Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So freeskier46, mentioned that he was gonna head on over and ride K Trail in Apache Junction, so I decided to tag along. A few utter riders, RNC, Eda, Dave and Matt also showed up for a little tour of the trails.

During my 50 minute drive from Ahwatukee over to A.J. I heard the radio dood say that it was 39 degrees out. Luckily, it didn't seem that cold, cuz I just had a long sleeve shirt and shorts on. I think by the time I got there at 8:30 it seemed have warmed up a bit. The clouds looked pretty cool, and I'm kicking myself for not getting a time lapse camera set up. Drat!

The plan was head out of the north end of the parking lot onto Lost Goldmine Trail, climb the little hill, then do a short descent and then at the left hand hair pin turn where the trail heads due north, we hoped over a few boarder rocks then jumped on a flat but worn trail that headed due south (no, I'm not gonna shorten this terrible run-on sentence). About 5 minutes of this trail, we tied into the jeep road that headed basically due east. From here, we pedaled for about 20 minutes as the jeep road head east, but also a little bit north towards the Superstoopid Mountains. And from here, we jumped back onto K-Trail, which some schweet-schweet single track. It basically takes you throw a bunch of twisty turns and washes. It generally heads south for a while and then curves to the west. It made so many twists and turns that I wasn't exactly sure where we were going to end up, until we got there. The trail also crossed over the road several times, it is a tough to figure, but once we got done with ¾'s of the loop it started to make sense. Its not like I really don't get lost or anything, cuz the natural landmarks are pretty easy to keep track of.

It had rained the day before our ride, and in the dirt spots, it was a tad bit mucky. It was kinda weird seeing dirt and mud in the desert. Despite the momentum killing mud, the trail was pretty easy to ride. I think our 10 mile loop only had about 1,000 feet of climbing, and easy climbing it was. We only climbed two or three small hills. We didn't include Quartz Ridge, but there is actually a hill to climb there, I guess.

Despite the hammerfest XC feel of this trail, there are a few really, really choice gnar moments on it. Nice bolder rolls and big 5 foot drop (which opted for the non drop b-line on). I'd say this trail wasn't made for big bikes, but fun could still be had there, but if you are a single speeder, you'd pretty much dig this trail.
The views really amazing. It is tough to beat having the majestic cliffs of the Superstoopid Mountains in the background. I don't think I've ridden in a place with a higher concentration of saguaro cactus.

I think the six of us were out for about 4 hours, and who spend that much time riding a measly 10 miles??? Well, when you are having as much fun as we were session on stuff, the you'd understand.
My only problem was that I messed up my Jump Stop chainguide when I bobbled on some techiness, and I wasn't able to get it set properly. So for half the ride my chain would fall off. Drat!

Here is a MTBR link for further discussion about this trail.

Here is a vid of the day:

·
Registered
766 Posts
I rode the trail the day before and it has something for just about everyone. Some how we figured out a way to do more climbing then descending (the trail was also pretty soft and we left our directions at home so we were a bit lost the whole time.)

During our ride I was thinking this trail system would be the perfect place for people like Lee McCorrmick and Gene Hamilton to hold clinics. The Gold Mine Trailhead has a large enough parking lot for drills and the trail network have enough variety of features that makes it ideal (switchbacks, rocky sections, steeps, corners, etc...).

Besides feeling like we climbed the whole time (which after we finished we realized that we did) I was very impressed with these trails. It reminded me of the trails around Green River Wyoming.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GilaMonster said:
Nice write-up, Sam! Great video, but yours always are. Maybe I'll catch you out here next time you're in Gold Canyon (and not, heaven forbid, Apache Junction). :lol:
Yeah man, I gotta roll with y'all on a big group ride there.

I shoulda sold it more on Gold Canyon, I forgot about that's what they call the area.:madman:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CrankyMonkey said:
Besides feeling like we climbed the whole time (which after we finished we realized that we did) I was very impressed with these trails. It reminded me of the trails around Green River Wyoming.
Yeah, freeskier lined it out pretty good route, to where we did the easy pedal up the jeep road, and ripped down the single track. Shoot, we only did like a 1k of climbing, which I barely noticed. Not that I'm a strong climber, but it was pretty easy pedaling.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tuff Gong said:
Cool trail and video, thanks!:thumbsup: Are my eyes messing with me or are you on a Righty during 3:05 - 3:10?:)
Rats! You caught my editing trick.:madman: (I did a horizontal flip of the vid clip to change up the shot, so it looked like I staged way more shot locations than I actually did.) Am I clever or a fraud?:D

Ahahahahah! You know, I wasn't even aware I now had a Righty until you posted. Good eye.:D

I'm gonna haveta post that clip on the C-dale forum. Maybe I'll say something like "Check out my new Righty I got at Walmart". That'll really get 'em:thumbsup:

·
"No Clue Crew"
1,231 Posts
u2metoo said:
Rats! You caught my editing trick.:madman: (I did a horizontal flip of the vid clip to change up the shot, so it looked like I staged way more shot locations than I actually did.) Am I clever or a fraud?:D

Ahahahahah! You know, I wasn't even aware I now had a Righty until you posted. Good eye.:D

I'm gonna haveta post that clip on the C-dale forum. Maybe I'll say something like "Check out my new Righty I got at Walmart". That'll really get 'em:thumbsup:
Awesome !

·
How do I do that?
561 Posts
lol, sorry to spoil it for ya man:p I think the trick worked perfectly though:D

In all honesty I would have never noticed it if I wasn't using a Lefty myself. I wasn't thinking about it at all 'till a few unused synapses woke up in the back my head when my eyes thought it saw the entire rim from the left side:crazy: Did a double take rewind, ahhhh soooo......thats pretty slick:D

Ha, I guess they could add another reason to the Lefty naysayers arsenal....they're a dead giveaway of mirror image editing tricks:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sam, video turned out great. It's amazing how the camera adds a few pounds to people (other than Eda, of course) and it takes a couple feet off of all the drops. Seeing Dave hit that big drop on film made it look almost doable for a guy like me...but not quite. We are probably going to hit the trail Saturday morning and see how it fairs with the trail a little drier. Thanks again for putting that together.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RNC said:
Sam, video turned out great. It's amazing how the camera adds a few pounds to people (other than Eda, of course) and it takes a couple feet off of all the drops. Seeing Dave hit that big drop on film made it look almost doable for a guy like me...but not quite. We are probably going to hit the trail Saturday morning and see how it fairs with the trail a little drier. Thanks again for putting that together.
Good rolling with ya RNC, and your crew. Yeah, that drop looks pretty intimidating for a chump like myself.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
XLNT video, just confirms that this is one cool little gem of a ride, the K Trails there in Gold Canyon. Gotta get back out that way to get a good taste of it. Looks every bit as nice as Black Canyon Trail in terms of fun and aesthetics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.