all morphs into an incredibly rideable package. It's also not something most of us can appreciate on a quick ride around the parking lot.

My advice to anyone who has thought about buying one (and I understand the many people who either don't get it or hate it), if you have the opportunity to get one and can afford it, just get it. If you really don't like it after riding it for a month or two, you can sell it for little or no loss, and you'll never have to wonder what it is you're missing. I'd give odds that most people who buy one will never sell it.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
2xPneu said:
Re seat height, Fo hit it...it's not my particular preference, it's the way the bike is designed. It's a great feeling having that much space (hence the name) between you and the top tube...feels like you have a ton of room to move around (and you do) without smashing something on the frame with your legs, knees, nuts, whatever.
:thumbsup:

few months ago i would have been a skeptic but after receiving my latest (non Jones) bike with a super short seattube (16.5") I am SOLD on the fact "traditional" geo is for the sheep

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
vindiggitydog said:
It looks like you are riding so far above the frame?? Seems like it would give you a disadvantage in handling.
simply answer: it doesn't matter. If the distances between saddle, pedals, bars, wheels, etc are the same then you can make the frame any shape you want without affecting the fit or handling

that said, technically this low frame design probably handles a bit better because of a lower center of gravity

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
boomn said:
simply answer: it doesn't matter. If the distances between saddle, pedals, bars, wheels, etc are the same then you can make the frame any shape you want without affecting the fit or handling

that said, technically this low frame design probably handles a bit better because of a lower center of gravity
Agreed...low CG designed by JJ, the BB is low and as a result I run very short cranks (167.5mm) which makes the saddle height even higher...the seatpost would be 1/2" lower if I was running 180s. I'm a big fan of short cranks as I spend a lot of time on a fixie.

The low CG is one reason the low speed handling on these is so good. If you look at some of Aquaholic's vids, that boy can do a trackstand plus on his Jones and reposition the rear end while he's standing still. No way do I have his skills, but I can still do a lot more at slow speed on this bike than I can on any other I've ridden.

G

·
boomn said:
The irony of dismissing frame shape's importance to handling in a thread about a Jones Spaceframe...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
craigsj said:
The irony of dismissing frame shape's importance to handling in a thread about a Jones Spaceframe...
i think you think I'm stupid;)

A bike with Jones geometry but a normal frame shape will handle very similarly to a full-on Spaceframe, the difference being in center of gravity like I mentioned. On top of that, construction and tubing design that supposedly make the Jones feel plusher should not be confused with the issue of geometry.

My point was comparing like to like, not Jones to non-Jones

G

·
boomn said:
A bike with Jones geometry but a normal frame shape will handle very similarly to a full-on Spaceframe, the difference being in center of gravity like I mentioned.
I believe both aspects of that comment are wrong and I suspect Jones would say so too. Not sure why you think compliance has no impact on handling and I can't imagine anyone not seeing that the spaceframe shape is chosen to effect compliance. You think the frame shape is simply style?

boomn said:
On top of that, construction and tubing design that supposedly make the Jones feel plusher should not be confused with the issue of geometry.
No one has confused that, but if you are suggesting that it is tube choice, and not tube shape, that has that effect you are mistaken.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
craigsj said:
I believe both aspects of that comment are wrong and I suspect Jones would say so too. Not sure why you think compliance has no impact on handling and I can't imagine anyone not seeing that the spaceframe shape is chosen to effect compliance. You think the frame shape is simply style?
I never said it was about style. I certainly understand that the funky design of the tubing is especially for achieving the holy grail of "vertical compliance and lateral stiffness" and I don't doubt that these are noticeably more comfortable because of their compliance. But I do still say that compliance has no more than a minute effect on handling or traction. Vertical compliance on a rigid HT isn't going to do what an FS bike does for traction and the most effect I think it would really have on handling would be settling in a bit more around turns. Certainly not a game changer. I've done enough rigid riding to understand how harshness vs compliance can change how the rider pushes the bikes, but it doesn't change the handling

Jeff sells a steel version of the frame done in a traditional double-diamond style, about which he says the "Steel frames have the same geometry, clearances, features, gearing options, handling and balance points as the titanium frames but at a lower cost". The only difference he really tries to sell for the spaceframe is comfort, but that does match well with goal for an all-day rigid bike for rough riding. He talks about handling a lot on his site, but only in the context of his funky geometry.

craigsj said:
No one has confused that, but if you are suggesting that it is tube choice, and not tube shape, that has that effect you are mistaken.
nope, not what I meant.

G

·
You might be right about the stupid part. ;)

I wonder if you would ever propose this in any other thread or whether you would expect anything other than laughter in response. Nevertheless, I will expect nothing other than repeats of your position here. It's not about discussion now, it's about winning.

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
FoShizzle said:
:thumbsup:

few months ago i would have been a skeptic but after receiving my latest (non Jones) bike with a super short seattube (16.5") I am SOLD on the fact "traditional" geo is for the sheep
Couldn't agree more! For my latest bike project I also went with a smaller seat tube than usual and the bike just felt great (going up or down)!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts