Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So maybe I am late to the party, but I got a set of Jones bars last week (thanks Heenan) and well...they rock!

I know everyone knows about the bars by now, but I am not much of a "gusher", and I am really impressed with these things.

I got the bars last week and did not have a chance to get out and really put them through their paces until today. I decided to try them in the situation where I thought they would perform the worst. 22 miles of tight, rooty, southern singletrack (no fireroads, double track etc...all singletrack) with lots of downed logs. I thought for sure they would not perform as well as my good ol' Hellions, for hopping the logs especially, but let me tell you, they did!

Took me about 6 miles to really get the feel, but after that I felt like I was driving an indy car! I ended up going from a 110x15 Thomson to a 130x5 Thomson , moved around some spacers, and went from a Thomson to a Moots layback post.

Guys, I have ridden some bikes, and I own several 29ers now, but I can say for sure, My rigid SS Monkey with the Jones bars is the best riding bike I have ever thrown a leg over. There is just something about this bike.

BTW - I ran the front EXI at 19psi with a tube to test the lower limit...no flats yet! (rear Bonty at 24psi)

Great tires...great bars...great frames...I for one am satisfied (for today)!

LP

After a bath today...(No comments about the temporary reverse mullet, guys...it is a long story!)

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Nice review! As expected, very much in line with my experiences, they simply rock, making all broomstick bars obsolete.
I did have the racecar sensation, but didn't know how to put it. Racecar is a good thing for me to compare to, as I've tried a formula car one, and it was so much fun!

You must be some sort of a scavenger, green Monkey, black fork?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
It's all about lower arm angle. To let my (shorter) buddy ride my bike, the bars need to be like Lance rides his. My buddy's long upper body brings his shoulders closer over the bars, so his arms are near vertical whereas mine are reaching out like 45º.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Cloxxki, that's right.

So this is why with the H bar, to keep good arm position, you need a longer stem and more angle.

What I found was that if the bars are too flat, I had less control and my hands started to get numb.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Actually I think the longer stems comes from the centre of the grips simply being closer to the seat. The downward angle is required to keep wrists more or less in the same line with the forearms, but angle is mostly depending on relative position of the shoulders to the grips. :)

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the_eleven said:
LP,

Try a ride with those bars rotated downward about 15 degrees. Made them work even better for me.
Thanks for the tip. I actually played around with them quite a bit, and landed on this position. I think if my stem was a little more upright I could angle them down more, but I am real comfortable right now. 10 more trail miles today, and they feel great! I am really amazed at how well I can pull up and hop over logs with these things.

I think the pic is a little decieving. They actually are angled down some. Here is a pic from the side. Would you angle them down even more?

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yea, mine are angled down more than that. But then again, the flat part of my bars are about level with the seat; yours look to be lower.

Check out a picture of Jeff Jones bikes that have been showing up on the board, his are
angled down a fair bit.

For me, the idea of different hand positions is about differnt heights, as well as forward and back.

Everybody is different; whatever works!

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the_eleven said:
For me, the idea of different hand positions is about differnt heights, as well as forward and back.
You do have a point there. Maybe I will try a 120x15 stem with a little more angle to the bars and see how it works.

Thanks again for the tip.

LP

·
rider
2,356 Posts
The BIG problem with Jones bars...

I like the idea a lot & it does make a lot of sense. But I see too large a danger factor getting my precious fingers caught betwixt a tree or rock in high speed tight & technical riding. Ouch potential is very high to my viewpoint.

So, my suggestion to Mr. Jones is to please develop a nice custom hand guard system to fit on his sweet looking bars. Sure, I could morph on some dirt M/C units but a true designed to fit system would be soo sweet!

29erchico

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
29erchico said:
I like the idea a lot & it does make a lot of sense. But I see too large a danger factor getting my precious fingers caught betwixt a tree or rock in high speed tight & technical riding. Ouch potential is very high to my viewpoint.

So, my suggestion to Mr. Jones is to please develop a nice custom hand guard system to fit on his sweet looking bars. Sure, I could morph on some dirt M/C units but a true designed to fit system would be soo sweet!

29erchico
Bahhh. Your fingers are at no greater risk than with any other bar. Even with some type of hand guard, if you hit a tree or rock at high speed then you'll have bigger problems than hurt knuckles.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Not any more of a problem,

than any other bar I've used. I live and ride in pine trees. I have yet to hit my hands on trees. If anything I think the hand position would cause less damage, I have smashed my hands on riser bars straight on...Besides I wear gloves with nuckle padding.
H-Bars are just fine the way they are.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
29erchico said:

29erchico
I was very concerned about this also, but I have to agree with PinsNeedles, I think your hands are in less danger than they are with regular bars.

I ride in tight trees, and I usually clip my bars at least once every couple of rides. I have clipped the Jones bars once, but my hands were further forward on the bars (near the intersection) so the butt section of the bar took all the impact that my pinky finger would have on the Hellions. Just slide your hands a little forward in the tight stuff, and your fingers are basically protected by brake levers in the front and the butt of the bars in the rear.

It may sound wierd, but I really think they are safer.

LP

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I does happen to me that I hit my hands on poles that keep course side ribbon up. For some reason those are exacly the height that I can clip them. But here's the funny thing : I hit them on purpose! The H-Bars at lower speeds sometimes give me such an arrogant feeling of control over the bike, that I start clipping those poles, and I seem to be able to even "modulate" how hard I hit them. That clipping gives me a sense of speed and focus, perhaps like a racing driver riding the curbstones, or clipping a wall intensionnally. My Salsa Los Motos gloves may play a part in this fascination of mine, they're moto for sure.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
They're wider and I've "proved" it on my local singletrack

I've smacked my hand a few times but I think it's more of a function of their wide-ness vs. their sweep-ness. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it a little more but isn't there some company that makes golves with carbon knuckle guards (oakley?)

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
I've smacked my hand a few times but I think it's more of a function of their wide-ness vs. their sweep-ness. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it a little more but isn't there some company that makes golves with carbon knuckle guards (oakley?)
They're 26" wide, just like many riser bars. I have Azonic risers that are 28". The H-Bars look wider, but I think it's an optical illusion. I even busted out the tape measure.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Nat said:
They're 26" wide, just like many riser bars. I have Azonic risers that are 28". The H-Bars look wider, but I think it's an optical illusion. I even busted out the tape measure.
You, sir, are correct!! They are no wider than my Easton Monkeylite XC risers. Your hands are way more "outboard" on a riser than the H-bars. I still agree with Nat's earlier sentiment; if you hit a tree fast enough to hurt your knuckles or fingers, you've got bigger issues to be concerned about! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

OGG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.