Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok sorry but this is a bit of a follow-up post to Anthonys thread, but I wanted to get suggestions on a good route for the longest/best possible ride in Horsetooth/Lory. I saw a couple routes listed in Anthonys thread but I wanted to be sure and get plenty of bang for the buck (I will be driving from Boulder). What type of mileage should I expect? Which parking lot is the best to start from? Are all the routes snow free?

It sounds like I should definitely hit Mill Creek and go into Lory, but I wanted to see if anyone had a recommended route versus me route finding with the map. It looks like if I start at the Soderberg trail I could probably make a hefty loop up through Lory via Mill Creek. I will probably be riding on Friday or Saturday, whichever has better weather and plan on riding as long as possible. Anyone interested? As far as difficulty goes, the more technical the better, I will be riding with someone who is pretty strong. Many thanks!

·
a dad
2,928 Posts
we go up the doubletrack to wathen, down that...then up, up, up to mill creek...then back up, up, up to spring creek...takes about 3-4 hours..and its really fun, lots of bang for the buck...

·
Bodhisattva
10,872 Posts
Here's something different.

Start at the main (south) lot. Up the service road 2 miles. Left on Audra Culver, down to Wathen (bear left at the 1st intersection and right at the second or you'll wind up on Westridge). Climb up Herrington > left on Towers > right at Mill Creek > through Lory to Nomad > right onto Towers>right on Stout > left on Loggers > right at intersection > left to Carey Springs >right on Towers > left on Spring Creek all the way down > left on Horsetooth Falls then back to lot.

This is a good 3-4 hours with LOTS of climbing.

·
a dad
2,928 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Here's something different.

Start at the main (south) lot. Up the service road 2 miles. Left on Audra Culver, down to Wathen (bear left at the 1st intersection and right at the second or you'll wind up on Westridge). Climb up Herrington > left on Towers > right at Mill Creek > through Lory to Nomad > right onto Towers>right on Stout > left on Loggers > right at intersection > left to Carey Springs >right on Towers > left on Spring Creek all the way down > left on Horsetooth Falls then back to lot.

This is a good 3-4 hours with LOTS of climbing.
yeah thats exactly what we do, but i didn't know all the names...great ride, lots of climbing but the descending is worth all that...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
billybobzia said:
yeah thats exactly what we do, but i didn't know all the names...great ride, lots of climbing but the descending is worth all that...
That sounds like a great ride, looks like it captures pretty much all the trails. I will try to do it. 3-4 hours was my cutoff for driving that far so I will go for it, now I have to decide which day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice! Wow what a ride, Squeaky I did your route except I added westridge also. Mill Creek and Spring creek were my favorites. I can't believe a trail system that good is so close to ft. collins, reserve a spot up there for me as soon as I find work up there. Why do I live in Boulder again? At least it's only an hour drive. Thanks again for the suggestions, we had a pretty windy day (Saturday) but the temps were perfect. I have no pictures, I am still in the stone age of no digital camera, we ended up riding for 4 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.