Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a disc brake holdout for many years and didn't put a disc brake on my bike until last year (only one on the front). I kept my v-brake on the rear because I feel that I didn't really need to spend more money on something that already worked, but I had to admit that the disc up front increased my stopping power tenfold.
So the last few rides have been in varying amounts of snow and ice and I noticed that the rear end felt abit squirly in the tight stuff. I chalked it up to the ruts in the snow and ice and didn't think much about it until I was finishing up a ride the other day and realized that my rim was WAY out of true and was hitting my vbrake. I took the wheel off to true it and found that the rim was split along the brake surface almost all the way around. No wonder the rear end felt squirrly. New England riding is really tough on rims with traditional brakes. Lots of mud in the spring and summer and mud, snow, and ice in the winter combine to make a very abrasive slurry that ruins rims with v/canti brakes.
Time to upgrade to disc all around.

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Could have been worse

Glad to see the rim didn't completely fail you. That could have been disastrous and painful.

Bob

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
46,596 Posts
galleywench said:
I was a disc brake holdout for many years and didn't put a disc brake on my bike until last year (only one on the front). I kept my v-brake on the rear because I feel that I didn't really need to spend more money on something that already worked, but I had to admit that the disc up front increased my stopping power tenfold.
So the last few rides have been in varying amounts of snow and ice and I noticed that the rear end felt abit squirly in the tight stuff. I chalked it up to the ruts in the snow and ice and didn't think much about it until I was finishing up a ride the other day and realized that my rim was WAY out of true and was hitting my vbrake. I took the wheel off to true it and found that the rim was split along the brake surface almost all the way around. No wonder the rear end felt squirrly. New England riding is really tough on rims with traditional brakes. Lots of mud in the spring and summer and mud, snow, and ice in the winter combine to make a very abrasive slurry that ruins rims with v/canti brakes.
Time to upgrade to disc all around.
Let me guess your holding off on buying a cell phone as well? Welcome to the twentieth century........:D Glad your ok, that could have been ugly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.