Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We talk a lot about rocks, roots, ruts, babyheads, etc but our area has yet another hazard: deep cracks. There are patches of very expansive soil that open cracks when they dry out. I've measured some cracks to be at least 9 feet deep! Packed soil (ie: trails, roads) crack even more than undisturbed soil.

I ride a lot in the inner coast range of California. On the east side of the mountains, the area is pretty dry. Patches of cracks are a hundred feet or so of trail, usually, and I am very alert crossing them. Many of these cracks are more than wide enough to swallow a tire and some patches are criss crossed to the point where I mostly walk them.

Picture: My bike in a crack. ATVs have illegally driven a lot here and have partially filled the cracks. Imagine what they looked like new. I put the bike in the crack and supported it with a branch - no crash

here.
Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar

Here is a better pic of the cracks. This section was about 100 feet of trail. This is not the worse example by any means.

Natural landscape Plant Landscape Grass Grassland

Got any trail cracks where you ride?

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Time to buy that beach house on Arizona Bay.
The San Andreas Fault is a transform fault. The Pacific and North American Plates are slipping against each other at a rate of 20-35mm a year depending on the location of the fault as its divided into three sections. Faults make for good riding and I live right on top of where the southern section starts. Nearly all the large quakes are on on adjacent faults. A 7.2 is scary AF and no joke.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,120 Posts
Usually happens to me in the spring. I typically put on 20lbs in the winter and when I get back out on the trails my shirt starts riding up and my shorts hang low giving the rider behind me a nice plumber’s crack view. View attachment 2010551
Scott O for President of Crack Club!
=sParty

P.S. First rule of Crack Club: Don't talk about Crack Club

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
We get those here in the east bay area, expansive clay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts