Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Blue Pig build is done and I have the first ride under my belt. This is my first steel bike and I must admit the ride is interesting :) I am not sure if it is the steel, the small seat post, or the combination thereof but it is quite...well....boingy! Going over rooty ground is kinda funny.

A ton of pics are here including weights for all the parts: http://www.hardknockracing.com/gallery/?folder=/bike/bluepig

Frame: 16" Blue Pig black
Fork: RockShox Sektor RL Uturn 150mm
Crank: Shimano SLX
Pedals: Nukeproof Neutron
Stem: Ragley Stubbing 50mm
Seat: Ragley
Bars: Ragley Wiser
Seat Post: Ragley Spike
Front derailleur: SLX
Rear derailleur: SRAM X.0
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Brakes: Avid Elixir CR
Shifters: SRAM X.0
Wheels: Mavic 317
Hubs: Hope Pro 2

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ah, I love this time of year, when the winter breaks, the trees begin to bloom, and the pigs come out to play in the mud!

Excellent set-up. I'm really jealous of those Sektor forks. Are those the new WTB Bronson tires?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks :) The tires are WTB Wolverines and I do not care for them at all... I had these wheels/hubs on a Pitch and the Ignitor tires I had on them failed (bubbled out between the tread) and these were the only thing I could get my hands on ASAP. They do not have anywhere near the grip the old tires did.

One comment on the Sektor....I am 180lbs and the stock spring in the Sektor is nowhere near acceptable...I can blow thru the available travel waaay too easy....gotta get a firmer spring sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much sag to you have on the front fork? Mine goes down about 20mm with me just sitting on it...and I can stand on the pedals, lean over and push and blow thru another 20-30mm no problem :confused:

I am wondering if mine came with a light spring somehow...is there any way to tell externally/part number?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
woodc said:
How much sag to you have on the front fork? Mine goes down about 20mm with me just sitting on it...and I can stand on the pedals, lean over and push and blow thru another 20-30mm no problem :confused:

I am wondering if mine came with a light spring somehow...is there any way to tell externally/part number?
Sag is normally measured just sitting on the bike, and 20mm on a 150mm fork is only about 13% sag so it doesn't sound excessive at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boomn said:
Sag is normally measured just sitting on the bike, and 20mm on a 150mm fork is only about 13% sag so it doesn't sound excessive at all.
True. I may see how it goes as is...looks like the LBS wants $55 for the firm spring which is for 180-200lbs and another $50 to install it. I hate to break open a brand-hammer new shock :)

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
woodc said:
True. I may see how it goes as is...looks like the LBS wants $55 for the firm spring which is for 180-200lbs and another $50 to install it. I hate to break open a brand-hammer new shock :)
First of all, loving your build, looks great.

As for the spring issues, I have a 2010 Pike 454 Coil and the stock spring is also way too soft. Ended up purchasing an Extra-Firm spring (which still might be a tad soft for me) for $40 and I requested to have it installed when they will be swapping components for me from a On-One frame to a Transition TransAM. Then I saw the shop charge of $40 for the spring swap. Then this go me thinking, I plan on losing weight this summer and that would mean I would be out again another $100 pretty soon with a new Firm spring. Luckily for me, my builder has the week off and that is just enough time for me to receive the 2011 Fox Float 36 in the mail and drop it off at the shop before the parts swap. Price difference was about $100 or so between the 2 when I took into account all the extra Pike springs and swap costs. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is certainly a plus for the air forks/shocks :D I could have purchased the Sektor Solo (air) for the same price and it is even a tad lighter IIRC but I wanted that "coil plushness" :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.