Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual stay careful and visable when you're out on the road.......another tragic story from yesterday......I'll have to pay attention tonight to see what 7:25 pm light is like, but I'm certain a light is a absolute must. In this case, being "head-on" suggests a rear tail light would not be enough. Riding to and from the trailhead can be the most dangerous part of the ride......as well as any riding you are doing on the roads. Of course some people are still scared of mountain lions........but looks like they pale in comparison to a F-150 pickup truck.

Attorney killed while bicycling
- Bay City News
Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Alameda County Coroner's Bureau has identified a man killed while riding his bicycle on a remote road outside of Livermore on Tuesday as 48-year-old Paul David Clark, an attorney from San Francisco.

Clark was struck head-on by a Ford F-150 pickup truck while bicycling on Mines Road near Livermore around 7:25 p.m., the coroner reported. He was thrown 15 to 30 feet off the roadway into a ravine and died at the scene.

Excessive speed and alcohol do not appear to have caused the crash, which occurred south of Tesla Road, according to the coroner's office.

The California Highway Patrol continues to investigate the collision and has not yet determined if charges will be filed against the truck drive

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
Sad, I've driven that road a few times when my friend lived up in Livermore before he moved :( Last nite while driving on the city streets in San Jose I passed 2 people on bicycles with no lights, reflectors, and wearing all black clothing riding down the middle of the street :confused: I could barely see them. In contrast though I saw a guy riding a recumbrent (sp?) who obviously commutes to work with 3 rear taillights, and an HID light up front, he was definatly easy to spot.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Mines road..

Chester said:
As usual stay careful and visable when you're out on the road.......another tragic story from yesterday......I'll have to pay attention tonight to see what 7:25 pm light is like, but I'm certain a light is a absolute must. In this case, being "head-on" suggests a rear tail light would not be enough. Riding to and from the trailhead can be the most dangerous part of the ride......as well as any riding you are doing on the roads. Of course some people are still scared of mountain lions........but looks like they pale in comparison to a F-150 pickup truck.

Attorney killed while bicycling
- Bay City News
Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Alameda County Coroner's Bureau has identified a man killed while riding his bicycle on a remote road outside of Livermore on Tuesday as 48-year-old Paul David Clark, an attorney from San Francisco.

Clark was struck head-on by a Ford F-150 pickup truck while bicycling on Mines Road near Livermore around 7:25 p.m., the coroner reported. He was thrown 15 to 30 feet off the roadway into a ravine and died at the scene.

Excessive speed and alcohol do not appear to have caused the crash, which occurred south of Tesla Road, according to the coroner's office.

The California Highway Patrol continues to investigate the collision and has not yet determined if charges will be filed against the truck drive
Is out in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention its unimproved county rd. Pick your roads causiously thats for sure. Also how could the truck hitthe guy head on if the guy wasnt on the wrong side of the road or the truck was on the wrong side of the road.

·
3D guy
339 Posts
Hmmm, no charges yet. How about failure to assume responsibility to control your 4,000 lb vehicle. It is very true the rider could have been being dumb (middle of the road on a blind curve, etc.) but drivers should be responsible for actions while driving. Especially to avoid situations where one can hurt someone.

stepping down off my soap box, ahhh, I feel better. =)

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Rode Mines for Years

Way back when I worked at LLNL 20 years ago and before MTB came to exist, I rode road bikes up to Del Valle and Mt. Diablo all the time. Livermore wasn't as populated then, but still Mines road was bad. It's straight, boring and and narrow in the country so everyone wants to drive fast near the center of the road. If I saw a car coming, I'd sometimes even pull off the road to let it go by, even if it was coming the other way.

I first got into MTB because I wanted to get off the dangerous roads when working in NJ. But I loved it so much I never want to go back.

I agree, the trip on the road to get to the mountain biking is one of the more dangerous part of the routes. I have a bright tail blinker I carry if I think it's going to be getting darker on my final road leg back home. But obviously that didn't help this guy. (Maybe a tail light in front too?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.