Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, but I've lurked for some time and I wanted to give a little back to the forum. after having spent a bunch of time here in order to learn what I needed to know to build a bike light for 24h racing.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the way things turned out, so I thought I'd share.. The design seems a little different from the others I've seen here, so hopefully it is worthwhile contributing. I documented the project on my blog, so please take a look if you're interested.

This link is directly to the final build post, but there are earlier ones describing other parts of the project you may be interested in.

Hope you find it interesting!

http://jameswu.ca/?p=24

James

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks for sharing and I hope the light building continues. It's a great hobby.

You may want to reconsider some of the information on your site though.;)

Copper is around 400 W/m*K
Aluminum is around 250 W/m*K

Aluminum is lighter, cheaper, and gets the job done. However copper is much better at moving heat.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for setting me straight, I have updated my blog. I guess I assumed that because almost every heat sink I've ever seen is made from aluminum, it must be the best choice for heat transfer. Perhaps it simply for other reasons. The weight difference is enough of a reason for me, assuming the can get the heat transfer job done (which it seems to).

I think my wife has had enough of my light building activity for a little while, so I'll have to refocus on riding :)

odtexas said:
Thanks for sharing and I hope the light building continues. It's a great hobby.

You may want to reconsider some of the information on your site though.;)

Copper is around 400 W/m*K
Aluminum is around 250 W/m*K

Aluminum is lighter, cheaper, and gets the job done. However copper is much better at moving heat.:D[/QUOT

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Happy to help with the information. Like many of us here have found out, sometimes the most difficult part of the build is getting permission from the wife.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts