Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after mtn. biking for lord knows how long I finally took the plunge into clipless pedals. The different is almost impossible to explain.

I picked up a set of Shimano M540s off of eBay and a pair of Lake MX165 shoes. I must say I really like the shoes a lot, the Vibram soles they put on there are awesome for walking/hiking but are still stiff enough for good support.

I have not had a problem getting in or out yet (I will fall, I'm sure of it) but I am am having trouble finding the cleat on the shoe very fast when taking off. I am sure this will come with time.

Also, there seems to be a lot of "float" (I think this is the correct term) when clipped in, I feel like my foot can rotate quite a bit while still clipped in, is this normal?

And any recommendations for cleat location? I prolly just have to go ride to see what works and what doesn't but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Now the ride looks like:

1996 GT Avalanche HT Frame
2005 Marzocchi MX Comp ETA 105mm
Cane Creek S3 Headset
XT FD and RD
Sram XRAY shifters
XT V-brakes
Sram X9 brake levers
XTR cranks and BB
Mavic 221/LX hubs
M540 pedals
~22 lbs all told...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I mounted my cleats towards the ball of my foot - I find it comfortable, give plenty of power and importantly a great deal of leverage when clipping out.

I did go for a ride with them more central on my foot and found it much harder to escape the pedal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome to the lignt.

I have my cleats amost in the middle front and back. Side to side is in the middle. My feet have a tendency to point outward. My cleats are rotated to point a few degrees outside of the heals. This puts the my feet in a slightly toed-out position while peddaling. My knees are fine.

Lots of float is good. Lube the pedal surfaces with a surface treatment like Pro Gold or Nashbar Dry Lube, or any dry lube. You can even use transmission fluid in a pinch, or motor oil if you must.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I recently switched to clipless myself, and I am glad I took this step early on in my riding. I have only been riding seriously for a couple months, but noticed a huge improvement right away switching to clipless. I feel so much more intune with the bike, and have much more control. The increased acceleration, climbing ability, and pedal efficiency that you notice right off the bat, is nothing compared to what you will experience in time as you build the muscles that you were not using before. pedaling in circles, and opposed to mashing.

I also noticed a big jump in stamina after switching to clipless..

·
Registered
271 Posts
My shop recommended I pedal with one foot then the other for 10-15 minutes a piece to better my "pedaling prowess." I haven't tried it, but thought I'd throw it out here for others.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cleat placement - where you have the most power...mine are just a bit behind the ball of the foot. Too far forward and your toes will cramp up and hurt...you'll know it when you feel it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Jodiuh said:
I did try it for a short period of time and it helped my front leg muscles remember to pull on a hard climb. Often it was the difference between making the hill or not.
I don't think I will try it for 10 or 15 minutes right away... maybe 5 minutes... work my way up to 15..

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have been doing the pedaling with one leg at a time thing, and it works really really well at training your legs to pedal in circles. I only do it for 5 minutes at a time per side though..

I was pulling up, and pushing down, but not pedaling in circles before, but using one leg at a time seems to quickly train your legs to pedal in circles, and that makes the best use of clipless.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kuli said:
Well after mtn. biking for lord knows how long I finally took the plunge into clipless pedals. The different is almost impossible to explain.
Likewise, I just got my first pair last week. I picked up a Crank Bros Candy C, which I guess amounts to an enclosed egg beater. They seem to be pretty easy to get in and out of after a couple tries. For shoes I picked up a pair of Shimano SH-M181. They seem to feel very nice even after a couple hours, and the ski-boot style bindings are handy. Even while riding, it's very easy to adjust the tightness by pulling the lever once or the looseness by pushing the button once.

So far I've only fell over once, but only because I was being stupid and doing massive low speed bunny hops. Already though, I feel the confidence of staying on the pedals at high speed through rough stuff.

Jodiuh said:
My shop recommended I pedal with one foot then the other for 10-15 minutes a piece to better my "pedaling prowess." I haven't tried it, but thought I'd throw it out here for others.
That sounds like excellent advice, I'm looking forward to trying that in my updated training routine. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.