Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback on my thoughts about setup on the DPX2 and curious how you guys are running your DPX2 for those that are on SBG?

I thought that I had mine setup really well for my riding style, but after installing a new fork I decided to re-visit my settings as the rear was really, really bouncy over small rocks and roots.

My goal is to make a poppy bike vs a dh plower

My weight is around 176 to 182 depending on riding gear I pack

Old Settings
0.4 spacer
38% sag...too much
170 PSI...too low
3 clicks LSC
5-6 clicks of rebound

New Settings
0.4 spacer
35% sag
195 PSI
2 clicks LSC
8 clicks of rebound

Bike feels much more planted or less spiky and the rear wheel is able to track over roots and rocks much better that previously, 4' drops that felt hard are much more plush than before and pumping sections of tracks is much less draining ..but, as a tinkerer, I feel like there's more to get from it

I think my next steps are

1) smaller spacer->0.2 or none, to all me to use full travel on larger drops, Also to this point Ive never been able to get the bike to bottom(4+ft drops)..I always have 15mm or so left on the bottom of the shock
2) Up the air pressure -> 205-210 to get to a 30% sag- Understand SAG is a reference, is there benefit in making the bike rider higher in the rear? pedaling or descending?
3) reduce LSC-> down to 1 click from open, I think this helps with the larger G-outs/rockroll compression?

I've read a couple of threads/posts about it, just want to make sure Im heading in the right direction

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Just to clear up-

Is this a 18 or 19 patrol? The shock tune changed so will require different settings
All of your clicks are counted from open? Please count from closed in the future as this is the industry norm and gets confusing otherwise

Your settings look close but heres some notes-

Don't worry about getting full travel too much, it isn't necessarily drops that will use it all. Usually G-outs will use the most travel but don't make it a target

In saying that you could drop to a 0.2 spacer, the frame doesn't have much progression so I wouldn't go with none

For "poppy", you want as a rough rule to have higher pressure and/or some progression to push against and return energy. Conversely you want lighter damping settings as this absorbs the energy and doesn't give it back

Your LSC doesn't change much close to the open end of the range, I suggest running it full open

rebound should be reasonably fast, depending on tune that will be roughly 8 clicks out from closed but if its a 19 bike that might be more like 6

Summary- Fast rebound, air pressure good, 0.2 spacer and open LSC

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clear up-

Is this a 18 or 19 patrol? The shock tune changed so will require different settings
All of your clicks are counted from open? Please count from closed in the future as this is the industry norm and gets confusing otherwise

Your settings look close but heres some notes-

Don't worry about getting full travel too much, it isn't necessarily drops that will use it all. Usually G-outs will use the most travel but don't make it a target

In saying that you could drop to a 0.2 spacer, the frame doesn't have much progression so I wouldn't go with none

For "poppy", you want as a rough rule to have higher pressure and/or some progression to push against and return energy. Conversely you want lighter damping settings as this absorbs the energy and doesn't give it back

Your LSC doesn't change much close to the open end of the range, I suggest running it full open

rebound should be reasonably fast, depending on tune that will be roughly 8 clicks out from closed but if its a 19 bike that might be more like 6

Summary- Fast rebound, air pressure good, 0.2 spacer and open LSC
Awesome!! Was hoping you or Dougal would see this and provide some insight

Im on a 2018 Patrol, when I've been setting all my suspension its always been from the slowest which I think is closed (fully clockwise)

Looks like my rebound is pretty good- 8 clicks from closed

LSC-I can dial it to open

Maybe look at a smaller spacer

thanks again

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Small update,

New Settings
0.4 spacer
33ish% sag
205ish PSI
1 clicks LSC
8 clicks of rebound

Things are getting so much better, I have so much more platform to pedal on vs the 175 psi

the game changer for me was lowering the LSC, its gone from
plush->ramp to plush---->ramp

Not spikeyness or bouncyness over rocks or roots, drops are swallowed

Thanks for setting me in the right direction Johnnyc7

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.