Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I finally sold my 07 Voodoo Canzo frame that I have ridden sparingly over the past couple of years. I liked the Canzo, it was a decent frame for the price bla bla bla, we've all heard the reviews. At 5'-8", the medium frame was a touch to big for me so it was time to go. I also ride a small Vassago Jabber, SS and rigid(ETT was roughly 23.3" on both bikes). The Jabber is my go to bike, I just like how it feels and the handling is very predictable on most of the trails I ride here in Arizona. I'm not a "spring chicken" anymore and after some longer, rocky terrain and sometimes "feel it" in the back!
Long story short, they are building a ton of new tech trails in Prescott and I am by no means a tech ninja like Enel or Helimech to name a few. I like to go out and try new lines, if I'm not comfortable with a certain line, I have no shame in walking it! Hey, I have young kids to take care of!
After doing a lot research, reading the forums etc and reviewing my budget I decided on the Nimble 9 for my next steed. Now mind you I have only one ride in since the build, I decided to go SS for now but am planning on changing to 1 x 9 shortly. All the talk about short chainstays and slack headtubes is not BS! On my initial ride I was cleaning stuff easier than the other 2 bikes and riding some lines that I wouldn't attempt before. To say this bike is fun to ride is an understatement!
Again only 1 ride techy ride in so far, I plan on a 22-25 mile cross country ride this weekend and will hopefully have more to report. Here are some initial thoughts:
- A medium frame with a short stem is perfect for someone my height.
- This bike freakin handles awesome! Point the front wheel and the rear wheel floats right thru it.
- I love how the front pulls up easy, but a controlled easy! Bunny hops like a MoFo!
- Really fun as a SS but plan on trying a 1 x 9
-Low BB = pedal strikes on the techy rocks!
- If anyone is in AZ and wants to try a medium shoot me a PM
Build list:(mostly pulled off the Canzo)
Fox F29 (100mm seems right on this frame)
XT/Stans wheelset(yanked my Stans 355/Surley SS off the Jabber for the time being)
XT cranks,running 32x22 as SS(will go to 34t & 11/34 with the 1 x 9)
Syncros bars, Sunline 65mm stem,Syncros Ti seatpost(awesome!)
BB7's,CB Mallet pedals.
I have Nevagals and a WTB Exi on there now but have Ardents I'll put on shortly.
Roughly 27 lbs(bathroom scale) as it's currently set up.
Heres a few pics:

Attachments

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Keep us posted on how the 9 fairs on the longer, more XCish, ride.
While I've enjoyed my Jabber (in S AZ) I can imagine how a more Nimble ride may have it's benefits. I'll look forward to your observations as you adapt to and learn from this bike.
Cheers,
M

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a couple more rides on the N9, one was only about 7 miles of rocky, techy,chunky on a local trail called Lakeshore. IMHO more techy than Constellation, others may disagree. Some additional observations....this bike likes to climb! I feel much more comfortable/confident on this bike than my other 29ers. It truley is fun and a joy to ride! Before I did a 22+ mile cross country ride this am, I made a few changes. First off I switched to 1 x 9 from SS, most of the stuff I ride I really like the extra gears. Also changed the rear tire from a Nevagal to a new 2.25 Ardent...Holy *****, the Ardent really exposes some flaws the Nevagal has.
Anyway, there was a bunch of loose climbs and some sweet arse singletrack, this bike excelled and felt great. As mentioned earlier I put on a Syncros Ti seatpost, I really think it helps to soften some impact that reverbs thru a steel frame.
If your looking for a steel frame that has great geo for CC rides and some medium level chunky and is fairly priced I have no reservations in recommending the Canfield N9.

·
Registered
580 Posts
another report

Another shortish review.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Got the Nimble 9 frame earlier this week. <o:p></o:p>
RAILS on singletrack. Great, light turning feel...quicker than the El Mar, Jabber, Bokor, MCR, Paradox&#8230;I have owned all of them. The ride feel is very nice. Springy. Smooth. Almost soft feeling. It felt a little noodly at first, kinda like the MCR, but I think much of that feeling comes from the inital adjustment to steel. I was riding an ALU frame before his one. <o:p></o:p>
BB area is stiff. I run SS (34x18) and have had no issues with the tensioners. They have stayed put under heavy stomping and breaking.<o:p></o:p>
I have done 20 mile singletrack loops on this bike. Very mixed trail conditions. Lots of up and down. Roots. Rock. Reggae. I have no complaints about this bike. I thought that the seat tube angle woud be a little wonky, but it has proven to be a non-issue. The seat position feels no different than any other "normal" seat tube position/angle. The N9 steers very well from the hips. It moves very well underneath you when carving singletrack.<o:p></o:p>
I have not done techy chunky rides yet. I imagine it will do well, but can't say for sure. I run a mostly XC cockpit, and the front end pulls up very easily over trail obstacles. This will be an attribute in the chunk.<o:p></o:p>
Yesterday, I rode a 65+ mile loop on two track roads. The bike felt very good. Comfortale for the long haul. I did not feel like I was pedaling a slackish bike. It felt very normal on the long distance ride. My SS gear ratio was too soft, though, I spun out A LOT. Meh.<o:p></o:p>
Finish quality is really very nice. Welds look good. Paint looks good, and is durable. Attentino to detail is good. I am impressed, and see no reason to go custom, this production bike is right on the mark.<o:p></o:p>
Bike feels great with a rigid fork. A longish sus fork might make it feel a little tall, though, at least for me.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Buying experience was easy. I ordered. Paid with Paypal. Was sent UPS tracking the next day. Nice.<o:p></o:p>
Bike setup:<o:p></o:p>
N9 frame. Large.<o:p></o:p>
Salsa Cromoto fork.<o:p></o:p>
XT cranks<o:p></o:p>
BB7 brakes<o:p></o:p>
Surly and Mavic wheels<o:p></o:p>
WTB tires<o:p></o:p>
90mm stem. Flat bar.<o:p></o:p>
Bell. <o:p></o:p>
What else do you folks want to know? I am happy to answer.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nimble 9 good for XC rider?

Having read your reviews sounds like this frame works well for XC riding. I ride SS XC exclusively, lots of climbing on rooty twisty trails (I like to climb!). I don't ride AM at all, currently running an El Mariachi with Reba and Niner One9 rigid. The short CS on the Nimble 9 sounds like it would be a good fit for my riding, esp, the climbing and twisty trails, but wanted to get some more opinions before I take the plunge.

Thanks!

Mark

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.