Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what other women my size would recommend. I'm 5'3" and my inseam is 29''. My torso is 22-23'' (not sure if I measured that one correctly).

My research online tells me that this means I should get a 15-16'' frame, with a standover height of about 26-27''. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if I should worry about WSD or not. I will be going out today to test ride some bikes and get a better idea.

I'm looking to get a FS that won't kill me on climbs but will be great for some rough DH too. So far, looking online, the bikes I'm really drawn to are the SC Juliana, Heckler, Blur, the old Bullits, and the Giant Reign 2. I'm not sure if these would be good for what I want or not. They're just the ones that struck me as bikes I would love to ride, especially the Blur.

My other problem is finances. I only have about 300 bucks, and the only FS's I can find in this price range are Ibexs, which so far haven't appealed to me, and I haven't seen many reviews about them one way or the other, but I'm assuming because of the price that they won't be that great. So the only way for me to get a decent bike seems to be to finance one.

As far as financing goes, I've always had great credit, but have recently been informed that there are a couple deliquent accounts showing on my credit report. I'm still working on finding out what they are and why they're there, and I don't want to wait until that's resolved to get a bike. So, if anyone can point me to a place in San Diego County where I can finance a bike during this time while my credit is not so good, especially if it's a place that allows refinancing once I get my credit issues resolved, that would be great as well.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I was on Bicycle Warehouse's site recently, and I think they work with a financing company.

I think they carry Giant, Santa Cruz, and Specialized as well. I'm really happy with my Stumpjumper (FSR Expert 120).

Oh, and I believe their PB store has a test track, though I've never been.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aword4you said:
I was on Bicycle Warehouse's site recently, and I think they work with a financing company.

I think they carry Giant, Santa Cruz, and Specialized as well. I'm really happy with my Stumpjumper (FSR Expert 120).

I did apply for financing through them, and am waiting for a response. They do have a test track, and that's actually where I'm heading today to try out some bikes!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
if you WSD or women specific design in your search, you should be able to bring up lots of discussion that might help you decide if you want to go that way or not.

formica

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Don't get too hung up on the idea of WSD... it doesn't work for everyone. Personally I'm 5'3" with a 30.5" inseam, and I ride a 13" men's frame, which fits me well. One of the best things you can do when buying your first bike is to get it correctly fitted by a professional. That way you can save the measurements for future reference and you know you're starting from a good base point to adjust from.

- Jen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mahgnillig said:
Don't get too hung up on the idea of WSD... it doesn't work for everyone. Personally I'm 5'3" with a 30.5" inseam, and I ride a 13" men's frame, which fits me well. One of the best things you can do when buying your first bike is to get it correctly fitted by a professional. That way you can save the measurements for future reference and you know you're starting from a good base point to adjust from.

- Jen.
Yeah, I figure the whole WSD thing doesn't matter too much, but I had to ask once right?!

Plus I'm not digging most WSD bikes anyway. Aside from the SC Juliana, not of them scream BUY ME!

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
253 Posts
Financing

As regards to credit...do you get credit card offers in the mail? Some of them give the zero introductory rate for a specific time etc. If so, fill one out and see if they send it to you. If so then take it too Bicycle Warehouse and tell them you would rather just finance through them and that you qualifed for X amount via credit card company and see if they will bite. Many times if they know they are going to lose the money to someone else they will deal and since you obviously are qualified with someone else there isn't a huge risk. They will probably require you do close the credit card account which should be fine. I just went through some hoops like this to pay off some bills and in this day and age most lenders are willing to deal if you ask because they know someone is going to offer what you want. One company actually called me back 3 times to see if they could match another bank.

If you qual for one of those 0% for so many months plans just make sure you pay it off within the time and even early if possible. A friend of mine bought a bike with Bike USA and they sent him payment slips. He assumed that the payments were calulated for the 18 months tthat there was no APR. Wrong. He had paid it down to $35 and because he went over the 18 months they billed him all the back interest at 28%. Ouch! Just check what you are getting into.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pedaling pyrate said:
As regards to credit...do you get credit card offers in the mail? Some of them give the zero introductory rate for a specific time etc. If so, fill one out and see if they send it to you. If so then take it too Bicycle Warehouse and tell them you would rather just finance through them and that you qualifed for X amount via credit card company and see if they will bite. Many times if they know they are going to lose the money to someone else they will deal and since you obviously are qualified with someone else there isn't a huge risk. They will probably require you do close the credit card account which should be fine. I just went through some hoops like this to pay off some bills and in this day and age most lenders are willing to deal if you ask because they know someone is going to offer what you want. One company actually called me back 3 times to see if they could match another bank.

If you qual for one of those 0% for so many months plans just make sure you pay it off within the time and even early if possible. A friend of mine bought a bike with Bike USA and they sent him payment slips. He assumed that the payments were calulated for the 18 months tthat there was no APR. Wrong. He had paid it down to $35 and because he went over the 18 months they billed him all the back interest at 28%. Ouch! Just check what you are getting into.
Actually, getting a 0% APR card was my original plan for buying a bike, and I applied for one a few weeks ago. I just got the response back a few days ago, and they said there were some deliquent accounts on my credit report. Just yesterday I found out what was on there, and it's an easy dispute. However, it will take a few weeks for it to come off my credit report, so getting a credit card is not an option until that's taken care. (I guess I could wait but I want a bike now damnit!!)

Bicycle Warehouse actually handles their financing through a third-party finance company, so I doubt they care one way or the other if I use theirs or my own. They get paid either way.

And as far as payments go, I'm a student and will be done with school by June, and should be making tons of money right out of school, so payments aren't too much of an issue. I pretty much just have to keep up with them for 6 more months :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shasha said:
I'm just wondering what other women my size would recommend. I'm 5'3" and my inseam is 29''. My torso is 22-23'' (not sure if I measured that one correctly).

My research online tells me that this means I should get a 15-16'' frame, with a standover height of about 26-27''. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if I should worry about WSD or not. I will be going out today to test ride some bikes and get a better idea.

I'm looking to get a FS that won't kill me on climbs but will be great for some rough DH too. So far, looking online, the bikes I'm really drawn to are the SC Juliana, Heckler, Blur, the old Bullits, and the Giant Reign 2. I'm not sure if these would be good for what I want or not. They're just the ones that struck me as bikes I would love to ride, especially the Blur.

My other problem is finances. I only have about 300 bucks, and the only FS's I can find in this price range are Ibexs, which so far haven't appealed to me, and I haven't seen many reviews about them one way or the other, but I'm assuming because of the price that they won't be that great. So the only way for me to get a decent bike seems to be to finance one.

As far as financing goes, I've always had great credit, but have recently been informed that there are a couple deliquent accounts showing on my credit report. I'm still working on finding out what they are and why they're there, and I don't want to wait until that's resolved to get a bike. So, if anyone can point me to a place in San Diego County where I can finance a bike during this time while my credit is not so good, especially if it's a place that allows refinancing once I get my credit issues resolved, that would be great as well.
I've been reviewing the forum for useable information concerning the purchase of my first (road) bike. I know this is a MTB forum, but I haven't found a women's forum for road biking. I'd like to have a reasonable knowledge on the different types of bikes available, so I can talk intelligently to a bike salesman. I've heard of women specific geometry but have no idea what might be different. I'm loving my spin classes and want to get out! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Amythist said:
ut I haven't found a women's forum for road biking. I'd like to have a reasonable knowledge on the different types of bikes available, so I can talk intelligently to a bike salesman. I've heard of women specific geometry but have no idea what might be different. I'm loving my spin classes and want to get out! I'd love to hear what you have to say!
did you try team estrogen ? They have a huge women's road bike board. I think there are maybe 3 mountain bikers there, the rest are roadie women of all flavors.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
aword4you said:

i was just in their PB store about a week ago and i don't remember seeing a test track....but then again, i didn't venture much further than the gel display since i was mid ride and starving.

rt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*rt* said:
i was just in their PB store about a week ago and i don't remember seeing a test track....but then again, i didn't venture much further than the gel display since i was mid ride and starving.

rt
There is definitely one. I've ridden around it a few times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rzozaya1969 said:
Congratulations, it's a pretty nice bike. How are you liking it?
It's the best thing I've ever bought in my life!

I always wondered how much difference a nice bike would make. I figured 50% of my problems riding were due to myself, and 50% to my old bike. Now I'm realizing it was 80-90% the bike!

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Shasha said:
It's the best thing I've ever bought in my life!

I always wondered how much difference a nice bike would make. I figured 50% of my problems riding were due to myself, and 50% to my old bike. Now I'm realizing it was 80-90% the bike!
Congrats on the new bike. Now go out and ride. :D

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Yeah, is there a bike under all that dirt? I thought all the mud in California dried up this past week. Yipee 70's and sunny all week, early spring. Dang it, I gotta work. :mad:
Maybe ya need to wash that thing now. Nice to see you enjoying that new ride. :D

Sean

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm a Bay Area kid, so I go out of my way to find muddy places. There is at least one creek in all of San Diego!!

I see you live in my hometown. I miss the rainy weather back home. I miss the redwoods. It was 85 degrees here yesterday. It's freaky to have that in February. I heard it was 70 up there this week, and I guess you feel lucky. But after experiencing only 1 inch of rain all winter, I want to come home soon, and I hope it's not sunny and 70 when I do!

And yeah, I do need to clean my poor bike. It's been sitting like that for a couple days. But I think I'll drag it through the mud tommorow first :D

smw said:
Yeah, is there a bike under all that dirt? I thought all the mud in California dried up this past week. Yipee 70's and sunny all week, early spring. Dang it, I gotta work. :mad:
Maybe ya need to wash that thing now. Nice to see you enjoying that new ride. :D

Sean

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.