Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is meant by a clipless pedal having a "_____ ( fill in blank) degrees of float" ? What quanity of degrees is considered the norm or good /bad ? What should a buyer look for ? I don't feel any "floating" when I ride w/SPDs, unless the amount of movement you have to make to release your foot from the pedal is considered "float". Is that it? Thanks in advance.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,401 Posts
Float is lateral movement in your foot, if you're not feeling any float at all (can't rotate your foot in the pedal without resistance) in the pedal then the spd's probably too tight.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Some pedals are lighter than others and if you go into a stream crossing, the crank arm will like to 'rest' at a certain angle due to the pedal's buoyancy or lack thereof - Or "degree of float"
So when shopping for pedals, look for one who's degree of float matches your comfiest angle when submarining.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,401 Posts
highdelll said:
Some pedals are lighter than others and if you go into a stream crossing, the crank arm will like to 'rest' at a certain angle due to the pedal's buoyancy or lack thereof - Or "degree of float"
So when shopping for pedals, look for one who's degree of float matches or comfiest angle when submarining.
Ya know, living in the desert.. I forget about that

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
dysfunction said:
Ya know, living in the desert.. I forget about that
Well it's a good thing to keep in the back of your mind.
You are still subject to monsoons and flash floods - correct?.
Living in the desert can lull you into a false sense of security when it comes to float.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
tkerr said:
I don't feel any "floating" when I ride w/SPDs,
Different brands ( = different designs) are different in that respect. I'm using Time pedals and my foot has some room to move sideways and twist before I "clip out". Some people with knee problems seem to be happier with a pedal that allows that kind of slack.

of course dysfunction is quite right: none of this matters if you are in the middle of a desert :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
highdelll said:
So when shopping for pedals, look for one who's degree of float matches your comfiest angle when submarining.
too funny ! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts