Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, posting a pic into the 'Gallery' did not work either, as the pic has to be "approved" before it is shown. I don't have my own webhost, so I'll need an easier option. Attaching pics onto the other board was much easier once I figured out how to resize my pics to be able to post them. Can anyone help me on this?
Tom

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts

loonyOne said:
Well, posting a pic into the 'Gallery' did not work either, as the pic has to be "approved" before it is shown. I don't have my own webhost, so I'll need an easier option. Attaching pics onto the other board was much easier once I figured out how to resize my pics to be able to post them. Can anyone help me on this?
Tom

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
martini, That is mucho easier than trying to actually design and organize a web page. Plus, it has kind of a lame format. The utwente site is much better. Thanks a bunch. Where in MN are you located?

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Speaking of Bontys... I finally got around to taking a picture of mine. I have two Race Lites, both from '97 (Santa Cruz built, but post-Trek purchase). This one does not see an trail use, and has mostly all '97 8-speed parts. My other Bonty has newer components and still gets ridden on trails regularly, but I can't be bothered to take a picture of it (maybe one day).

Click on the pic for the full size version.

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
laffeaux said:
Yeah, I could use a set of new stickers. Any chance you want to part with those?
I think you can still buy them new from Trek and/or Bontrager 'dealers'. That's what I was told by a guy that works at Trek. When I decide how I want to get mine repainted I am going to find out what colors are available. Damn! I just remembered that the X-local wrench works for Trek, I'll give him a jingle and keep all those interested, posted.

·
'Calm Down'
854 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I would love to get hold of some of those. They look much better than the standard in my opinion.

Thanks
Like these? And no I'm not selling them. But I'd be happy to scan a set if it would help.

jw

Attachments

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TruckeeLocal said:
Sorry about the lighting quality ...
Ti + Bontrager = The Holy Grail of mountain biking. If I were to ever have a custom built, it would center around the Bontrager geometry fer sure. All those years ago, the dude was ahead of his time.

·
Hill crawler
314 Posts
The Holy Grail

loonyOne said:
Ti + Bontrager = The Holy Grail of mountain biking. If I were to ever have a custom built, it would center around the Bontrager geometry fer sure. All those years ago, the dude was ahead of his time.
I think the point about The Holy Grail is that no one knows whether it still exists or not, but the assumption is that it's worth searching for. But let's recognize that while the Bonty Ti-Lite wears its age well it does have some problems ...

1. "Lite" is spelled "Light", even in Santa Cruz - although I can't be sure 'cause I spend my time in Capitola when I'm there
2. The stickers come off, and they're not standard
3. It's got a 1" steerer so upgrading the fork is a problem
4. Dirt sticks to it like glue, especially the Sierra moon dust when mixed with sweat
5. There's no disk brake tabs (but a new fork would allow for a front disk brake)
6. It's build strong, not necessarily light. Mine weighs in at 26 pounds
7. It wasn't actually built in Santa Cruz like other classic Bontys
8. It allows for the use of 'U' brakes - what were they thinking ?
9. I never received my beer glass after I registered it
10. Some folks think that a Bontrager is a Trek sub-brand

Having said that it competes for my attention on off road rides with my Ellsworth Id - it just depends what I feel like doing on the day - fire road climbs and easier single-track get the Bonty.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
TruckeeLocal said:
I
6. It's build strong, not necessarily light. Mine weighs in at 26 pounds
9. I never received my beer glass after I registered it
According to the Bontrager catalog, the TI Lite was about 1/2 lighter than the Race Lite, which was 1/2 lighter than the Race. My Race Lite is 25.5 pounds with a heavy Maszocchi fork. Did you fill your fork with lead?

Also, I'm still waiting for my beer glass too. I've moved several times since buying the bike, but I'm sure it will arrive any day.

·
Hill crawler
314 Posts
Beer glasses and weight gains

If you look you can see I don't care about weight. I'm running 2.4" tires (I think they're motoraptors) - on a 1996 bike it's remarkable that there's clearance. And a Brooks saddle. And it stays dirty - an advantage of a Ti frame. I save some weight with the missing stickers though.

And I've been practicing consistently for the day when my beer glass finally arrives.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
some responses a few things with little order or reason

The ti-lites weren't the lightest things around but the payoff for the extra material is that they weren't as whippy as many ti bikes tend to be. I switched from a racelite to a ti-lite a few years ago mainly because Bontrager had stopped making frames and I wanted one that would be with me a while. I was surprised by how much the ride differed. The ti-lites are stiffer than their steel brothers.

Truckee, first off, I appologise for being one of the out of towners crowding up your town this weekend.

There are a bunch of Marzocchis available in 1" still. A marathon sl will save maybe a pound off your rockshox. It is a hell of a better fork and you'll save more weight yet going over to threadless, I always hear the estimate of a 1/4lb. The best thing I hear about them is the dampening position that allows the fork to compress about 2/3 into the travel and sit low with around 1" of travel left. It works great for climbs on fireroads and such since you can bring your weight foreward and lower but keep the same position on the bike. You would be able to bring the stem in a little without sacrficing much in climbing ability since the fork can drop to help shift the weight foreward. This would make your bike a little better for the rewards after the climb. There is a picture of KB on the Bontrager web site doing a trans-Alps ride on a ti-lite with this setup. I hope to be switching mine over to this fairly soon. I'm thinking spring. Does anyone have any experience with this fork? I am curious as hell.

Every now and again I think of having disk tabs put on. Has anyone looked into this? The ti-lites are solid. I think they would be good candidates. I guess I would want to contact Bontrager or the company that made them for a greenlight.

-U brakes? What am I missing here. Wouldn't the bosses need to be lower for U's.

-We are riding bikes from 7 years ago, I can forgive the premium given to strength over weight.

-the stickers were ugly (bad), but they come off easily (good). They could have done much better on this one.

-Bontrager is a Trek sub-brand, sad but true. If Bontrager never sold to Trek, there would never have been a ti-lite. There never would have been a bunch of privateers either but oh-well.

Sorry for the rant, and clogging your town.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Bonty Ti- Lites

While we're on the subject of Ti Lites, I'll post this pic again.
Personally I don't like the way they ride. Too twitchey for my tastes. Cramped cockpit.
They are rare and nice to look at though...but perhaps not as rare as Ti Fats...
Or in my case Ti Slingshots.

·
Hill crawler
314 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I guess I would want to contact Bontrager or the company that made them for a greenlight.

-U brakes? What am I missing here. Wouldn't the bosses need to be lower for U's.

-We are riding bikes from 7 years ago, I can forgive the premium given to strength over weight.

-the stickers were ugly (bad), but they come off easily (good). They could have done much better on this one.

-Bontrager is a Trek sub-brand, sad but true. If Bontrager never sold to Trek, there would never have been a ti-lite. There never would have been a bunch of privateers either but oh-well.

Sorry for the rant, and clogging your town.
And some responses ...
First let's note that I'm still using, and enjoying my bike so was being somewhat fascetious about the negatives on the bike

I've had a positive experience contacting Bontrager (and even older - Ritchey). They were helpful but I can't remember what I contacted them about.

The U-brakes - maybe I used the wrong terminology but I'm refering to the brakes that mount under the chain stays and which are designed to clog up with mud. Also my frame has an unused 'braze-on' for a brake cable on the bridge between the seat stays. I've never bothered to file it off.

Damned if I care about weight. My fighting weight when I was semi-pro was between 150 and 160, and now I'm between 190 and 200. Plenty of room to improve there rather than on the bike. I actually prefer a heavier, stiffer, frame to handle the climbing. I've got big tires, a front fork, a comfortable saddle, and a butt to handle the suspension/flex duties.

I saw some neat stickers on some Ti-Lite frames in Germany. But again I don't care. Who cares ? I'm alone out there most of the time and I don't care what anyone thinks of my ride, plus or minus, on the odd occasion when I come across someone. That and Bontys are kind of common up here anyway.

Nor do I care that Bonty sold out to Trek. Mines a real Bonty, almost. And KB has every right to 'sell out', as did Tom Ritchey and others.

Please clog 'my' town. But stick to the weekends if you could. Then we can enjoy the recreational opportunities in peace and quiet during the week at discounted prices. The weekends are the price we pay for a ridiculously good life-style. It's unfair really !

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.