Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the hub shell bearings in my DT Swiss 240s rear hub. Ligero gave me some great hints and hopefully he or someone else can help me again.

Has anyone had trouble getting the ring nut off? I cannot get the one in my hub out. We tried damn hard to get that thing off (to the point of marring the expensive tool). We also made sure we were turning counter clockwise.

Help!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Vice !

When you are at the point that you start to worry about your spokes, it is because your are almost there:p
Go all out, you will get it out.

A good tip that i've found when not having any bearing press... Use the ring nut to press the bearing in, it works very well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience for the sake of anyone else out there having a hard time with removing the ring nut. First off, I'm using a generic version of the ring nut tool from ebay ($30 instead of $70 for the DT version, DT Swiss Lock Ring Nut Removal / Installation Tool Hugi 240S 240 340 440 540 | eBay, it works and the seller is good). Also, my hub shell is a roval traversee el, not a 240, but shares all the internals. So even with two grown men going all out, we could not get the sob ring nut to budge. So we decided to cook the hub over a stove to get it to expand a bit, and with the tool in a vice it finally gave.

Don't give up, there is hope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts