Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I should probably read through the huge Specialized-brand suspension thread, but the PDF links aren't working for me and I'm not in the mood to read through a 20+ page thread.

And sorry for posting multiple Enduro SL help threads, but hopefully somebody on here will have some useful information for me.

The suspension problems I'm having with my '08 Enduro SL Expert:

When I set the air pressure in the fork so that the small bump sensitivity is to my liking (with the compression adjuster backed all the way out), the fork bottoms really easily. When I put enough air in the fork to keep it from bottoming, the small bump sensitivity goes to shlt and my hands hurt like crazy after any downhills. And FWIW, the compression adjuster only adjusts low-speed compression, so it has no effect on the bottoming of the fork.

My upper fork crown creaks. A lot. I've disassembled it, greased all the bolts, lightly greased the inside of the stanchion clamps, and torqued all the bolts to spec (50 in-lb). This fixes the problem, but only for a little bit. After a few hours of riding, the creaking comes right back. (I've greased the handlebar/stem interface too, but that's not the source of the creaking.) Any ideas?

The rear shock seems to be a piece of poop. Specialized recommends 180 psi for my body weight, which makes the shock WAY too firm (regardless of the compression setting), preventing me from getting full travel. When I put 175 psi in the shock, however, it's too soft and bobs a fair amount when climbing (even in the firm compression setting). I've tried to get surgical with the pressure settings (making adjustments in ~2 psi increments between 175 and 180), but it seems that when I'm at 178 psi, the shock is too firm throughout the entire compression adjustment range, but at 177 psi the shock is softer than I would like. What gives?

And finally, the rear shock squeaks, but only when it's in the firm compression setting (regardless of air pressure). I've tried lubing the seal with Tri Flow, and when that didn't work, I spread some Slick Honey on there, but it didn't help. Does this mean there's some valving inside my shock making noise when it compresses?

I would love to throw a 36 Talas and RP23 on the bike and call it a day, but unfortunately I don't have the money for that, so does anybody have ideas, tips, or suggestions to help remedy these issues? Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the same problems with bottoming easy and weakass rebound on my 07. The rebound makes it difficult to loft the front tire. My shock also whistles in the second firmest setting. Overall, the shock is decent, but the stock rear suspension performance leaves much to be desired compared to the Giant VT2 that was stolen from my life T_T

·
Registered
790 Posts
To help with bottoming resistance read this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=422422

Low speed compression adjustment does affect bottom out resistance, during the compression of the fork after a large hit, it is the inititial part of the compression stroke that is the fastest (during this part of the stroke the spike valve is open), when the fork reaches bottom out the shaft speed is much slower and the low speed compression adjustment is in effect.

For greasing pivots, bolts etc. I have had good luck with Shimano Lok-Not its a very thick paste lubricant, it stays for a long time.

To set your suspension up view the setup video: http://www.specialized.com/bc/microsite/suspensionsetup/main.html

We recommend shock and fork maintenance every 50 ride hours and a full service every 250 ride hours.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yes, a service on the fork with a lighter weight oil in the rebound cartridge may give you what you want.

But, have your LBS check the the spike valve pressue? It may be too high.

And an early 08 Enduro's may need the updated 08 interanals to be straight as well.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
I've never had good small-bump sensitivity from my Enduro SL, and especially not from the front-end. I think it's the way the bike is designed. I actually prefer a stiff fork myself, and I've been pretty happy with the SL's fork. I wouldn't mind more plushness in the rear though.

This spring I had a chance to take a short ride on regular, non-SL, 2007 Enduro. Now that was a plush bike. I almost bought it, I liked the plushness so much. I doubt I could ever get my SL to feel that way though.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
JonathanGennick said:
I've never had good small-bump sensitivity from my Enduro SL, and especially not from the front-end. I think it's the way the bike is designed. I actually prefer a stiff fork myself, and I've been pretty happy with the SL's fork. I wouldn't mind more plushness in the rear though.

This spring I had a chance to take a short ride on regular, non-SL, 2007 Enduro. Now that was a plush bike. I almost bought it, I liked the plushness so much. I doubt I could ever get my SL to feel that way though.
you would be amazed at how smooth the SL can be , if you get your fork aligned and lubed correctly , the e150 becomes smoother than a fox unit by far -----and the e150 is just a better, stronger, more ridged better steering unit .

and on the AFR shock ----there are quite afew things that you can do here also --( besides re-valving )---keeping the air sleeve correctly lubed ( like you should do any air shock ) --makes alot of difference on smoothness .

also something i have been playing with the last month is actually trapping alittle negitive pressure in the air sleeve when servicing it , and keeping the shock from topping out compleatly--( about 1-2 mm from topping out ) and man does that make the initial movement seemless and easy , -----its like rideing a spring shock . ( this makes the shock so smooth )---------( there is a way to do this and keep the shock at the stock length--------i just have not gotten there yet )

there are so many things to get dialed on any bike you get , it will take some time to get familure with the bike set up and the workings of the componets , and what works for you !

chameleoneel, ----when you start getting your bike really dialed for you , you will be amazed at how much better it is all around than your Giant VT2 ,------
i have a customer that owns that bike and he thought it was the best thing since cold bottled beer ,

untill i started setting up my enduro for him to ride , ------now he went and bought an enduro ---( and yes i spent a week with him on his enduro getting it set up )----- and now his VT2 just sits in the garadge :eekster:

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Enduro SL is overall a better bike, Yes! I like the geometry way better, the longer wheelbase, and the e150 fork has way more small bump sensitivity than the Rockshox Psylo.

But I feel the VT's rear end is much better though on flat ground, chatter, and square-edged bumps. The SL rear doesn't even really feel like its doing anything over chatter bumps. Squared edged bumps it also feels unusually firm. And the shock just seems to over compensate and dive when it does react. Downhill the SL rear is about the same as the VT.

I've got the shock set at about 10 or 15 PSI under what the manual recommends for my weight.

This is not to say I think the SL rear is terrible, its pretty good. better than some that i've test ridden. But I've always felt the VT had an extraordinarily good rear end/shock combo with the Swinger 4 way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
PDF Links are now back-up & working

Hi

I have been advised by Gregg (Administrator) that the Links on Page 1 of my Specialized suspension related thread, which deals with some of this are now fully working again for those that need copies of instructions and correspondence etc

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=370741

I also have a few up-date items related to this thread's subject matter, which I shall ask Gregg to put in the same PDF Link section section over the next few days

:cornut:

·
Registered
119 Posts
kelstr said:
you would be amazed at how smooth the SL can be , if you get your fork aligned and lubed correctly , the e150 becomes smoother than a fox unit by far -----and the e150 is just a better, stronger, more ridged better steering unit .

and on the AFR shock ----there are quite afew things that you can do here also --( besides re-valving )---keeping the air sleeve correctly lubed ( like you should do any air shock ) --makes alot of difference on smoothness .
Care to elaborate? What do you mean by aligned correctly?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
xtrpickels said:
Care to elaborate? What do you mean by aligned correctly?
as with any fork, you must have the sliders aligned with the stanchion tubes through the whole amount of travel , ----or they will bind and become sticky and harsh.

motorcycle forks are real bad about this , ------many hrs and dollars are spent to rid 13" of travel from stiction.

you want your bike upside down, ----both cartridges out, and you gently stand on the handelbars and you push and pull the the ft wheel up and down through the 6" of travel and see if it is smooth ( this is generally after you have serviced the outters and have fresh slick honey on the seals, packing , and bushings )-------

you can move the rt hand axle boss in or out on the axle untill you find your smoothest spot that has the least amount of stiction through the 6" of travell,

you now mark that spot on you axle with a scratch line , a sharpie or just measure from the axle to axle boss with feeler guages so you know where your sweet spot is , ----and every time you remove your ft wheel you can get the sliders aligned correctly .

all forks need to be alighned, -------the more travel the more it is likley to be sticky :eekster:

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
JonathanGennick said:

Fully agree with this post. The SL is just not designed to be as plush as the more free-ride oriented trail bikes out there, if what I just said makes any sense....
Compared to say a Scott Ransom or an SX Trail, it will not feel the same. It gives up some suppleness for pedaling efficiency (also holds true for the riding position - slightly more strung out compared to many "AM" rigs...). I don't feel this is a shortcoming of the suspension components at all - it has to do with how the overall package was designed, including geometry and linkage ratios etc. For me, its a perfect one bike does it all setup...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd like to hear from someone that has replaced the AFR shock with something else. Did it change the feel of the bike? did it give it the small bump sensitivity that I would like to think it would? I've been contemplating for awhile whether to get a Swinger 4-way, but i'd like to confirm if the Enduro's "problem" is the AFR shock or if it is designed into how the linkage works?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.