·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Teen in Crash May Have Been Text Messaging
Nov 26 1:24 PM US/Eastern
Email this story
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo.

A 17-year-old likely will face misdemeanor charges after allegedly losing control of his car while text messaging and hitting a bicyclist.

The bicyclist, Jim R. Price of Highlands Ranch, died Friday, two days after the accident.

"We do not believe it was an intentional act, but it was inattentiveness to the roadway," said Lt. Alan Stanton, spokesman for Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

"The investigation showed that he was text-messaging on his cell phone" at the time of the accident, said Stanton.

The driver could face a charge of careless driving resulting in death, Stanton said. Under Colorado law, the teen could face up to a year in prison.

It was the second time Price, an avid cyclist, had been hit by car. He suffered a broken ankle two years ago when he was hit while riding on a bike path. His wife, Shirley, said he had been especially mindful of cars since then.

Shirley Price wasn't angry with the teen. "I feel sorry for the teenager," she said. "It was a stupid mistake," she told the Rocky Mountain News.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/26/D8E4AGFG3.html

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
oh the horror.

such a harsh punishment..

"up to a year" for killing a person.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Woah! I live in Highlands Ranch (suburb of Denver)! F! Still, somehow, I'm not suprised that it was a kid busy on their cellphone. I sure hope his Beemer is ok... I wouldn't ride around here if I had to. And I do have to. But I don't. Because I have. And it's stupid dangerous. Did I mention I'm moving?

Padre said:
Teen in Crash May Have Been Text Messaging
Nov 26 1:24 PM US/Eastern
Email this story
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo.

A 17-year-old likely will face misdemeanor charges after allegedly losing control of his car while text messaging and hitting a bicyclist.

·
More Chasmism
798 Posts
TrekFan said:
i was thinking the same thing. why the hell doesnt this qualify as vehicular homicide? this smacks of rich parents pulling some strings to get their kid off easy...
Upping the punishment on the kid doesn't do anything to change the tragedy, or bring the killed cyclist back.

hfly

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The only similarities between the two...

incidents is the loss of life. While both are trajic, I have a hard time feeling angry over this one. The young man driving the car and text messaging on his cell phone. Not riding around town with a shot gun looking for a target. There was no cold calculation involved in this. I makes be feel sorry and sad more than angry. Sorry for the cyclist and his family for their loss, and sorry for a young man that now has to live with what he has done for the rest of his life.

I think that before we start casting stones that we should examine ourselves. How many here have been driving down the road making or taking calls on their cell phones. How many of us could this have happened too? I am sure that there are many here that could be in this young mans place, but by the grace of God! And lets not limit it to cell phones, how about munching a burger while driving, digging around for your CD case, changing a radio station, the list could be endless. ANYTHING that distracts your attention while driving a motor vehicle can lead to a similar incident.

I am sorry, but this was not a case of cold blooded murder, it just does not evoke the absolute rage that the murder of the cyclist does. I cannot not put myself in the place of some LOONEY TOON that is bored and decsides to go kill someone. I can put myself in the place of this young man however. There have been a few times in my driving carreer that inatentiveness could have lead to something like this. But I was lucky and learned from my mistakes with out consiquence, other than some rattled nerves and a sick feeling of knowing what could have happened.

Just becaues this young man struck a cyclist DOES NOT make this any worse than if he had struck a walker or another car. It's kind of sad really. The only reason this gets any attention here at all is because a cyclist was involved. Help me to not judge my brother until I have walked a mile in his shoes. Nuff said!

·
Registered
159 Posts
A better punishment would be. Not able to own or operate a cell phone or any wireless messaging device for 5 years. He would have to use land lines. Kind of like what they do to hackers.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
It's unfortunate that cars are so much like little houses on wheels that people feel comfortable enough in them to do things like send text messages, put on their make-up, eat a burger etc.

The fact is that most people think that they are good enough drivers to be able to do several things at once, which they clearly are not. I have a tendancy to watch other drivers when I'm a passenger in a car, just 'cause people-watching is interesting. People feel so secure in their cars that they do all sorts of things. In the past few weeks I've seen countless people on cell phones (of course), several women putting on make-up (one at 50mph on the freeway... WTF?) a couple of people reading with their reading material on the steering wheel (again, WTF?), a couple having a very heated argument resulting in the guy stopping the car in the middle of the road and the woman jumping out, and numerous other things that I've mostly forgotten.

The point is that cars give us a false sense of security because they have comfy seats, air conditioning, stereos, DVD players and all manner of other things to insulate us in our own little world and make us forget that we're hurtling around at high and dangerous speeds. Add to that the fact that the majority of cars sold in the US have automatic transmission, which takes away even more of the mental process of driving, and it's not surprising that many people think that they're perfectly capable of combining driving with any number of other tasks.

If everyone who owns a car/truck/SUV was suddenly forced to ride a bicycle or motorcycle, I think we'd see a huge improvement in driving standards almost immediately. There is no leeway for mistakes when you're riding, so you pay closer attention to what you and other people are doing. Unfortunately it's too late for the poor guy in this thread... and also for the kid who killed him. He will have to live with what he's done for the rest of his life, and hopefully the nightmares will discourage him from ever doing anything as stupid as text messaging while driving again.

One last thought... like everything else here in Vegas, the buses are also covered in advertisements. Lately a lot of buses have dropped their traditional ads for one that says "Bad driving. What's your excuse?" IMO there should be more public money put into schemes like this. I'd like to see billbards stating that "Bicycles belong on the road, not on the sidewalk" and similar messages that drivers seem to forget all too often.

- Jen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you ever heard of PERSONAL REPONSIBLITY? Text messaging IS NOT an appropriate activity while driving. Yes, I often use my cell phone while driving, but before I do anything that will distract me from driving I look well up the road to make sure there is no one in the shoulder that I could plow into and kill. I'm sorry for both individuals in this case, but I think the kid needs to do time-at least a year!

Marty

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
family should file wrongful death suit

When we lost a promising young rider here in Flagstaff several years back, it was also a young driver that was not paying attention. She claimed the sun got in her eyes and she drifted onto the shoulder and killed the young rider. She received a $35 ticket for failing to yield or some such traffic violation.

As far as the death of the cyclist who was struck by the young man text messaging, the family of the person killed should hire an attorney and file a wrongful death suit. You can be certain they will be contacted by law firms from all across the country who promise them retribution. In civil matters the threshold of proof is merely a preponderance or 51%, as opposed to criminal courts where it is "beyond reasonable doubt" or maybe 90%.

The family will likely win judgment and the young man will lose his car and most of his possessions and pay a portion of his salary to the family for most of his life. Just in case he feels no remorse or guilt over what he did, he will be reminded of his careless and negligent act on every payday as well as be force to live a lessor lifestyle and perhaps even be forced to commute on a bicycle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We are too lenient as a society. It does not matter that the driver was only 17. That does not change what occured. We as a society have turned to the....oops, sorry it was a mistake. We are all responisible for our actions. Would you think differently if he caused a school bus full of kindergarders to veer off the road because of his actions? Probably. It seems we are too quick to shirk our responsibilities these days...look at the bankruptcy rates (hihger in history). I have 3 kids, aged 19 to 21 and they were taught they will be held accountable for there actions. Oh well, enough of my ramblings...just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers all,
Chip

·
Registered
751 Posts
Cole82 said:
A better punishment would be. Not able to own or operate a cell phone or any wireless messaging device for 5 years. He would have to use land lines. Kind of like what they do to hackers.
the cyclist's punishment is that he is dead. somehow, your terms don't seem as fair...

·
2,548 Posts
Cole82 said:
Good idea...PLUS, take away his car/license and make him RIDE A BIKE to get around....I fvcking hate cell phones......HATE them !!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Fuelish said:
Good idea...PLUS, take away his car/license and make him RIDE A BIKE to get around....I fvcking hate cell phones......HATE them !!!
YEAH!!! PERFECT!! Take away his car and make him ride a bike. Great idea! After his jail time of course.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Padre said:
The bicyclist, Jim R. Price of Highlands Ranch, died Friday, two days after the accident.
This guy posted avidly on the Bicycling.com maintenance message board under the nym Biker Billy..

He could come across as pretty abrasive, but he knew more about bicycles and their history than anyone I have ever talked to. He could tell you what kind of der. came on an obscure 1960's bike, what the diameter of X seattube was, how to fix Y problem, and then tell you that you were an nosepicker and too stupid to work on your own bike so just take it to a shop.

A great resource of information - really a tragedy.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Crime and punishment

A couple posters early on in this thread pointed out that a harsher sentence won't bring back the dead cyclist. And while this is true, sometimes the point of a punishment for a crime is to send a deterrent message to others. In this case, that message ought to be that driving a motor vehicle is a serious responsibility, and that negligent acts while doing so are not tolerated. Killing someone with a motor vehicle, through any act of carelessness, whether you are sober or drunk, should result in license revocation and jail time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.