Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another newbie here. I did some (very little) road racing / riding back in high school. That was over 20 years ago.

In the last 10 years I found myself on a sport bike, throttling myself down the x axis of the earth at 130 mph on the local race tracks. While that's fun, it does a metric ton of damage to your bank account. That, and at 40 years old, I'd like to find a hobby that won't kill me so easily.

So, here I am. I'm looking at different entry level mountain bikes to continue my 2 wheel thrills. I'm a sponge right now. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Used to ride and race motorcycles and although mountain bikes are cheaper they can do considerable damage to you bank account too. Especially if you get in to racing them.
The benefit though is in your health.

Anyways, like motorcycles you get what you pay for. Entry level means different things to different people. What is your budget? Where do you live and what trails will you be riding? What type of bike are you wanting, etc etc.

Soak up the stickies at the top of this forum. It will give you some answers and help you ask the right questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my heart set on a Specialized Hardrock 29er. Not the best bike in the world, but at ~ $500, I won't lose much sleep if I decide this isn't the sport / hobby for me. I went to a local bike shop and the Specialized fit me well.

I saw some of the "better" bikes at a tune of $6000! My wife is already shaking her head. She knows I have the tendency to go full retard when I dive into something I really like to do.

And I live in the DFW area in Texas.

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
My wife is already shaking her head. She knows I have the tendency to go full retard when I dive into something I really like to do.
My fiance shook her head too.
That was a little over two years ago.
MTB is like JEEP "Just Empty Every Pocket"
I have nine bikes in the garage and am ordering another one within a month.
The $500 for the Spec would be a drop in the bucket and not much of a loss should you change your mind.
Go for it and enjoy the trails.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The correct answer to buy a dirt bike and enjoy everything you missed by riding on the road. Then you buy a mountain bike to train for the dirt bike.

=]

Joking aside, I've enjoyed track riding, supermoto track, offroad rec, offroad enduro and harescramble, moutain bike trail and downhill. If you're thinking about making a switch from sport bike/track then I really suggest you try a dirt bike. It's very close to the same thrill level and racing/riding costs are about 50-70% less than on road.

·
Registered
74 Posts
lol...let's see, I've been with my wife for 12 years now...and I was into off roading jeeps (hardcore, like really hardcore), then for a few years I rode a couple sport bikes....so this mountain biking thing, is nothing to her.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did ride dirt bikes for a few years as a kid. I've always thought that I may try it out again.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
That's sweet - Enjoy!! Let us know if you stay with the sport.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello all! I too am new to mountain biking and am also after an entry level bike.

As with JP636, I've been recommended the Specialized bikes. Was pretty happy with both the look and feel of the Hardrock and the Rockhopper at my local stockists. Was just wondering when weighing it up as a beginner, whether people think it's best buying new, or going for a second hand one such as the below?

Would be great to hear people's views and thoughts - I'm keen to get going!

$_80.JPG

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
New = bike with nothing wrong with it and a warranty if something does go wrong.
Used = cheaper but could be something wrong that you don't notice and you have no warranty.

If you are confident in your ability to find issues with a bike and don't care about warranty, it may be worth it. Most newbies however will have no idea on what to look for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply. This is my main issue. I'm able to get my hands on a Specialized Rockhopper, pictured above, for around £200 - retails at around three times that here in the UK.

Now that sounds all well and good, but I've got absolutely no idea what to look for in a second-hand bike!

Dilemma :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts