Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little warm but I like the heat! There is nothing difficult about this trail itself but it kicks my butt lugging my heavy physique up it's slight incline! This time I knew I was on the right trail and accomplished making it to the top. Next goal is to push it over and come back on Quartz. I still enjoyed the run back down Taliesin. The direction changes are a blast for me. May have even seen a rattler on the run back! Could have been a stick also as it was one of those moments, stick or rattler? Most likely a stick! :skep:

·
livin' the dream......
1,941 Posts
Good job. I'm thinking I might roll from 104th/Bell tomorrow and go out/back to Taliesn overlook. Any time I get to ride Paradise Trail, it's a good thing! Still one part going up quartz that gives me trouble, about 25ft of the steepest, climb. I WILL clean it soon!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just working on having fewer breaks. I think I had 9 on the way up today but I push 310lbs with bike, gear and me, I'm not 6.7 either! I've never seen a rider as large in the belly as I am on the trail! That is not an excuse just what I deal with. I did about 600 feet of climbing today and it was harder then my pavement, fire-road Javelina loop which was 900 feet. Looking at the google earth GPS data I recored. Another 60 feet or so of climbing on Quartz and I would have had mostly a down hill run back to the little park where I started. I'm telling myself that was a plan to skip it today, as now I have a goal for next time. ;)

Bottom line it was a good ride today!!!

·
Banned
7,581 Posts
trb2929 said:
Bottom line it was a good ride today!!!
that's all that matters.

I did Taliesin to the overlook ( I still have to walk some of the jeep road up to the overlook) ,then down lost dog and a coast all the way down Via Linda to mi casa on 110th.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
livin' the dream......
1,941 Posts
Question: When I come from Quartz, before I get to the split to contiue up Quartz (to the left) or Lost Dog (I think) that climbs up to the Overlook, I pass the Taliesin Trial sign (right behind the houses). If I jump on this, where does it end up, and do you guys like the trail?

·
Registered
99 Posts
tjkm said:
Question: When I come from Quartz, before I get to the split to contiue up Quartz (to the left) or Lost Dog (I think) that climbs up to the Overlook, I pass the Taliesin Trial sign (right behind the houses). If I jump on this, where does it end up, and do you guys like the trail?
If you take Taliesin until it ends, you will be on Westworld Trail right next to the Sanctuary Golf Course. Westworld Trail is basically wide dirt road or fire road, and almost all flat. If you come down Taliesin and take a right on WW, follow it for about 1/2 mile and you will come to the bottom of Quartz at the golf course. If you continue west on WW, you will run right into a trailhead at the WestWorld horse arena facilities, or you can take a left after crossing under Thompson Peak and find the concrete path to Horizon Park on 100th Street. If you go left (east) when Taliesin hits WW, after 1/2 mile the trail ends at Cactus/Frank Lloyd Wright.

I ride this trail quite a bit, and there is nothing technical about it, but it can be really fun to rip down as the last part of singletrack on my way home. Then again, I'm no downhiller, so others may find it boring.

·
livin' the dream......
1,941 Posts
Good info, thanks!

·
livin' the dream......
1,941 Posts
Just got back, had a great ride. I got denied on the one spot on Quartz I get hung up on, so I got off and walked back down, picked a different line and cleaned it.

Lot's of grumpy hikers, not sure why people don't say hello back. Oh well.....! Ran into two Stewards on horseback coming back on Paradise. Those guys are everywhere, I usually see them on foot, first time on horseback for me. Don't think I've seen any on bikes.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am a bike steward for the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy, but I rarely wear the yellow jersey they gave me, so you wouldn't know I'm a steward unless I told you. I report trail conditions, fix minor problems, and sometimes talk to people and answer questions they might have. It's a good way to give a little back while doing something I love.

·
livin' the dream......
1,941 Posts
az_cholla said:
I am a bike steward for the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy, but I rarely wear the yellow jersey they gave me, so you wouldn't know I'm a steward unless I told you. I report trail conditions, fix minor problems, and sometimes talk to people and answer questions they might have. It's a good way to give a little back while doing something I love.
The Stewards I saw had blue t-shirts on that said "Steward" with some smaller text under it I could not read. Is this same group that you belong to, or is there more than one volunteer group operating out there. I am interested in volunteering, can you PM me with details?

Thanks.

·
livin' the dream......
1,941 Posts
Thanks, I will check into it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts