Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Assuming you are willing to do a bit of tinkering.

Take one of these and combine with a replacement upper slider like this one here. A bit of Dremel work on the Stinger arm and the guide bit to lop off some excess and Bob's your uncle.

Still overall cheap. Fairly damn light. No moving parts, little to break. Easy to fine tune with a bit of bending and spacing. Unlike similar from e.13, Paul, and MRP, lets you run a bash ring. Obviously it doesn't take up any chain slack. Things are pretty well enclosed though, so ought to keep things nice and on the ring. I don't really need a lower arm to tension things, but need something to prevent derailment of the single ring/chain system. The bashring sandwich idea is doable, but this was a bit more appealing, to help keep things from really bouncing off the top.

Crusty, snow covered trails at the moment, so it has had no real ride time other than on pavement in front of my house. May get some snow riding this week, but sadly, no dirt time for likely another 2-3 months. Ugh.

·
RIP Friendgirl
462 Posts
Granny God Solution

For those looking for a cheap single ring option for older cranks, check out installing a single chainring in your granny position (64bcd). Use your front derailleur as an upper guide & modify a stinger as i did to keep the chain on the ring better with more tension.

Another plus is the chainline falls in the middle of the cassette with a granny chainring.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.