Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another dual MC-E:yawn:. Machined housing with lots of fins (not round bottomed:sad:). Fraen narrow reflectors. Hipflex set to 1400mA with series stars in parallel. Still need to make a switch housing, battery, and bar mount. Initial impression of the beam is good. So much more throw and much more tight than the CMC SS that I used on previous MC-E builds. It may actually be a little too tight for a bar light. I'll do some beamshots soon and post them.

Attachments

·
3 Legged Big Top
639 Posts
Sharp! once again you guys with Milling machine are making me alittle jealous. Did you do that on a professional quality machine or a hobby level setup?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
il2mb said:
I think their seat height is too low.....
I have a vague feeling that there was something really cool at the start of this thread, but I don't seem to be able to scroll up past Yetis post.

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Vancbiker said:
Here is another dual MC-E:yawn:. Machined housing with lots of fins (not round bottomed:sad:). Fraen narrow reflectors. Hipflex set to 1400mA with series stars in parallel. Still need to make a switch housing, battery, and bar mount. Initial impression of the beam is good. So much more throw and much more tight than the CMC SS that I used on previous MC-E builds. It may actually be a little too tight for a bar light. I'll do some beamshots soon and post them.
It seems like you're running 2 x Fraen narrow reflectors. A buddy runs 1 narrow and 1 medium, and that's a REALLY good combo.

I would swap one of the narrows out for a medium if I were you! Then you would have both killer throw and killer flood + the spill light from both reflectors :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
langen said:
It seems like you're running 2 x Fraen narrow reflectors. A buddy runs 1 narrow and 1 medium, and that's a REALLY good combo.

I would swap one of the narrows out for a medium if I were you! Then you would have both killer throw and killer flood + the spill light from both reflectors :thumbsup:
Yes, it is built with the Fraen narrow. I'll try it that way when I get it finished. I found the MC-E so floody in my prior builds that I may have gone too far the other way by selecting all narrow reflectors. It is really easy to change the reflectors on this design as they are retained by an o-ring that also secures and seals the lexan cover over the reflectors.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with Langen, 1 narrow and 1 medium beam is what I'm going for. I've found that on my setup 2 narrows is like looking down a tunnel while riding.
It is kinda nice though being able to see a few hundred feet away.
I'll post some shots when my medium reflectors come in.
Nice light though, I wish I had friends with a machine shop...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Finally a switch!

Been kind of busy with the car project and took way too long to get this done. Machined ABS housing with Grayhill switch. It needs a bit smaller O-ring, but this is what was on hand.

Attachments

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
where did that start from? I could handle it but need a starting point for that housing...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was from a scrap of 19mm nominal ABS plate from the scrap bin at work. I sawed it to a block 36mm by 12mm by 19mm, then started milling the O-ring "ears" and boring out the switch socket and then drilled the wire hole. The final step was to cut a radius on the back to match the bars.

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
where does you company get the abs, Home Depot or other? That is the source I need...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HuffyPuffy said:
That is a great little switch. I'm sure if you sold 'em they would have a good market around here. Did you consider using delrin for the milled housing?
I would have preferred to use Delrin but have to make do with what is available out of the scrap bin.

Unless a person had these made at a machine shop on CNC mills no one would be able to afford one. This one took about 90 minutes to make. That includes designing in my head as I build, looking for the right cutters, and actual cut time on a small manual mill. I guess that I could get that down to ~15 minutes each if doing a small "production run". Would anyone pay $15 plus shipping for this little bit of plastic? Probably not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts