Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is the housing I made.
It is 1.5" OD x 0.25" Wall thickness, 6061 Al

10mm base plate/heatsink for MCPCB is "friction fit - 0.1mm oversized - use a hammer" into the housing.

2mm fins for cooling

Rear plug is some perspex/polycar/plastic stuff I had lying around. Small grub screw holds it in place. Clear for status led. I may use some red led for rear visibility.

Now I just need the Cutters MR11 kit which is seriously overdue / probably lost in shipping.
Mounts are salvaged from an old Cateye.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
switch

the switch is made from 3 bits.

1. A chunk of plastic with 2 holes in it . See sketch below. It is about 6mm thick

2. A salvaged clicky switch salvaged from a dead mouse. This is soldered to some cables. then Epoxied into the plastic. This is a tiny little swith about 5mmx5mmx4mm

3. A circular bit of foam. which is contact cement glued to the top of the mouse switch. The top of the clicky switch has a dab of silicone grease to prevent ingress of epoxy, contact cement during the build/gluing process

The whole lot is dipped in liquid plastic coat for waterproofing

The foam is needed to get a nice feel to the clicks. Direct plastic coat ontop of the switch does not work.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very nice work!
Heatstroke

Can you post detail dimensions of your case?
I want to make light as your design.
I need detail dimensions...outside diameter, inside diameter, length...ect.

If you post detail dimensions and cross section view....it will be very much helpful to me.
Thank you, Heatstroke.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dimensions ? LOL, this was back yard engineering, ie. machine it till it fits and looks good.
I guess I better measure it up and then I'll sketch it up for you with dimensions.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Here's a question: Does the housing need to be that thick? I'm making something similar, but was thinking of turning the housing down to 0.125" wall. Any reason to keep it thicker? If you have a heatsink bonded to the LED board, and use some Arctic Silver or similar thermal paste between the heatsink and the housing, shouldn't a thinner, lighter housing be sufficient for cooling? Just curious...

·
Registered
45 Posts
dnlwthrn said:
Here's a question: Does the housing need to be that thick? I'm making something similar, but was thinking of turning the housing down to 0.125" wall. Any reason to keep it thicker? If you have a heatsink bonded to the LED board, and use some Arctic Silver or similar thermal paste between the heatsink and the housing, shouldn't a thinner, lighter housing be sufficient for cooling? Just curious...
Well...
This is proto-type.
So, some modification will be added.
The thickness of wall is 5mm and I will use 2mm diameter screw to connect front ring and main body.
The thinner wall is lighter....but I think screw jointing area of main body will be weak.
To make less weight housing, I will made housing more shorter than now instead of thinning the wall,

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.