Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an earlyish ('79-82), black Ritchey ridden by Gary Fisher that I've seen in a few random pics. It's always piqued my interest and that recent thread asking about K-F/MountainBikes decals reminded me. It looked to have a Type II looking fork, with a variation of the early scissor link? brakes Charlie C had tinkered with on the front and rear. I'd love to hear more about this and see some more pics if they exist. Do you remember that bike? I will try and find some pics and get them posted.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
Love the outfit.

There was a lot of hand made one of a kind stuff floating around the shop, and I recall the Cunningham toggle brake among them. It's either that or a roller cam, but the toggle came first. Since the brake didn't use the standard cantilever pivots, it had to have its own fork too. The fork was probably supplied with the brake for the test purposes.

The photo is from a Dave Epperson shoot in Tamarancho that ran in Action Now, and 1980 sounds about right.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Repack Rider said:
... It's either that or a roller cam, but the toggle came first.
It looks like cable housing is run from the lever to the brake so it would be some kind of linkage style brake. Very cool photo. And cross-chaining with a 5-speed and that big ole thick chain ... probably not too much of a problem.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ssmike said:
It looks like cable housing is run from the lever to the brake so it would be some kind of linkage style brake. Very cool photo. And cross-chaining with a 5-speed and that big ole thick chain ... probably not too much of a problem.
yeah, saber cam maybe. I've got a closeup pic of one of those somewhere.

I have heard from a few sources that GF was always trying stuff out to test for trail worthiness and such, so I was just curious as to the special frame. Its the only early Ritchey I've seen like that w/o cantis. Now I need to find that other shot with the mystery straight legged fork.

In reality I guess I havent seen too many shots of Gary on an early Ritchey. Was this his main bike for a while or just a test bike? Is it now just collecting dust in Gary's garage? :)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
bushpig said:
Saber cam are the brakes made for suspension. The early ones are toggle. Check out Cunningham #12 on the Cunningham site and the pic of the brake too in Innovation.
That one looks similar to the one on GF's bike - thick arms, slot at the top. Would that one have been called a scissor cam - although there isn't really a "cam"? The various incarnations of the "roller cam" are interesting: lever link 1, lever link 2.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ssmike said:
That one looks similar to the one on GF's bike - thick arms, slot at the top. Would that one have been called a scissor cam - although there isn't really a "cam"? The various incarnations of the "roller cam" are interesting: lever link 1, lever link 2.
oh yeah, I had a brain fade on the saber cam - I remember now. Upside down toggle basically.

Mike, I think that first one is purely Chuck's design and fab. Or at least that's my foggy understanding.

BP, so there were two brakes with "toggle" in the name - the one below and the '90s version?

Photobucket

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
oh yeah, I had a brain fade on the saber cam - I remember now. Upside down toggle basically.

Mike, I think that first one is purely Chuck's design and fab. Or at least that's my foggy understanding.

BP, so there were two brakes with "toggle" in the name - the one below and the '90s version?

Photobucket
FB - yup. Cunningham's first brake was the toggle brake, pictured and the later evolution of the rollercam was the toggle cam.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
I tried the toggle briefly. The problem was that it was not linear, but "instant on," especially compared to the cantilevers I was used to.

So I tried the fork and the toggle brake on my Breezer. Went down Repack with my fingers on the front brake lever, dropped the front wheel into a hole, tightened my grip a little...and locked the front wheel, followed by a full rotation around it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.