Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros/cons between the three types of EBBs; internal expanding, set screw, and pinch bolt? Are one of these the same as a bushnell type?

For the record, I believe any of these may or may not creak so let's not go there. ;)

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Pinch bolt rules!

Bushnell is an internal expanding type. My preference would be:

1: Pinch bolt: Has worked for stems and seatpost clamps for years with no problems. Distributes the clamping force around the entire EBB.
2: Internal expanding: Only negative is it can sieze if not moved for a long time.
3: Set screw: Don't like it! The set screw leaves divits in the EBB and can cause positioning problems. All of the pressure is on a very small area, not good.

Just one Mechanical Engineer's opinion though!

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Yup

I did a lot of asking around when I ordered my frame, and decided on a Bushnell.

The set screw seemed like a bad idea because it would eventually mess up the insert part. I don't really cotton to the idea of having 5mm allen screws on the underside of my frame, anyway.

Pinch bolt seemed smart because of the increased surface area, but mymechanical mind was suspect of a split BB shell, so there I was.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Pinch bolt for me!

Had the Bushy when I owned the Sofa King Ti King Pin, and couldn't get the thing to stop CREAKING. Bushnell even sold me their new revised lighter weight one at cost, and it creaked.

Not bashing Bushnell, as I'm 6'5" and was 240lbs. at the time, running 38/18 fixie. (the Bushy EBB was fine whilst running SS and an easier ratio.....).

My current Vulture, with a pinch bolt style EBB, has not yet made a peep! Running fixie, same ratio.....and I have NO where near the torque applied to the bolts I did previously, just snugged 'em up and all is golden!

Just some pennies of thought from a big lad.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
My Vulture has the set screw EBB. So far I haven't had any issues with it moving or creaking or anything like that....but then again, I only have about 200 miles on the bike. From what I can gather, as long as you tighten it with the right amount of torque, you won't dent the EBB insert with the set screws.

I've never owned pinch bolt or the expanding Bushnell...so I have no clue about those.

I do have one question though, say that in the future I somehow dent the EBB insert with the set screws and it becomes an issue where I can't easily adjust the EBB, is there a place I can go to buy the EBB metal insert?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
New2SS said:
I do have one question though, say that in the future I somehow dent the EBB insert with the set screws and it becomes an issue where I can't easily adjust the EBB, is there a place I can go to buy the EBB metal insert?
My Phils eBB insert is full of dents, they do not affect the ajustability of the eBB. Every time you tighten the setscrew, they imbed a new mark over the old without any issues.

Re-creaking - my pinch style BB shell has been the most prone to creaking, which isn't much. Most of my creaks came from the crank interface anyways. eBB creaks have more to do with the BB shell, which is easily distorted during welding. Slight irregularities on the inside of the BB shell gives hot spots for the insert to rock and creak on. Oddly enough, my pinch-bolt BB shell had the largest irregularities.

·
Registered
836 Posts
New2SS said:
My Vulture has the set screw EBB. So far I haven't had any issues with it moving or creaking or anything like that....but then again, I only have about 200 miles on the bike. From what I can gather, as long as you tighten it with the right amount of torque, you won't dent the EBB insert with the set screws.

I've never owned pinch bolt or the expanding Bushnell...so I have no clue about those.

check Alfred E. Bike.....those inserts are pretty cheap, <$20 - used on all tandems.

I replaced my set screw type w/ a Bushnell from AEBike....actually creaks less and keeps the chain tension setting longer (w/o twisting) than the previous set screw one.

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
Ti and Set-Screw EEBs don't play well together. The BB Shell on mine finally got so stretched out, it started slipping. :eek: So it's back at the Mfg. getting the shell cut out. It's going to be replaced with a Bushnell set up.

jw

bob said:
What are the pros/cons between the three types of EBBs; internal expanding, set screw, and pinch bolt? Are one of these the same as a bushnell type?

For the record, I believe any of these may or may not creak so let's not go there. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bushnell type are a pain to adjust on the trail.
Long 4mm allen key required and pin spanner.
Or it is on my 2002 version.
Getting over the seizing of the EBB isn't normally a problem if you just lay into your crank with the sole of your shoe while still attached to your foot ;)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
itsdoable said:
My Phils eBB insert is full of dents, they do not affect the ajustability of the eBB. Every time you tighten the setscrew, they imbed a new mark over the old without any issues.

Re-creaking - my pinch style BB shell has been the most prone to creaking, which isn't much. Most of my creaks came from the crank interface anyways. eBB creaks have more to do with the BB shell, which is easily distorted during welding. Slight irregularities on the inside of the BB shell gives hot spots for the insert to rock and creak on. Oddly enough, my pinch-bolt BB shell had the largest irregularities.
Cool...that puts my mind at ease.

How often do you remove the shell to regrease? Also, what is the best lubrication to use on a shell if I ever need to do that? Just plain grease?

From looking at mine currently, it looks like Wade (Vulture) put some sort of red grease or lubricant inside the BB for the EBB shell.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
jmw said:
check Alfred E. Bike.....those inserts are pretty cheap, <$20 - used on all tandems.

I replaced my set screw type w/ a Bushnell from AEBike....actually creaks less and keeps the chain tension setting longer (w/o twisting) than the previous set screw one.
Thanks JMW, I appreciate the info on that.

Jon

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
New2SS said:
How often do you remove the shell to regrease? Also, what is the best lubrication to use on a shell if I ever need to do that? Just plain grease?
I've only greased the Phils setscrew eBB once, when I changed the BB (may as well grease it when you have it apart, eh!). I think among the 3 eBBs, maybe once ever 1~2 years. Use a thick or tenacious grease, something that likes to stay put. I've used antiseize on them, but I don't think that's necessary. Currently using a white lithium based snowmobile grease (because I had a tube sitting in the garage...)

TomL said:
Bushnell type are a pain to adjust on the trail. Long 4mm allen key required and pin spanner...
Interesting, the Bushnell is the easiest to adjust on the trail IMHO - but why are you adjusting an eBB on the trail anyways? My old park mutitool reaches the bolt, backs it out, and the same multitool in the pin hole allows me to adjust the eBB by turning the cranks agains the tool. Technically, you are supose to use a pin spanner on the other eBB types too, but I've not used the pin spanner for that purpose in 5 years...

·
Registered
24 Posts
GrumpyOne said:
Ti and Set-Screw EEBs don't play well together. The BB Shell on mine finally got so stretched out, it started slipping. :eek: So it's back at the Mfg. getting the shell cut out. It's going to be replaced with a Bushnell set up.

jw
my GT is doing the same thing, only very slightly, you can hardly see it at the moment but im just wondering if its going to get worse, i'd rather an expanding type if i could choose

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.