Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy at the local Performance found me a returned Access frame hanging around down in Austin. So they shipped it up. $120 total with shipping. I'll keep up with the build log here.

My son is 47" and 50lbs 6 years old. He has been racing local MTB scene on a SS Redline BMX(20") geared for local trails at 36x18 on 145mm cranks and running it tubeless with 21x1 3/8ths tires.

The Access will be just a bit big, but I think he can handle it. If not, it will last a long time so it can just sit and wait. But, I just don't see that happening. Going to do a 1x9(34/11-34) in bright orange and blue anodizing.

Parts List so far...
Access 14.5 - wow! nice frame and light. Will powdercoat it next week, I don't like the flat black or the stickers. Gonna shave the v-brake mounts,too.
Origin 8 Cromo Lite - it's the 396mm A/C at 1120grams. That will lower the front end alot. The curved legs and rake should ease the twitchy-ness. Will shave the v brake mounts also before powder.
Truvativ 40mm stem/Origin 8 15* flat bars - shortens the reach for him
Woodman headset and seat clamp - blue ano
Sun Ringle Equalizers - blue ano...very sweet wheels by the way
SRAM X7 rear deraileur
SRAM X9 twist shifter
SRAM 11/34 Cassette
Odessey junior seat
Origin 8 Seatpost
AC 140mm cranks - blue
XT Bottom Bracket
ESI Grips - Blue
Race King - front 26x2.0
Small Block 8 - rear 26x1.75
BB7 Brakes Jagwire housing/cables
Tektro Mini Levers

this is an 80mm stem in pic...40mm on the way

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got a Race King 2.0 That I'm thinking of running up front tubeless then pick up a smaller tire for the rear. 1.8 or less maybe? The smaller rear tire would lower the gear inches which would be helpful since the smallest gear I can run is a 34t on the BMX cranks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, got the Race King mounted up front using Gorilla Tape Tubeless. Looking at maybe a Small Block 8 (26x1.75) for the rear. Also shaved the v-brake mounts on the frame and fork. Still have to final sand and send to powdercoat tomorrow. Most parts are starting to come in the mail, so more to come next week.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The color combo looks awesome. Can't wait to see it all assembled. The BB7's would be a great choice, you could set the front brake light so he doesn't take any unnecessary rides over the bars.

·
Bike Geek
735 Posts

We had to get a 118 bb for my son's build with shimano 3 rings cranks. don't know how different your cranks are, but the mechanic at my local performance was blown away that the "standard" 113 would not work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm using Crupi BMX cranks. Right now I have a 120+mm old XT BB on there and it looks like a 49-50mm spacing from mid seat tube to chainring center. Prob good enough for a 1x9???

I'll get a pic later of the bike with my son for sizing. Standover is just a tad big. But I think he will manage. Seat is slammed and with 150mm cranks it gives him perfect leg placement, I had a back up set of 140mm just in case. Went with Tektro mini levers and
BB7's which will be here next week. The mini levers seem to play well with the SRAM X9 twist shifter. Still waiting on rear tire.

What size bar width is everyone running for their kids? Mine races BMX with a 21". Bars are currently 26.5" and I think I will start with taking an inch off each side leaving 24.5". I can trim the ESI grips however.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a pic for sizing. Rear tire came in tonite via UPS which always runs late to our place. The Small Block sealed right up Gorilla Tape Tubeless in no time at all. Standover could be better, but he was on and off easily. Shifter and rear deraileur going on tomorrow and I'll get it on a scale.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
wycough said:
I'm using Crupi BMX cranks. Right now I have a 120+mm old XT BB on there and it looks like a 49-50mm spacing from mid seat tube to chainring center. Prob good enough for a 1x9???

I'll get a pic later of the bike with my son for sizing. Standover is just a tad big. But I think he will manage. Seat is slammed and with 150mm cranks it gives him perfect leg placement, I had a back up set of 140mm just in case. Went with Tektro mini levers and
BB7's which will be here next week. The mini levers seem to play well with the SRAM X9 twist shifter. Still waiting on rear tire.

What size bar width is everyone running for their kids? Mine races BMX with a 21". Bars are currently 26.5" and I think I will start with taking an inch off each side leaving 24.5". I can trim the ESI grips however.

I would go with 25" bar width.

·
Registered
483 Posts
nice work! the powder coating came out really nice. i built up this 12 inch jamis for my now 10 yr old. i wanted to have it powder coated a sparkly lime green but the shop wanted 200 dollars for it. we polished it instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After watching him ride today, probably going to the back up 140mm cranks. He is chopping too much when he stands up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bike is done! Gonna start riding now. It ended up being a little over 22lbs. I'll have it under 22 in no time at all. And I'll get the final pics up with new cranks and BB7's on Friday.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts