Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...and will hopefully remain there. :D

Anyways, after about a year and a half of butchering my entry-level hardtail Kona, I started looking for a full-suspension bike that would be able to tackle more aggressive riding without me worrying that something would break or become loose over time. After several months of browsing through what bike stores in my city had to offer, I ended up with an '08 Extreme X6 Comp a couple of weeks ago. Although I was aiming at something a bit more uphill-friendly, the X6 won over other AM/Trail bikes I was considering mainly because of its price, especially since the store was making room for the '09 batch, putting a nice discount on the '08 models.

The bike is extremely tough, but also pretty bulky. Okay, I know I'm not being fair since I'm comparing it to my hardtail, but don't get me wrong - I don't mind the extra weight if it means stronger components. The 160mm/6" of travel is great at absorbing anything I throw at it, but since I'm not of the type keen on jeopardizing their structural integrity with insane riding, I will probably have the guys at my LBS reduce the fork's travel to 140mm, set the rear travel to 5" and put on some faster rolling tires once the Nevegals wear out, which will end up in me having a 38-pound trail bike. :D
Oh, don't worry, I'm perfectly aware that this bike is an overkill for my riding style, but I really don't care. I'm just happy knowing (or at least hoping :D) that the parts won't come loose after several months of riding. If it means that I'll have to put some extra effort in pedalling through that last ascent, so be it.

Unfortunately, I've already had some issues with the brakes (Shimano 485s), but after thorough rotor and pad cleaning/sanding and burning them in, they work just fine. If they begin to give me trouble again, I hope my LBS will show some sympathy. As for other parts, so far so good. I've heard of some issues with the '08 55 R, mainly the rebound cartridge (courtesy of SR Suntour) going bananas when rode very aggressively, which, come to think of it, is not something I should worry about.

So, in a nutshell, for the tl;dr types: Bought an '08 X6 Comp. Overkill - don't care. Minor brake issues - fixed. Happy.

*EDIT* Here are a few pictures. I apologize for abysmal image quality, but my phone camera is utter crap.

·
I have new balls
135 Posts
I've had mine for two years, beating the crap out of it and I just ran into my first problem, I recomended this bike to alot of people. the bike has been great to me, post some pics of your ride.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
I would leave the travel as is you might find yourself riding harder and more aggressive with the plushness. There is no such thing as over kill there is under kill though. Swap the stem for a 80mm giving you a better overall riding set up especially when railing trails. Brake calipers may need to be centered properly especially during break in of the bike. You have a awesome bike, welcome to the forums and enjoy the new year of trails to come. :rockon:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
aaron04 said:
I dont mean to jack this thread, but what is the difference between the X6 and a Shift frame? They look identical except the shock location? Are they the same frame with the shock tabs relocated? Nice Ride!
Completely different frames and geometry. It is amazing how differently the frames/bikes change with as little as .050" turns into a whole new world. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dogonfr said:
I would leave the travel as is you might find yourself riding harder and more aggressive with the plushness. There is no such thing as over kill there is under kill though. Swap the stem for a 80mm giving you a better overall riding set up especially when railing trails. Brake calipers may need to be centered properly especially during break in of the bike. You have a awesome bike, welcome to the forums and enjoy the new year of trails to come. :rockon:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm
Thanks for the advice and the links. The stem is already an 80mm one, which I find to be just enough for any sort of riding I do.

On a sidenote, it's seen its first snow ride this morning, and it was simply awesome.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
klejton said:
Thanks for the advice and the links. The stem is already an 80mm one, which I find to be just enough for any sort of riding I do.

On a sidenote, it's seen its first snow ride this morning, and it was simply awesome.
The picture makes the stem look longer. :cornut:

Awesome will be looking forward to some ride reports through the new year. :rockon:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.