Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to bring my first FSR (94) out of mothballs and give it a face lift so that maybe my GF would come out and ride some time. I stripped it down, cleaned it up, made it into a SS and installed an old AMP fork I used to run on it back in the day. I had forgotten but by the look of it and the old parts hanging in the rafters I must have replaced the rear triangle with a NOS one a long time ago and I remember that I had the AMP serviced at one point too. So everything works well and I road it around a bit and it feels good too.

WTB grease guard rear hub, WTB Powerbeam rims, Amp front hub, big Suntour levers, Vetta saddle, Controltech stem. Sun Ringle pedals, Specialized bars.

I have some green Michelin Wild Gripper tires that I wanted to put on there but I couldn't get them on the WTB rims. The Michelins are some of the first tubeless tires so they might be tighter than necessary and these aren't drop rims so maybe that is it, but they weren't going on.

Even if I can't get her to ride it much it sure looks a lot better now. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jacdykema said:
If you're trying to get your lady friend to ride with you, I'd like to suggest gears and a "not Vetta Lite" saddle.
The trail I wanted to take her to is mellow enough to not need gears and making it as simple as possible might be better. She doesn't have very wide hips and I've read on the girls forum that boys saddles work for girls too. I did have a squishy girls saddle on it but it was delaminating so I tossed it. The total expense on building this bike up, using what was in the basement was about $25 for housing and a chain and considering the tenuous nature of the possibility of her loving it I didn't want to spend much. If she loves it I might get her another saddle. However after our "conversation" last night I don't think it matters much anyhow :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
richieb said:
sort of too bad you left the headset in for the re-spray - it kind of looks stolen now...
It was back in the 90s but it must have been a design decision because I could have taped it. Maybe it was scratched up. It could easily be pulled and with a little lacquer thinner be clean again. Maybe I should paint the rest of it and cruse the police parking lot pumping my fist in the air. :nono:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Can you measure the rear shock eye to eye distance, I have a 94 FSR that came to me missing the shock and from what I can gleam from searching it seems they took a 5.5 inch shock?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is a 5.5" x 1" shock. The top mounting hardware is available at Fox but the bottom is not and even if you have the original it will not fit the RP3.

I've heard that others make shocks that fit too like Cane Creek and RST I believe.

I just tried RSTs website and without clicking through every page I couldn't find any shocks at all. They need to work on that. Forget the little intro animation and make it navigable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts