Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm '57 145lbs. I will be riding the roads a bit with my wife but want a bike to trail ride and xcountry with.I tend to be rough on things and want a durable dependable bike.I travel out west to bowhunt and want to have a bike to cover ground on that is manueverable and can take a beating.I would like to stay around $800 or less.I would like to get something that is a good alround package and wont have to be upgraded.I'm not out to race but I like performance and I dont want to outgrow the bike abilities. I like the idea of hyd disc brakes. These are a few of the bikes that I have looked into. If you could give me your opinion on the pro's and cons of the bike it would help me. I dont know alot about what components are better than others and would trade weight and looks for dependability and comfort. If you can reccomend any other bike I should look into pls let me know.
GT avalache 1.0
Gar fisher Tassajara Disc
Specialized Rock hopper pro disc
Giant Rainier
I think all these bikes are in the $800. ballpark I have riden quickly on all but the giant.
I did like the rockhopper the best but it was a smaller frame and felt as though it fit me better .I think if the other two were smaller I wouldnt have gotten the leaning foward feeling.
Anyways thanks for any tips and advice. Jesse

·
Registered
721 Posts
Jesse -

Those are all good candidates, although I don't know much about the GT.

The bottom line is fit and feel. If you can, go back and ride all the bikes. See how they handle, how heavy they feel, how they feel when pedaling out the saddle, go through the gears etc. Ride over speedbumps and off curbs. Talk to the guys at the shop and see what they recommend. I don't think you're as clueless as you think - you seem to have a reasonable expectation of what you'll find at this price point. You'll do fine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
And learn to maintain your bike yourself as no bike in the world is without problems and if you learn to take care of it most of your problems will not only seem small, but you'll have it back in use quicker than you likely get a shop could do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice fella's

OK thanks, so your saying there all comperable in quality it's just personal preference.
Good advice I am going to ride them all again and try and work them a little more and make my decision from that. Good advice on knowing your equipment and being able to troubleshoot it and repair it yourself.That goes for everything in life right? Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice.

·
Registered
721 Posts
bowhunting from a bike said:
OK thanks, so your saying there all comperable in quality it's just personal preference.
Yes they are comparable, but there may be trade-offs between bikes. One may offer a better fork but a lower-end drive train, and another may offer the opposite. Its a matter of what you want. In general, however, I would prioritze as follows:

1.) Frame (including fit and feel)
2.) Fork
3.1) Drivetrain
3.2) Brakes

At $800.00, you have a good chance of getting mechanical disc brakes, but you're going to have to make significant sacrifices in order to get hydros. I love disc brakes, but there isn't anything wrong with V-brakes, either....

As far as maintenance, I recommend Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. It's $20.00, and a good investment.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Kona

You seriously need to take a look at Kona bikes. You will get the most bike for the least amount of $$. They make great bikes and with any bike purchase go ride one first to see if you like it. Check out Shuntavi bikes. This is not a internet store. Doug and Laurel Wilson are great to work with and you will get a great bike. I was wanting to get my bike locally but at the price I am spending for my new Nomad I am saving sales tx. Check them out. Shuntavi Bikes 435-635-7328 I dont mean to push this onto anyone but they are really good people.
Good luck,
M.C.tigre

·
Registered
386 Posts
notrelatedtoted said:
At $800.00, you have a good chance of getting mechanical disc brakes, but you're going to have to make significant sacrifices in order to get hydros. I love disc brakes, but there isn't anything wrong with V-brakes, either....

As far as maintenance, I recommend Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. It's $20.00, and a good investment.
The Tassajara Disc comes with Hydros.

·
Registered
834 Posts
*I did like the rockhopper the best but it was a smaller frame and felt as though it fit me better .I think if the other two were smaller I wouldnt have gotten the leaning foward feeling.
Anyways thanks for any tips and advice.* Jesse

At 5'7" you can fit both on a 15" or 17" Rockhopper.
Try both sizes. A smaller frame will have lower handlebar to saddle (assuming correct saddle to pedal distance) than the next size up. Most go fast guys/racers like smaller frames for being lighter, more agile, more aerodynamic position. The next bigger size may feel more stable though.
Also different manufacturers have different sizing. Only actual riding will help you decide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds good

OK more good advice and makes sense thanks. I had a question on the ( zinn the art of mountain bike matinence) and ( LBSs) what are these? Sorry to be so uneducated on your terms.Are they books or service plans or something? Thanks Jesse

·
Registered
386 Posts
OK more good advice and makes sense thanks. I had a question on the ( zinn the art of mountain bike matinence) and ( LBSs) what are these? Sorry to be so uneducated on your terms.Are they books or service plans or something? Thanks Jesse
The Art of Mtn Bike Maitenence is a book. LBS stands for Local Bike Shop.

Sorry to be so uneducated on your terms.
That's alright. That's how I was the first time.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Lennard Zinn Wrote the Art of Mountain bike Maintanence Great book (buy it before you buy a bike)

Local Bike Store for warranty and to help you with the Art of Mountain Bike Maintanence (and special tools)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.