Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I need to get new tires this season. For the past 7 seasons I have been relying on WTB Weirwolf 2.55 front and rear. I am at a point where I can no longer find these available, the only closeouts left as the LT version which is a low tread set-up. The new Weirwolfs are 2.1 and a thin 2.3. SO, any suggestions? I ride all-mountain and want a confidence inspiring tire in all conditions. Where I ride the trail can be muddy one day and loose gravel the next. I am looking at the Schwalbe Fat Alberts, they sound great, but have horrible reviews. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BostonBoy said:
Hey everyone,

So I need to get new tires this season. For the past 7 seasons I have been relying on WTB Weirwolf 2.55 front and rear. I am at a point where I can no longer find these available, the only closeouts left as the LT version which is a low tread set-up. The new Weirwolfs are 2.1 and a thin 2.3. SO, any suggestions? I ride all-mountain and want a confidence inspiring tire in all conditions. Where I ride the trail can be muddy one day and loose gravel the next. I am looking at the Schwalbe Fat Alberts, they sound great, but have horrible reviews. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The WW 2.55 has always been the LT design.

The 2.5 used the same tread as the smaller WWs.

All current WW sizes are yet another tread design.

There is no true all-conditions tire. A Most-Conditions model is the best you can hope for.

I like the Conti Trail King 2.2. Big, grippy, does well from dry to not too deep/thick mud.

Many others depending on your local conditions and riding style.

If something has horrible reviews, how can it sound great? (I have not heard many bad things about the FA)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check out the maxxis ardent you can get it in a 2.4 and multiple compounds. I rode it last season and it didn't really work well for Michigan but for the conditions you describe it seems like it may work for you. They are the grippiest tire I have ever been on they just roll slowly for my liking.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
CST is coming out with a new tire, the BFT (big ****in (fat) tire) and I'm pretty excited to see how it preforms. It will come in a 2.4 width and has a good all around tread design (from what I have seen). Also comes in a few different tires, folding and maybe a dual compound..not sure yet.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
I use Continental Rubber Queens 2.4 and they're my favourites (I think that Conti renamed them Trail Kings). I also like Maxxis Aadvantage in 2.4, and also liked the Nevegals (from what I've read, Nevegals are a love them or hate them).

·
Registered
88 Posts
zgjp82 said:
Check out the maxxis ardent you can get it in a 2.4 and multiple compounds. I rode it last season and it didn't really work well for Michigan but for the conditions you describe it seems like it may work for you. They are the grippiest tire I have ever been on they just roll slowly for my liking.
Sorry it was the Advantage not the Ardent everything else is the same

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ordered up a set of Conti Trail Kings from Amazon. They have the 2.4 folding beeds for under 40 bucks. If nothing else the trails here will be MUDDY from the melting snow for at least the next two months, so these sound like great tires to start the season with.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BostonBoy said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ordered up a set of Conti Trail Kings from Amazon. They have the 2.4 folding beeds for under 40 bucks. If nothing else the trails here will be MUDDY from the melting snow for at least the next two months, so these sound like great tires to start the season with.
Hope they fit your frame. The 2.2 is similar size to many 2.5 tires and the 2.4 is massive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.