Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of rebuilding this ti Phoenix. Setting up the rear brake, I notice the cam pulls are a bad angle in relation to the brake rollers. The brake would work much nicer if the rollers were on the backside of the arm. If this bike had a Suntour XC roller-cam it would be easy to flip the rollers to the back side. But on the WTB, the roller and the spring stop are somewhat integral. What to do.

Move the roller to the back side. Leave the spring stops on the top side with a new busing over the bolt. The cable pull is perfect.

Before:

After:

And everything just clears.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sfgirlonbike said:
Mike,

You still working on that bike?!!

It's more scratched up afterwards. ;) (Yeah, I know, different side.)

Way to make it work, Mr. Engineer.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Waiting for bits and pieces to come in.

Scratches - nothing a good old pocket anodizer won't take care of :D

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
ssmike said:
What to do.
What about moving the cam up perhaps by shimming it higher than just flipping it so the cable is on the bottom?

Moving the plane of where the cam is positioned up higher will require a longer bolt and a thicker washer.

You probably wouldn't be able to tell it had a thicker washer if the cable was on the bottom.

·
Fat City Michael
606 Posts
That looks SLICK!! :thumbsup:

You also probably could've bypassed the frame's cable guide noodle and used one of those ugly ones that are attached to the seat clamp/bolt, but the way that you figured it out is way more cool!

ssmike said:
I'm in the process of rebuilding this ti Phoenix. Setting up the rear brake, I notice the cam pulls are a bad angle in relation to the brake rollers. The brake would work much nicer if the rollers were on the backside of the arm. If this bike had a Suntour XC roller-cam it would be easy to flip the rollers to the back side. But on the WTB, the roller and the spring stop are somewhat integral. What to do.

Move the roller to the back side. Leave the spring stops on the top side with a new busing over the bolt. The cable pull is perfect.

Before:

After:

And everything just clears.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
crconsulting said:
What about moving the cam up perhaps by shimming it higher than just flipping it so the cable is on the bottom?

Moving the plane of where the cam is positioned up higher will require a longer bolt and a thicker washer.

You probably wouldn't be able to tell it had a thicker washer if the cable was on the bottom.
Those are also solutions one would employ to make fine tune adjustments, but this one needed to move the thickness of the arm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.