Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to take my 7 year old up for the first time, is there enough terrain that won't scare him away? Also, if we're taking our time are we going to get in the way?

We are thinking about heading up Friday.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That is a tough call. At this point in time I would consider that SolVista has limited options for pure beginners and 7 year olds on small wheels:

1) Nature's Way (a green run)
2) The pump track right at the lift

I might be over cautious but I would not recommend any other trail as they all have (for 7 year old beginners) challenging to impossible sections. Definitely stay away from anything blue, black or 'expert only'. The last thing you probably want is to see your 7 year old crash.

And yes, on the 3 black runs you would definitely be in the way. SolVista is high speed riding. I can see scenarios where you could get run over.

SolVista is actively building more beginner runs. But as of now options for young kids are very limited.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
NiceBike, wait for Keystone or head over to Vail. Another thought is shuttle Apex w/ your 7 year old (get the wife to drive) and save time and money.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Winterpark would be another alternative. They have this nice playgrounds for kids at the base station besides pretty smooth runs.

·
<100%
683 Posts
Does your son have a bike with real suspension and good brakes? Is everything is good working order and is familiar with how to use it?

Mine was 8 when we started. First we shuttled South Valley Park. Then we shuttled Mt. Falcon. Then Chimney Gulch. If he can handle that, there are trails at Sol Vista and Keystone (green and blue) that he can handle.

Bike skills are only part of what is required. Teach him the rules of trail. Yielding, getting out of the way, what to do when he crashes, not stoppng in places where he's not easily seen from above are all very important to keep him safe and enjoying the experience.

The more protection he's wearing the better. Knee/shin pads, upper body armor, full face helmet, full finger gloves are all good ideas. He will go down and when he does, the more he wears the more likely he'll get up and get back on. Once he gets past South Valley Park, t-shirts and foam half helmets are not sufficient.

Forget about enjoying the trail at your speed and skill level. You're a guide whose only purpose is to protect him and keep him safe and having fun.

Most downhillers are super cool and patient when it comes to kids.

Pm me if you have q's, need more info, gear, or someone to shuttle with. I went through it all last year and the scars are still pink

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.