Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
7,758 Posts
I think it depends if you are talking about the daytime or nighttime...I don't think too many riders would choose to run a bright headlight in flash mode at night, because it's too distracting for the rider, and doesn't light up the road as well. But during the day the flash mode has to be pretty bright to be noticed, I run my helmet lamp on flash during daylight. Regular blinkies are too wimpy to be much help during the day. I don't find drivers' headlights distracting during the day either.

p.s., my 4th Dinotte taillight (this time a replacement instead of a repair) is holding up great :rockon: , I think I just got a bad egg on the first one and whatever the problem was that caused the LEDs to die within weeks was not found in their diagnostics, so they just kept replacing the bulb.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
+1 on daytime flashing on high. The nice drivers who are a bit spacey and need a reminder, like it. Good drivers think they are a bit excessive, and bad ones don't see anything anyway. Also, "the I didn't see you" is an admission they are incompetent not an indictment of my conspicuity. Though the ANSI vest is a big factor there, too.

Looks OK to me bike standing in drive an me approaching it on foot checking different driver heights.

+1 on flashing at night being very offensive to all concerned.

I can't stand the blinking light in the daytime if I come indoors before getting them switched off. At night? Trying to see and ride? Queasy ramps to nauseous, I fear.

Thanks for the Dinotte update mtbxplorer. Great they came through. They remain on my highly recommended list.

·
Registered
335 Posts
mtbxplorer said:
I think it depends if you are talking about the daytime or nighttime...I don't think too many riders would choose to run a bright headlight in flash mode at night, because it's too distracting for the rider, and doesn't light up the road as well. But during the day the flash mode has to be pretty bright to be noticed, I run my helmet lamp on flash during daylight. Regular blinkies are too wimpy to be much help during the day. I don't find drivers' headlights distracting during the day either.

p.s., my 4th Dinotte taillight (this time a replacement instead of a repair) is holding up great :rockon: , I think I just got a bad egg on the first one and whatever the problem was that caused the LEDs to die within weeks was not found in their diagnostics, so they just kept replacing the bulb.
Good points on the day/night issue. Up here in Alaska, I tend to forget about commuting in the daylight in the winter, dark both to and from work.

I can see that a bright flasher in daylight would not be that much of a contrast and wouldn't stand out nearly that much. At night, it is definitely a different story. There are a few people up here who seem to like running the high intensity flasher. I think it must not effect them as much because they are also running a high intensity steady headlight that would temper the flashing they see from behind the light source.

·
7,758 Posts
anchskier said:
Good points on the day/night issue. Up here in Alaska, I tend to forget about commuting in the daylight in the winter, dark both to and from work.
Oh, jeez, when do you get back to some daylight in either direction?? I leave 6:45-7a.m. and it is light enough for the flasher here in VT now. Still dark on the way home, though. Hang in there!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
FYI for those in need of more power/new blinky/first blinky:

Pack powered:
For those willing to support a limited edition cottage industry light that does not have a self conatined power sourrce this may interest you. Five power levels so you can back it off.

USB powered:
OK there is a USB blinky Thread here.

Two others:

Light & Motion have their blinky. MSRP $99.

Now NiteFlux has the Redzone 4 on preorder. ($20 deposit, $110 total with free shipping). Great for underwater cycling, or for those with a bad case of dropsies BTW (see videos).:cool:

Planet Bike has a 1 watt blinky in the same mold (almost literally), as the Superflash called the Turbo.

AAA powered:
The former king of output, the PDW's Radbot 1000 is no more and the Danger Zone replaces it 2 x 1/2 watt instead of 1 x ! W with reflector. Good price here and for Turbo with free shipping on Turbo at the moment.

Night Video (not mine) Danger Zone left, Superflash Center, Radbot 1000 right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pnI94_ZusM

My review of the Danger Zone and Turbo is here.

Three videos on a cloudy day from that thread (save you the read?): They look good full screen BTW.

<embed src="http://img571.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Pl5b" width="720" height="500" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>

<embed src="http://img571.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=P89999300" width="720" height="500" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>

<embed src="http://img808.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Mhro" width="640" height="380" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

Uploaded with <a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us</a>

Applicable?

The Turbo fits the Superflashes backs so it is a snap in upgrade for my Helmet tail light.

Night and daytime riding videos later. A wedding graduation and MIL visit will delay my directing efforts awhile.

Ride safe. Ride on.

Brian.

·
7,758 Posts
Now you can call me the serial taillight killer. My Dinotte 140taillight (with 4 AA NiMH rechargeables) that they replaced in January did not work last night after my a.m. ride in the rain. I made sure it was dried it out overnight, and added fresh batteries, but this morning, nothing. :smallviolin:

For $119 I expect more durability. I think they need to design to one of the actual waterproof specs (like my phone and camera are) rather than promising performance (see below) that is not supported by the design. I don't know for sure what caused this failure, but a weak link looks like the battery pack (see pic, $1 at Radio Shack) & connections. I notice they don't show this in the "view package contents" photo on their website (pic 2).

Q: Is it safe for the battery pack to get wet?
A: All of our lights can handle brutal weather, even in climates with heavy rain. Your
light will be fine. Do not intentionally submerge the light or battery pack, but expect
your light to endure bad weather conditions. It’s a good idea to remove the battery holder
from the pouch and let all components dry after use.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had good experience with DiNotte

For over two years I have been using a DiNotte 400R taillight (headlights also) everyday in all types (wet, dry, hot, cold) of weather and it has performed flawlessly.

UR

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
For those wishing some info on the new generation of blinkies this may do for you well enough.

Summary:

Planet Bike Turbo gives about 35 lumens after 30 minutes on fresh cells until they drop to 1.8 V under load, about 4 hours on full maybe 16-20 on flash (not tested). That is the max level the PDW Radbot 1000 gave with fresh cells. But the same narrow viewing angle or maybe a bit wider than the Superflash applies.

The PDW Dangerzone registered 21 lumens with my setup, BUT it puts out light in a wider pattern so I am not sure that it isn't closer to 25 lumens the same as the Radbot 1000 after 30 minutes on fresh cells. It has a much wider viewing angle.

The errand bike currently has one Turbo straight back on rear rack, two Dangerzones at 45 degrees off the seat stays. I haven't done the ride bys day or night yet but will. Another Turbo snapped into the superfash back on the helmet mount.

Here is a neat offfering from down under at $110. They are planning a white for the front, too. In this case the three LED's are covered but have no optics so are wide angle. So the power is really needed and used. It can be backed down for group rides and night, cranked to 4 watts on a 1/4 duty cycle for day. Guessing abut 250 lumens out the back equal to my thwo radbots plus my two DIY's in one blinky.

·
7,758 Posts
No reply yet from Dinotte to my 5/20 e-mail about the dead taillight. :arf:
Perhaps they should hire me on as official product tester.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
If they do, have them send one my way to test!

BTW the new Cateye triple may be the new cheap blinky king at a guesstimated 54 lumens, or about 1/3 of the Dinotte on full, and 50% more thatn the Planet Bike Turbo.

·
7,758 Posts
I heard from Dinotte & they are standing behind their product again. I can send it in for another one or pay $100 to upgrade to the 300R (usually $200). The 300R is their one-piece Li-ion USB-charged taillight with no external battery pack. So despite the $$$ I may try that one, I am burnt out on the 140R. Dinotte's reply said "I've never seen this happen - cannot imagine how this happened." Perhaps they can do an autopsy.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Some 'light' philosphy here. :skep: :D

Got some energy back so rode a few light test videos of a light mod.

My DIY tail lights are here. :yawn:

The bubble lens mod is here. :idea:

Riding with the helmet headlight and its amber hood, generator head light, A Planet Bike Turbo on helmet back and rear rack, a Radbot 1000 each seat stay aimed out at 45 degrees, and the DIY bubble lens lights at 45 degrees out from center line, mounted to seat post.

This test I rode across infront of the Ford Ranger with it's low beams on, the camera at head height on a tripod immediately in front of the bumper. I left the camera in 170 degree mode so it has a bit of a fisheye curving my path at the extreme left and right. The lot was very well lit so the lights and I think the reflectors like the tire sidewals do not show well. The ANSI vest does well in the 'just before you get run over' spot and under street lights. To save time I show a pass at opposite lane distance with teh truck at the stop line for the intersection, and a near the curb nearside pass and two passes about 60 and 80 feet away. No labels or music this time to keep the file size small.

A 'Ride-by' video: :popcorn:

<embed src="http://img580.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Pnpj" width="1280" height="740" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/BrianMcB">[More videos from BrianMcB]</a>

The helmet light's amber hood is getting 'waste light' from one of three LEDs. Looks like all three should contribute.

The Side output on the Turbos is better than I thought it would be. The angled Radbots help some, but the bubbles are about all you see other than headlights at 80' side on.

Here is a single Radbot 1000 on the rack, the Turbo on the helmet,two DangerZones on the seat stays and aimed out, an dthe bubble DIYs:

A 'Ride Out' Video: :popcorn:

<embed src="http://img199.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Pncw" width="1280" height="740" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

Uploaded with <a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us</a>

I cut sections out of the ride to cut video size, speed the upload and playback.

I am guessing even zoomed in, on night mode, and +2 stops, and in high definition, the human eye sees this at least 2 X better. Certainly, the road was bright enough to drive or ride without your lights on. The video does not show that. Still nicely visible 1/4 mile away, and I would guess then, at least a half mile for the eye. Running it in reverse would be how a driver approaching the cyclist would see the lights. Nothing like a little excess to help you excel.

Now why can't manufacturers do some video like this? It isn't rocket science. :madman:

The aftablasta does the same sort of thing but has power levels and about 50 % more light than my pair.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
For those trying to be seen and can afford the entry fee:

Front: White Zone 5

Rear: Red Zone 4

Check the view angles lower on page. I can confirm the RedZone 4 is as shown and see no reason the white should differ. Much more robustly built. When you want the comment "I did not see you" to condemn the driver as an inattentive moron, priceless.

BrianMc

·
7,758 Posts
New bike lights make cyclists stand out

edit: the embeded video didn't work, so you have to go here for that...Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

(CNN) -- Riding a bicycle around the city at night can be a perilous pastime with traditional bike lights providing a rather dim reminder of a cyclist's presence on the roads.

But a new prototype light system called Revolights could soon make life in the cycle lane a good deal safer and leave bike enthusiasts beaming.

The wheel-mounted LED lights not only provide greater illumination of the rider's path, say its San Francisco-based creators, but also make a bike far more visible from the front, back and the side.

When stationary, as their promotional video shows, the lights flash in a simple sequence. But as soon as you start peddling they form a solid arc of white and red light.

Revolights shed new light on road safety
This dazzling effect is created with the aid of a magnet (attached to the fork) and an algorithm. Together, they measure the wheel speed and tell the lights when and where to flash.

The system is powered by a rechargeable lithium battery housed in the wheel hub.

Revolights' founders -- inventor Kent Frankovich, Adam Pettler and Jim Houk -- are using the online fundraising platform Kickstarter in a bid to turn their eye-catching patent pending prototype into a finished product.

Backers pledging $200 or more will receive the finalized design prior to its public release which is scheduled to take place in spring 2012.

Attachments

141 - 157 of 157 Posts