Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would hate to bring up a zombie thread so I just made another wheel question thread. Sorry.

I have a DJ bike and use it around the streets doing quite a lot 180’s and attempting 360’s.
The wheel I have on it now is an Alex DM18, any opinions on this rim, and how much stronger would say, a ditch witch be?
It is pretty folded now from casing lots of spins.

Is there a rear 26” rim that can handle my constant spinning? I mean that can hold up like a 20” double wall and never bend.

Weight isn’t too much of an issue but cost is; I’m a teen on a budget.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ditch Witches are available retail, but you will find the same rim with a welded seam in the Rhyno Lite XL. While they will be stronger, they aren't that much stronger. Definitely not BMX like bullet proof. I've heard that the Atomlabs are pretty good and I know a couple of people on the DMR D/V rims and they are holding up good. I'm actually going to try the D/Vs after I get some money together to build up completely new wheels.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
itsmostly about the build, a really high tension wheel is all you need. get a deep dish rim, somethign with a really high profile, and have it professionally done and tell them what your gunna be doin and to have them build it extra high tension. the deep dish will make the spokes shorter so there will be less of a lever to pull the spokes. thats why smaller wheels, 20", are so indestructible and larger wheels, 700c, are so prone to comingout of true.

my recomendation on rim has to be the sun mtx's though. they're way deep dish and pretty strong just naturally, if you build them way way high tension and then run your tires at a really high PSI you wont have any issue with them. i have them on my DH and street bike and have only had to tension the street bike ones once in the year and a half i've had them, and havent had to touch the DH bike ones at all.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
snaky69 said:
I hate my MTX's, to each his own. Mine have been tensionned the very day they came out of the LBS, the wheel builder there is known in the whole province, but they still came out of true and had a flat spot in under a week, I wasn't impressed at all.
what kind of tire pressure were you running? you cant expect any wheel to stay round and straight if your running super low pressure and then slamming it against rocks, it just doesnt work like that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, I definetly like look of the Halo rims.

I have a ditchwitch up front and it seems to hold up ok.

How about the Intense Mag 30's, I heard people rave about their strength.

Also, Sun Singletracks?

If I tighten down my spokes, will that increase the rims strength?

Thanks again.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
ditwich are pretty burly. dont buy anything unless you really have to. the DM18's are confuzingly horrible, I dont know why they made that rim. singletracks are okay..not the best. my friend really loves his s-type rims.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, well I have access to a rear ditchwitch, what do you think; should I spring for them or go for something better like what todd mentioned, an S-type or MTX.

Also, do any of you have experience with Hayes HFX-9 Hydro discs, I was thinking about getting a rear set from eBay.

·
eminence front
367 Posts
I ruined my stock wheelset a few months ago the same way you did... after looking around for ahwile I got a set of 36 hole Mavic EX729's laced (4X not 3X lacing) to Hope hubs. So far they are bomb proof.

Plus, i've still never heard anyone say anything bad about them, only praise. Keep in mind they are NOT cheap rims.

I dont have experience with the other rims you mentioned, sorry.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
colourclassic said:
Ok, well I have access to a rear ditchwitch, what do you think; should I spring for them or go for something better like what todd mentioned, an S-type or MTX.

Also, do any of you have experience with Hayes HFX-9 Hydro discs, I was thinking about getting a rear set from eBay.

as i mentioned i love my mtx's (s-types) but you gotta build them right. adding spoke tension will make your wheels stiffer. if there is a greater amount of force holding the rim to the hub it will take a greater amount of force to move the rim away from the hub. to an extent, if you go too tight you'll just start breaking spokes. but thats a hard point to reach, atleast with a new wheel. the single tracks are alright but really need to be run at a high tire pressue.

hfx-9s are fine. they're not my favorite brakesby far, but definitely get the job done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I am in Australia here are some prices:

Sun MTX rim laced to a Roulette Hub (rear) $292

Sun Intense Mag 30 wheel complete 26" (rear) $305

Ouch, there are two reallly expensive choices.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Mag30's or Dubtracks are riDonkulous!!! but, if you are considering something that extremely bombproof (and extrememly overweight), look at the Arrow DHX as well, but they won't be any cheaper or lighter. I also had a set of the Halo SAS w/ diatech hubs in 26" and they were stout wheels with a nice price, but the aluminum used for the rim is a bit soft. I got several dents with them on my dh/fr bike, but on a street bike you will be running much higher psi, so it could save you from this problem, like mentioned about the mtx's as well.
Another to consider is the new Atomlab Pimp, with the longer and stronger proprietary Torque nipples. light and strong, and will make your spokes even shorter with the larger torque nips, on top of the very high profile rims. and don't let these people feed you any BS about atomlabs pinned rims, they have perfected it imo. Take a look at Atomlab's General Issue (GI) dirt or street verion wheel. Maybe the GI street rear would serve you best in your case, but I have the 24" GI dirt front wheel and rear rim built to an eastern 14mm hub on the back of my street rig, and they are more than solid so far.

I'm not sure what the price difference is, although I've noticed it is generally quite a bit higher, but I would NOT pay that much for one of those rear wheels. I'm not sure what a roulette hub is either.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spent a little while yesterday try to true my rear POS DM-18 rim and got it pretty nice.
I'm still gonna go to the bike shop tomorow and see what I can get from there.

I went out tonight on my 24" bike, it's really crappy; it's wheels dont have nipples or double walls but they hold up so well, i mean i did probably 20 180 fakies and they didn't bend.

Again. For disc brakes, what would you recommend? 6 or 8" it doesnt matter, just low price.
I almost bought a rear Hayes HFX-9 today but resisted until I asked.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
colourclassic said:
I spent a little while yesterday try to true my rear POS DM-18 rim and got it pretty nice.
I'm still gonna go to the bike shop tomorow and see what I can get from there.

I went out tonight on my 24" bike, it's really crappy; it's wheels dont have nipples or double walls but they hold up so well, i mean i did probably 20 180 fakies and they didn't bend.

Again. For disc brakes, what would you recommend? 6 or 8" it doesnt matter, just low price.
I almost bought a rear Hayes HFX-9 today but resisted until I asked.

why don't you just rock the 24's permanently then? I think you meant they don't have eyelets, not nipples....
Get the 6" for rear no doubt! 8" is ridonkulous... 6 has better modulation, lighter weight, and less hang ups on street obstacles. and honestly, I would ride an Avid BB7 long before I got an HFX9. The Mag is a bit better, but no leap, niether has that great of modulation. I think the Hope Mono Mini would be a sick urban/dj brake, as I had a set on my late XC bike and loved them, and now have the Mono M4's on my FR bike, but I'm doing fine with the BB7 rear on my street rig, just feels simpler too. or another I would recommend due to the low price, is the Avid Juicy5, great feel, and very simple too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok,

Here's what I'm picking up today from the LBS:

1X Rear DICE EFD Double wall freeride rim with DT spokes laced to a DICE sealed bearing disc hub.
The guy also said this wheel will be much stronger than a Ditchwitch but I told him to make the spokes nice and tight anyway.
Im also ordering a rear Avid BB5 set.

I hope this stuff holds up. Its gotta last a while.

Best be off, my teacher is going to get mad at me for being on these forums, I'm supposed to be studying Italian. :nono:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts