Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
GD the design looks good and I'm sure you can pull it off. But you are going to wish that you had a lathe to compliment your mill at some point.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GD the design looks good and I'm sure you can pull it off. But you are going to wish that you had a lathe to compliment your mill at some point.

Keep up the good work.
If i only want to turn anything up to 32mm i can put some round bar into the appropriate sized collet in a ER32 chuck, like shown in this video..
If i need to go a bit larger id have to mill a stub on one end of the bar to fit into a collet..

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have seen that video a few times and it will work for the small stuff. Unfortunately the largest you can fit in an ER32 collet is 20mm (16mm for ER25) as the ER number is the outside diameter of the collet not the inside.

You're doing fine as you are and the results are the same with a lathe , the lathe is just faster.

You could always get a screw on chuck, screw it to an MT3 taper and stick it in your spindle! But what's the rush?

Look forward to the finished housing.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Just do what this guy has done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-Kdud7eiA

I'm impressed in how excited his wife is with his efforts. Mine just says that's nice in that tone we all know
brad, I'm going to get my wife to watch that vid, just so that she knows how she is meant to react when I cut through metal.

Mine just says "as long as you clear up arter yourself, I don't mind what you do".

Not very inspiring:sad:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bout time for an update..

Rear and front cover...working on the rear cover here..I machined the front and rear cover from one piece of round ali bar. Once i've machined the two sides, one side of the front and one side of the rear. I then saw them in two and machine the remaining face for each cover.

Front cover-after i parted the two.

Main body and rear cover in the 4 jaw chuck mounted vertically

1 - 20 of 140 Posts