Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I heading to Sedona tomorrow for the first time and will probably start from the Bike and Bean. Me and my three riding buddies are capable of decently long rides and are pretty capable technical riders. I am planning on taking my Niner Jet 9 and was wondering if you all could suggest a good 20ish mile route for someone new to Sedona. Help!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'll be there tomorrow as well. From Bike and Bean, we are riding Slim Shady to Templeton. From there, we will take the Back O' Beyond road back to the highway, ride up the highway to Morgan road. From Morgan we will ride Broken Arrow, to Little Horse, to Llama to Bellrock pathway, and ending back at the Bike and Bean. I'm not sure how many miles that is, but its a big fun loop. There are a million variations out there, and you really can't go wrong. Additionally, Highline is amazing. If you haven't done it, it well worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
North on Slim Shady, Hiline, left on Baldwin, Templeton, HT, (Little Horse? Maybe? Can't remember), Llama, go up to Chicken Point, back down to Llama, Bell Rock pathway. While you're at Chicken Point, you could also do High on the Hogs and loop that back to Chapel or something.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'll be there tomorrow as well. From Bike and Bean, we are riding Slim Shady to Templeton. From there, we will take the Back O' Beyond road back to the highway, ride up the highway to Morgan road. From Morgan we will ride Broken Arrow, to Little Horse, to Llama to Bellrock pathway, and ending back at the Bike and Bean. I'm not sure how many miles that is, but its a big fun loop. There are a million variations out there, and you really can't go wrong. Additionally, Highline is amazing. If you haven't done it, it well worth the effort.
You could cut out all that road if you take HT instead of Templeton, go left on Bell Rock Path and continue past the Little Horse trailhead, you will have to go through a neighborhood, but all intersections where you need to turn are marked with trail signs to get you to Mystic. Take Mystic to Hog Wash and that'll bring you to Broken Arrow. IMO it's a much more fun route and you wont have to ride down 179 during peak tourist season on a saturday...

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We did slim shady to hiline to some trail by the creek. Then took ht across to the other side of the road. Basically, we followed easy's route. Until the end of ht. Finished up by just coming back on bell path way because I was pretty beat. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sweet. We ended up doing Slim/Templeton/Mystic/Hog Wash/Broken Arrow/Bell Rock Pathway. It was 15.5 miles of bliss. Sedona is too much fun. It helped that I was on a brand new Pivot Mach 6. That bike makes even someone like me look competent.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
We did slim shady to hiline to some trail by the creek. Then took ht across to the other side of the road. Basically, we followed easy's route. Until the end of ht. Finished up by just coming back on bell path way because I was pretty beat. Thanks for the advice.
20 mile rides in Sedona are not easy! Sedona has a 3 to 1 rule. Take what you are used to and for every three miles make it 1 for Sedona single track.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20 mile rides in Sedona are not easy! Sedona has a 3 to 1 rule. Take what you are used to and for every three miles make it 1 for Sedona single track.
I might give it 1.5 to 1. I had the flu on Thursday and was feeling pretty weak. So by the time HT ended, I was done. I think had I been up to full strength, I might have been able to hang in there. Nonetheless, it was a pretty neat place to ride. Hiline was maybe one of the most fun trails I have ever been on. I wanted to take in more of the view, but I decided that not dying was a bigger priority.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, 1.5 to 1 is no joke. I also know now why the riders from Sedona just kill it when they come to PHX. That terrain is just plain scary. I just wish I could have made it to HOH. Oh well, I will go back soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.