Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all you Front Range forum weather junkies, what's going to happen by the end of this week. Are we really looking at another two feet? :eek:

Also heard the storms are just stacked up and this pattern is going to continue another 4-6 weeks?

Ed what do you think? :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hey, I found out the hard way last night that Indiana avenue between arvada and superior got 2+ feet last night. So did Simms/Alkire west of Standley Lake. 86th avenue had about a foot. I'm not sure how much snow Wadsworth got at church ranch, because I couldn't see anything.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The snow cave in my front yard is nice and toasty though. :D If we get another 2 feet on friday i'm going to build a snow cave city. Not that I'm complaining. If we're going to get winter cold then bring on the snow.

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
Depending on Thursday forecasts I'm heading up into the mountains to ski the freshies Thursday night or Friday morning. I'm hoping I get up there then it dumps and closes I-70, leaving all the suckers that had to work on Friday digging out their driveways with no way to get to the resorts.

Bring on the snow, I'm getting pretty used to trainer rides and neighborhood icy streets for my biking fix anyways.

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
Pivvay said:
The snow cave in my front yard is nice and toasty though. :D If we get another 2 feet on friday i'm going to build a snow cave city. Not that I'm complaining. If we're going to get winter cold then bring on the snow.
Ahhh, memories. I haven't built and slept in a snow cave for quite some time, I don't think this weekend will be a time for me to do it again though. If I could seal up the entrance good enough I'm sure it would be around freezing temperatures with me in it, but I probably wouldn't seal it well enough and freeze my butt off this weekend with the single digit temps and my 20° (claimed) bag.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Models

The ol' trusty computer models show some snow, but they are not showing quite as much as they did for the first two....yet. It's still pretty early to tell because only one model goes out far enough to show the weekend. Tomorrow, one other model will show through Sat so it will get a bit more certain. Either way, right now, Friday isn't looking very good.

Thanks to the wind, I atually saw some dirt this AM. I almost wanted to get the bike and go roll around in it for a few minutes to savor the moment. The 50mph winds kept me in the car though....

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Computer models

What kinds of changes does it take to see more or less snow? One of the forecasters was predicting a three day storm like in 2003. I was on the crappy end of that storm, "only" getting 2 feet.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Weather Gods

I weather man I am not....I'm just spend too much time on the web, and I try my best to ignore anything I hear the weather gods on TV say.

I have a hard time believing that it would be that big. It's so hard to get that much moisture up here at one time, especially with the cold weather that we will see. The GFS is showing .5 to .6 inches of water over the whole storm right now (3 days). That would be 13 to 16 inches of snow assuming the snow has the same moisture content as the last two.

·
2,856 Posts
Pivvay said:
Ed what do you think? :)
I think I better get my butt home from CA before Thursday :cool:

The storm is still a long ways out with many ingredients that have to come together for a significant event. We'll get something out of it and it will get cold, how's that ;)

A blurb....

"ONCE AGAIN SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE
ESPECIALLY IN THE FOOTHILLS...URBAN CORRIDOR AND OVER PORTIONS OF
THE PLAINS. SNOW DENSITIES WILL BE MUCH HIGHER WITH THIS SYSTEM AS
COMPARED TO THE PAST FEW SO ONLY A QUARTER TO HALF INCH OF LIQUID
COULD PRODUCE QUITE A BIT OF FLUFFY SNOW."

Fingers are crossed for a "significant event" :D

I missed the CO windstorm :thumbsup:

Ed E

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
we need that plow in my neighborhood

The amount of snow he plowed just in that video would take me a half hour with my trusty shovel I remember winters where it snowed here in Denver once a week, like clockwork, for months. I build houses and all we did that winter was shovel, then work a little, then shovel...week after week after week. So if that's the pattern this year I've seen it before. Last January I got a hole dug and a foundation in and I remember telling my co-workers again and again how we could just as easily be snowed in and nobody working.

My prediction for this week's storm is 7 inches in Denver, 16 in Evergreen and below zero at night Friday through Monday. Daytime temps will be in the single digits in Denver. And I hope I'm wrong wrong wrong. From now on all storms just stay in the ski areas, please!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Kubota?

Goldenboy,

Is that a Kubota? What model? I have a B7100, and I'm really considering a blower like that.

There was a used one for $1500 just before the storms hit, but the guy had just sold it when I called. I could sure use it now.

Is that Coal Creek Canyon?

goldenboy said:
It was fun the first two times but its cutting into my weekend freetime. It takes me about three hours to plow the road, the driveway and shovel the path.

blow this

·
Registered
938 Posts
xcguy said:
My prediction for this week's storm is 7 inches in Denver, 16 in Evergreen and below zero at night Friday through Monday. Daytime temps will be in the single digits in Denver. And I hope I'm wrong wrong wrong. From now on all storms just stay in the ski areas, please!
My prediction is that I'm going to be sitting on my butt watching a lot of football!

·
Beer
124 Posts
used2Bhard said:
I weather man I am not....I'm just spend too much time on the web, and I try my best to ignore anything I hear the weather gods on TV say.

I have a hard time believing that it would be that big. It's so hard to get that much moisture up here at one time, especially with the cold weather that we will see. The GFS is showing .5 to .6 inches of water over the whole storm right now (3 days). That would be 13 to 16 inches of snow assuming the snow has the same moisture content as the last two.
What are your most trusted sites for weather forecasts?

·
Registered
546 Posts
? for both of you

honkinunit said:
Goldenboy,

Is that a Kubota? What model? I have a B7100, and I'm really considering a blower like that.

There was a used one for $1500 just before the storms hit, but the guy had just sold it when I called. I could sure use it now.

Is that Coal Creek Canyon?
I have been looking at a couple of Kubota's B2710 used & B7800 new. Do you guys like what you have? Most I have talked to seem to really like them. Green paint is too expensive.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Kubota

Kubota makes a great product, but they are expensive, especially their implements. I think if you price comparably sized/featured JD and Kubota, they are about the same. Russian and Chinese tractors are cheaper. Kubota is much more popular on the east/west coasts, for some reason.

If you are pushing snow, don't even think of getting a 2WD model, and you are better off with hydraulic drive (HST as opposed to GST). The GST models are really made to plow long, long streches of ground, not to be constantly shifted back and forth between forward and reverse, not to mention that it is much faster and easier to go from F to R with hydro drive.

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
mateomtb said:
I have been looking at a couple of Kubota's B2710 used & B7800 new. Do you guys like what you have? Most I have talked to seem to really like them. Green paint is too expensive.
That there tractor is a Kubota L3130. When you're looking to buy a tractor, having more horsepower is always better. Anything over 30hp is going to be able to do the job at hand, especially if you plan on using PTO powered implements at the same time you are moving (i.e., snow blower, mower). Oh and don't forget 4WD. Rule of thumb :thumbsup: is don't skimp, a tractor's value will hold it own for about 15-20 years, so if you're done with it someone else will always buy it off you.

I have used my tractor (near I-70 El Rancho exit) to do all types of work. You start finding things to do with it just because its fun, I mean work, uh helpful, uh... and you become your neighbor's best friend, especially in these bigger snowfalls.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Endo King said:
What are your most trusted sites for weather forecasts?
Here for the forecast:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Golden&state=CO&site=BOU

Here for the computer models. I use these for precip, wind, temperature, etc.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/
Check out the three models. Click on precipitation.

They have been wrong, but they are more accurate than the local news, and weather.com. The snow totals have been dead on with every storm this year in Evergreen. Golden is hard to tell because of the wind....

·
Registered
914 Posts
i personally enjoy seeing nature occasionally disrupt our almighty human society, whether it results in sittin at a friends, snowed in, sippin on a stockpile of beer, or braving the inhumane conditions :D and going out backpacking and snowcamping...

good times

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.