Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the Monagas MTB Challenge at the Monagas Equestrian Park in Bayamon, PR. I organize, mark the course and officiate the kids venue along with my wife and some parents that stand along the course to keep an eye on the kids.

Race conditions were perfect until guess what? The sky opened and a torrential rain began. Rained for the durantion of the national classes, the kids race and the beginer classes, basically rained non stop for the duration of the whole event. Didn't took any pics due to the rain.

My kid races on the 7-8yr old class and currently leads the class. Today he started with the left foot, a flat on a recognition lap, the rain and a nasty fall. The fat was fixed borrowing some levers and a pump but the fall was another thing.

He practiced the course last Sunday with me and I explained to him that the entrance to the first singletrack was not a passing zone, guess what? He tried a pass a slower rider and took a fall, the bad part was that he got hit in the throat with the handlebar (he can't explain how). I was taking a close look at the exit of the singletrack and noticed that he didn't exit on time. I found him with the bike between his legs, crying and screeming his lungs out in pain. I tried to calm him and after he calmed, took some water and told me that he was done, guess what? After exiting on foot the singletrack he saw the public and they started to cheer him on. He climbed back in the saddle and finished 3rd.

I could see that he was in pain but he decided to keep riding hard until the end. This was the highlight of the venue for me as a parent and official. Most of the riders usually quit on adverse conditions or after a hard fall but he kept on racing and secured some precious championship points.

This is my proud dad post for this week, hope you enjoyed it.

·
beer thief
4,925 Posts
Nice story, congrats on the boy getting back in the saddle.

My own son (almost 12) had a race Thursday night. He's never been into it much before this year, but a couple friends have been doing it and he's suddenly psyched after tasting the podium. Even psyched to the extent of going riding alone and doing a few hill climbs.

This month's race was mostly flat with a bunch of singletrack sandwiched between short doubletrack sections. He got a bad start and got stuck behind some folks in the early going, with his main rival way out front. Each time they popped out onto the 2-track he had moved up, and I was amazed to see him come out of the last section of woods right on the rival's wheel. "Sprint to the finish" I told them, and they both took off hammering. While I didn't get to see the finish line, my wife said they were dead even, very exciting.

Later he came up and told me they posted the results and he won. He is more charged than ever. He told me his legs were toasted but he just kept powering to the line. It's great to share some of those father-son moments, better than Little League even.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They seem to get more psyched after tasting victory. Congrats to your kid, he really earned it.

I love to see them race, give all they have in the process and if your kid wins feels even better and that's why you see proud parent posts here.

If I can get some pics will post them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts