Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Witty McWitterson
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was surfing the interwebnet for gleaming hand made cycles, and I came across Aherne Cycles out of Portland OR. Seems he's not getting the attention that Vanilla is, but from what I saw on his site, he certainly deserves it! Lots of really cool little touches to his frames. Cool personality, and to boot, he's the guy that makes the hip flask cages for your Surly flasks! That's on my christmas list...

I love the twin stays he used on this 29" (his personal ride). Slender tubes equals more tire clerance!

· Don't be a sheep
3,414 Posts
~martini~ said:
So there I was surfing the interwebnet for gleaming hand made cycles, and I came across Aherne Cycles out of Portland OR. Seems he's not getting the attention that Vanilla is, but from what I saw on his site, he certainly deserves it! Lots of really cool little touches to his frames. Cool personality, and to boot, he's the guy that makes the hip flask cages for your Surly flasks! That's on my christmas list...

I love the twin stays he used on this 29" (his personal ride). Slender tubes equals more tire clerance!
Ya, that thing is soooper cool. Dig the chainstays, difference with a purpose.

· Non Dual Bliss
6,175 Posts
~martini~ said:

He's a cool dude in person too.

Just a little trivia, but there are about 350 pro* framebuilders in the US alone. Some guys rely solely on their local scene and can build 30 years and you'd never hear of them. Some guys pop right out on the internet and in 6-months they're household names (at least within the cycling community). It's a big, big, framebuilding world out there and I'm constantly amazed at how many builders there really are.

*Pro = someone who generates income from their frame sales and doesn't do it as a hobby. Doesn't necessarily mean it's their primary income source.

· Registered
381 Posts
I am local to portland. I have seen a couple of his bikes, they are pretty cool. "Non-conformist" is how I would put what I have seen. Definitely different than Vanilla's. Not a bad thing though. Both are great, we have some amazing stuff going on here in Oregon....these two guys, Jones, Desalvo, Vulture....

· Registered
21,613 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
I am local to portland. I have seen a couple of his bikes, they are pretty cool. "Non-conformist" is how I would put what I have seen. Definitely different than Vanilla's. Not a bad thing though. Both are great, we have some amazing stuff going on here in Oregon....these two guys, Jones, Desalvo, Vulture....
How many bike or bike component manufacturers are OR based? I know it's a lot:

1. Aherne
2. Vanilla
3. Jones
4. DeSalvo
5. Vulture
6. Chris King
7. E-Bike
8. Burley
9. Anodizing Inc.
10. Titanium Sports Technology
11. ???

· Registered
381 Posts
It is official: Oregon Kicks Ass in the cycling department. I doubt many other states can surpass this eclectic collection. Not that I want to get into a pissing match with other states.

Oh yeah, we have Nike too. They do some cycling stuff so they can count, though they don't have much charm

· Registered
381 Posts

· giddy up!
3,248 Posts
Man, that thing looks great....I really like the idea.

I also like the added bottle cage under the TT for a flask+holder....very unique.

Overall Ahearne seems to be turning out some great stuff.

B

· DiscoCowboy
342 Posts
Should have left that one out...

Nike negates all the cool stuff Oregon has with one swooooosh. Aside from that impressive list. ;)

OrBikbldr said:
It is official: Oregon Kicks Ass in the cycling department. I doubt many other states can surpass this eclectic collection. Not that I want to get into a pissing match with other states.

Oh yeah, we have Nike too. They do some cycling stuff so they can count, though they don't have much charm

· Non Dual Bliss
6,175 Posts
OrBikbldr said:

I don't want to go into detail and it's certainly not definitive, but according to our tooling customer lists, Oregon is 4th with 14 builders. California is first with 53! Colorado is 2nd with 19. Canada is 3rd with 17 (probably not really fair since that covers the whole country). Believe it or not, Ohio has 12 builders.

· Bored
1,978 Posts
DWF said:
I don't want to go into detail and it's certainly not definitive, but according to our tooling customer lists, Oregon is 4th with 14 builders. California is first with 53! Colorado is 2nd with 19. Canada is 3rd with 17 (probably not really fair since that covers the whole country). Believe it or not, Ohio has 12 builders.
Getting off topic here, but can you list the 17 Canadian builders? (also, Canada's poplulation is probably less than California).

I can think of Maranoni, True North, Dekerf, Rhyglin(sp?).. Just off the top of my head.

Great looking bike though. :)

· Squalor
1,571 Posts
DWF said:
Don - is there any site that lists builders by state? I have always wondered who is in my area that I may not know about...

LP

· Registered
409 Posts
Little ol-Ohio has 12 builders. Hum, seems I need to get out of my little world more often...who would have thought. As interested as I am to know who my local home brewers are I'm not sure Don can out all of these people. Maybe he can, but just because you build doesn't mean you do so for the general public.

Right off the top of my head I can think of 3 maybe 4 builders in Ohio, 2 of those maybe pro's. One builds frames for these folks...http://www.gaansari.com/ and the other is a supplier...http://www.bringheli.com/...kind of like our good man Don.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.