Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ordered my 05 RX100 frame back in mid-October I also ordered a Fox RLT100 fork. Since then I've had some time to reflect on my choice ;) Since there seem to be some issues with excessive dive, over-progressiveness, and possibly downtube clearance, I'm wondering if the F100X might be a smarter choice.

I did a search of the archives and found only one really relevent thread in which K man lamented his choice of the RLT over the 100X due to bob/dive.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with either or both forks ?

For what it's worth, I've spec'd an RP3 shock. I expect the bike to see about 65/35% fast trailriding to racing ratio. Local terrain is mostly tight rooty hardpack.

It seems I still have a little time to change my mind before the frame ships.(sigh)

Thanks

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
BarkBuster said:
When I ordered my 05 RX100 frame back in mid-October I also ordered a Fox RLT100 fork. Since then I've had some time to reflect on my choice ;) Since there seem to be some issues with excessive dive, over-progressiveness, and possibly downtube clearance, I'm wondering if the F100X might be a smarter choice.
I was going to go with a F80RLT for my SS Ti HT, but because of downtube clearance issues, I went with a F80X. Similarly, with my RX-100, I knew the F100RLT would be a problem, so I went with a F100X....but, I did also have Titus extend the headtube slightly to accomodate a F100RLT in the future, should I decide to go that route...which, having owned to Foxs (granted, the same model with the exception of an additional 20mm), I think I'd look at some other non-Fox options. I'm just not sold on Fox.

At any rate, the downtube issue is real and should definitely be factored-in. I ride small-sized frames, so I can expect to have issues. Others, who ride larger-sized frames, have also had issues. It's been over 3-yrs since this issue was noted here and I've called/emailed Fox and they don't seem to care, as I never got a reply. A buddy of mine, who just bought a Large Norco carbon hardtail, had to remove his rebound dial from his F80RLT so it would clear. He was pissed after I told him about the issue....after he had already cut his steerer tube. I know he would have gone with a non-Fox fork, had he known earlier.

As for my F80X and F100X, I've got mixed reviews. My F80X had to go back for warranty within the first 2 weeks: knocking and dead TerraLogic cartridge. Both were warrantied. Then, I had to replace the stock seals with a set of Enduro...much better. My F100X has been a little better (only had to replace the seals), but I'm just not sure about the TerraLogic. There have been more than a few occassions where I've caught the fork mid-way between locking-out or unlocking...it feels like a harsh thud. So, I'd likely go with the F80RLT or F100RLT, if it weren't for the downtube issues. At which point, I'd look elsewhere because I'm not impressed with Fox's quality and customer service.

Just my experiences. There are lots of 100mm options out there.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Not much of an issue on the 05 Fox. The 04 or older had brake dive issues, or essentially rode too low in the stroke. The 05 doesn't have this problem. I have a 05 talas. Compared to the 04, it is nite and day better in this regard.

Personally i'd go with an RLT100. I have a Reba on my rx100, and i find that the travel adjust is not as needed on this bike compared to my ML. Since the RX100 is closer to a pure racer, the weight advantage of a fixed 100mm fork might pay out.

If it weren't for the consistent f100x problem reports, i'd spec a 100x.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Fox, etc

I am going to be running my '03 Float RLC 100 if my new RX-100 ever comes. This fork gets full travel, but does suffer from a little too much dive. It sounds like getting Fox Forks Pushed is the answer for getting a better compression stroke. Push will adjust the compression damping so that the compression adjuster actually makes a difference. Then one could keep the spring rate light and dial in some more compression damping to control dive and wallow. I test rode my friends 100X and did not like the inertia valve, I just did not feel comfortable not knowing when the fork was locked or open-it just was not very predictable. People have reported here that the '05 RLT 100 has too progressive of a spring rate and therefore will not achieve full travel. I think I remember someone posting that they were running a '05 RLC 130, set to 110 mm travel and getting a superb ride on the RX with that setup. A Pushed RLT might be good as well.
I know that I am just talking Fox, but there are the others. I just cannot accept a fork that is not an open system; the open system forks seem to stay supple much longer between overhalls and generally work better for me. Marzocchi is open, but they seem to have no 100 mm option anymore, and I am not sure about their new damping system (TST) does it provide a lockout setting?

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I forgot about the PUSH option.
I think a PUSH'd fork be it a float 100 or rlt100 is the way to go. Unless you weigh ~150-170, aren't you already out of the stock valving range anyway?

I have an 04 f80 rlt and like it very much. It could brake dive just a bit less, but overall not that bad. I ran this on my rx80 and really got comfortable with it. I typically ran ~80psi, which is a touch high for my 155lbs by the charts, but it worked well. For a cushier ride, 65psi was more the ticket.

On the Friday demo ride, i saw that Andy fron socal runs a PUSH'd fox fork. It seemed extremely well behaved for how fast he was going.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Spoke w/Gus at Titus

As always Gus was very helpful, and offered to check clearance on an RLT mounted on a medium RX100 they had built up. He said it cleared by approximately 1 cm.

Since most of my riding is for pleasure, I guess I'll stick w/the RLT since it is probably the more multi-purpose fork. I'll probably have it pushed when the time comes for an overhaul.

Thanks to all for your responses !

BTW, my frame is at the anodizers right now so I'll hopefully have it w/in two weeks or so.

BB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.