Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all bikes with hollow crankshafts (e.g. Hollowtech 2 cranks or similar)

Workstand by lelebebbel, on Flickr

Materials:
- about 4 or 5ft of 1" square aluminium profile
- various angle brackets
- 2 straight brackets
- a bag of 3/16" bolts, nuts and washers
- one 9" timber spike
- 10mm PVC tubing to cover said spike
- optional: plastic plugs for the legs. Tape or old bicycle tube to cover the top.

Assembly:
cut aluminium profile, drill holes, and bolt together using angle brackets, until it looks something like this:

Workstand by lelebebbel, on Flickr

Straight brackets are used to reinforce the aluminium where the timber spike goes through.

Use:
Tilt work stand back and insert into cranks. Push/lift bike forward. To remove, push bike backwards, then simply pull out work stand.

Useful for:
Bike storage. Small repairs at home or in the field. If front wheel or forks need to come off, place some weight on rear wheel. To be able to spin cranks 360deg, right pedal can be removed.

·
Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks neat. I have a couple of suggestions though:

If you had made the bar longer, you wouldn't have to remove the right pedal to spin the crank.

Also, you might want to insert it from the left side so you could work on the drive train without interference.
I thought about a longer spindle, but it would make the whole thing way too flexible and large. I'd have to rebuild stand with steel tubes, and I'd need a tapered spindle.

I can't put the stand on the non drive side, because most cranks (including mine) have a cap on that side, so no hole.

I've got my DH bike on this thing here at the moment with a small weight on the back tire, front wheel off and the forks taken apart, works quite well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.