Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is an update of the same text as the last few i have done, no dirt inside the seals area after just doing another oil change. I had to go in and do some cartridge things so I decided to do a full oil change and show you the lack of dirt yet again on these "interim Fox seal kits" I have been offering. Had plenty of dust and even wet thrown at them in the last month or so, anyways if you are wondering how well they keep dirt out, check out the picture.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,087 Posts
Wow, that looks even cleaner/slicker than the last pic. Could it be partly due to the Golden Spectro?

I've been looking at Darren's site lately, as he's added some info. Apparently he's using Torco on the rear shocks, but I didn't ask him what he prefers for the forks when I spoke to him. I'm thinking it's probably a bit of a different issue front to rear, as it seems the rear shocks are more likely to generate heat and cavitation.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the oil

Gnarlygig said:
Wow, that looks even cleaner/slicker than the last pic. Could it be partly due to the Golden Spectro?

I've been looking at Darren's site lately, as he's added some info. Apparently he's using Torco on the rear shocks, but I didn't ask him what he prefers for the forks when I spoke to him. I'm thinking it's probably a bit of a different issue front to rear, as it seems the rear shocks are more likely to generate heat and cavitation.
The cleanliness is not because of the oil, just more dust this time vs. mud and wet last time, and the seals doing their job. The Fork thing has not really picked up for him yet as far as i could see. He has his hands full with the rear shock program right now, and the Torco he uses is a rear shock racing fluid I believe, same used in Romic if I remember seeing correctly last week while down there. Back when i was trying to find out (to no avail) from Fox who makes their fork fluid, I had guessed from smell and labeling it was either made by Maxima or Torco, still dont know. Only thing for sure is the Spectro does at least as good of a job at close to half the cost.

·
Banned
1,087 Posts
I could see how it would for the forks, but do you think Spectro...

DGC said:
The cleanliness is not because of the oil, just more dust this time vs. mud and wet last time, and the seals doing their job. The Fork thing has not really picked up for him yet as far as i could see. He has his hands full with the rear shock program right now, and the Torco he uses is a rear shock racing fluid I believe, same used in Romic if I remember seeing correctly last week while down there. Back when i was trying to find out (to no avail) from Fox who makes their fork fluid, I had guessed from smell and labeling it was either made by Maxima or Torco, still dont know. Only thing for sure is the Spectro does at least as good of a job at close to half the cost.
...would perform as well as the others mentioned in the rear shocks as well, where the chambers are much smaller, and heat and cavitation more of an issue?

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Another marzocchi seals update.

Nothing's happened. I haven't changed the oil.

:D

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I wasn't impressed by the stock Fox seals....

DGC said:
It is an update of the same text as the last few i have done, no dirt inside the seals area after just doing another oil change. I had to go in and do some cartridge things so I decided to do a full oil change and show you the lack of dirt yet again on these "interim Fox seal kits" I have been offering. Had plenty of dust and even wet thrown at them in the last month or so, anyways if you are wondering how well they keep dirt out, check out the picture.
The let a lot of oil by them as you rode. My current Marzocchi doesn't do that at all. So, I bet the Enduro seals are appealing to Fox fork owners.

Jaybo

·
Registered
157 Posts
I find them appealing

Jaybo said:
The let a lot of oil by them as you rode. My current Marzocchi doesn't do that at all. So, I bet the Enduro seals are appealing to Fox fork owners.

Jaybo
I'll order some when they get released.

Did the price go up to $25? I'd still get 'em...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have them

RVM said:
I'll order some when they get released.

Did the price go up to $25? I'd still get 'em...
I have the Interim kit that Chris and I put together, a kit which I have been testing for quite some time now. They are working just as the Fox packaged ones should once out. Only thing is, since I am the only one authorized to have these and a little mod has to be made to fit, I will sell them only as an installed service, you will need to send me your fork. I am doing the service priced with seals, full oil change and cleaning service for $75 complete plus shipping.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Only one "authorized to have these"??

Just wondering how you are the only one "authorized" to have these... authorized by who?

DGC said:
I have the Interim kit that Chris and I put together, a kit which I have been testing for quite some time now. They are working just as the Fox packaged ones should once out. Only thing is, since I am the only one authorized to have these and a little mod has to be made to fit, I will sell them only as an installed service, you will need to send me your fork. I am doing the service priced with seals, full oil change and cleaning service for $75 complete plus shipping.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Yeah, it's a freakin seal...why modification?
I don't like the sound of that.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
interim kit?

steve3 said:
More importantly, what is this modification and why does it need to be made?

Is this an adaptation of other kits to use on Fox?

Also, I'm concerned that you pulled your fork apart without cleaning all of the crud from the outside first.

What type of oil did you use inside because i can't even see any tint of oil or residue on the bushings.
This kit was something Chris at Enduro Fork Seals and I came up with while the actual Fox version seal kit was going through changes before it made it to the public, I recieved Fox kits as did Chris and we both felt they were not right. The seals do fit against the stancion leg for sealing the same way the actual kit should, it needs a little modification to fit inside the lower casting since it is not a perfect fit for the Fox. If it was by the slightest hint not a good idea or did not work, it would not have been offered. I put it through enough time and hard miles to prove it before releasing it.
If you want to show how a seal is working in a picture, you leave the crud around the seal to show that. How effective would it have been to show everything clean? I always clean around the seals before opening up a fork. There is residue oil on the seal and bushings, its there. I dont wait til the oil is black before I change it.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Does it void the manufacture's warranties?

DGC said:
This kit was something Chris at Enduro Fork Seals and I came up with while the actual Fox version seal kit was going through changes before it made it to the public, I recieved Fox kits as did Chris and we both felt they were not right. The seals do fit against the stancion leg for sealing the same way the actual kit should, it needs a little modification to fit inside the lower casting since it is not a perfect fit for the Fox. If it was by the slightest hint not a good idea or did not work, it would not have been offered. I put it through enough time and hard miles to prove it before releasing it.
If you want to show how a seal is working in a picture, you leave the crud around the seal to show that. How effective would it have been to show everything clean? I always clean around the seals before opening up a fork. There is residue oil on the seal and bushings, its there. I dont wait til the oil is black before I change it.
If so, I would wait until the warranty is shot. The Marzocchi seal is so good I can't imagine another seal doing a better job. However, the stiction issue is worth a discussion. Plus, these seals are so cheap. Probably not a bad upgrade once the stock seals are worn out.

Jaybo

·
Registered
71 Posts
Huh?

I am still a bit fuzzy... aren't these just first run Fox seals that have had their OD shaved down a bit to fit in the lowers better? And how can Chris "authorize" anything? Does he manufacture the seals or something? I don't think it's much of a secret that the standard Boxxer kit will fit in Fox Forx with a bit of shaving (the wipers otherwise just fit very tightly in the lower legs).

DGC said:
Authorized by Chris at Enduro fork seals.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no

angryasian said:
I am still a bit fuzzy... aren't these just first run Fox seals that have had their OD shaved down a bit to fit in the lowers better? Does Chris manufacture the seals or something?
They are not first run Fox seals, those never made it out to anyone. Enduro seals are made elsewhere, but made for Enduro I believe is the way it is. The oil seal I am using is totally different also.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok...

Looks like you replied before I appended my message... I don't think it's any secret that the Boxxer Enduro seal kit will fit in Fox Forx with a bit of shaving to the OD (they'll even fit without shaving, although it's an exceptionally tight fit), and the standard Boxxer Enduro main oil seal will also fit without any issues, even though the lower ledge of the seal seat of the Fox lowers aren't machined. I don't understand your posting, though... what do you mean by "made for Enduro I believe is the way it is." Do you provide specs? I thought Chris was mainly just an online source for these things? Does he get them directly from Enduro?

DGC said:
They are not first run Fox seals, those never made it out to anyone. Enduro seals are made elsewhere, but made for Enduro I believe is the way it is. The oil seal I am using is totally different also.

·
otb club member
3,086 Posts
Some answers for you:

angryasian said:
Looks like you replied before I appended my message... I don't think it's any secret that the Boxxer Enduro seal kit will fit in Fox Forx with a bit of shaving to the OD (they'll even fit without shaving, although it's an exceptionally tight fit), and the standard Boxxer Enduro main oil seal will also fit without any issues, even though the lower ledge of the seal seat of the Fox lowers aren't machined. I don't understand your posting, though... what do you mean by "made for Enduro I believe is the way it is." Do you provide specs? I thought Chris was mainly just an online source for these things? Does he get them directly from Enduro?
James, if you have questions, please feel free to email any time: [email protected] .
As you know, I have highly recommended you for your expertise many times on this board, and so it's no surprise to me "it isn't any secret" to you that the Boxxer kit can be adapted using the OE style oil seal and modifying the wiper. What you have to understand is, I guarantee every kit unconditionally. As you may expect, from time to time I end up sending extra wipers and such to people who mess them during the install. The last thing we want to do is send out a kit to end users (or retailers) that requires modification by the end user.

When the proper Fox kits are ready, they will be sold as a Fox Kit. In the meantime, for those who are sick of oil running down the fork legs (not everyone, but, apparently many), we figured why not let them have the benefit of the modified Boxxer Kit, as long as we have some control over how they are installed.

While many could make the mod themselves and be fine, we don't want to be responsible for others botching it, wanting repacement kits, and posting that the "Fox" kit sucks.

Is this making sense to you? As for DGC, he has spent a lot of time testing different prototype seal kits and I feel confident recommending him. If anyone were to ask me if you were capable of installing the kit, I would have no hesitation in recommending you.

Feel free to contact me directly about your other more personal business questions and I will be happy to discuss them with you.

-Chris
[email protected]
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.