Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few hours of poring over maps and aerial photos led me to another obscure place in southern Utah that appeared to have promise on paper. The research paid off! This area has good potential with plenty of jeep roads, volcanic slick rock, plenty of rough overgrown singletrack, ponderosa pine forests, and clear blue water...Sort of reminded me of a poor man's Big Bear. There is just enough snow and ice- making me wait until spring to explore further.

Attachments

·
since 4/10/2009
34,397 Posts
I would guess somewhere in the SW part of the state...either east or west of St. George. Altitudes are too low to be SC, and the terrain doesn't really look like what I've seen in the SE. Beyond that, I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not St. George Area

Ponderosa pines don't grow below 5 - 6,000 feet. It's not in St. George. It's not directly east of St. George. It could be out towards Enterprise. The first picture looked like 3 Peaks in Cedar but could it be east of Cedar?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
warmer, hot, scorching...

icegeek said:
Enterprise?
LyingGuide said:
Ponderosa pines don't grow below 5 - 6,000 feet. It's not in St. George. It's not directly east of St. George. It could be out towards Enterprise. The first picture looked like 3 Peaks in Cedar but could it be east of Cedar?
Alright, I thought it would take a little longer for someone to figure it out. It's at Enterprise Reservoir in the Bull Valley Mountains. As is, this really isn't a prime biking destination for the masses. The jeep road around the south side of the reservoir is fun and quite challenging for a 2-track. There is a lot of primitive singletrack but it is suited more for horses unless you don't mind pushing some sections. Much of my ride was in wide gravelly canyons (actually a good riding surface when frozen) that, according to maps, had singletrack but has since been scoured out (trails, brush, trees and anything else) by floods.

All in all, a cool place. If your the type that likes to ride virgin terrain, and you don't mind bush-wacking some, I'd say it's definately worth exploring the area. The campground at the reservoir is one of the most unique I've seen with tons of little canyons and caves- kids would have a blast. According to maps, the Bull Valleys have plenty of singletrack. Really, I've just wet my toes with this ride. I can't wait until spring to take the plunge. I'll report more on the area in the spring.

·
THE ZOOMING ZOOMER
25 Posts
Im spending Christmas there.

My wife and I recognized right off. She is from Enterprise and spent a lot of time around the reservoir with her family growing up. We are going there to spend Christams with her family. I have ridden around the outskirts of town before but it never dawed on me to ride around the reservoir. Makes sense though. Good call. Maybe I'll take my bike down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.