Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a Tomac Carbide frame. I plan on building this bike without a budget. Not that I'm a money tree, but I figure I'll just save for the parts without compromise. Thinking about going with some American Classic wheels. Heard the quality/weight/price is good. What other suggestions on the rest of the bike? I also have a set of Fox RLC forks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just ordered one, too.

My no-excuses build will be something like:

X.0 twist shifters
X.0 rear derailleur
XTR front derailleur
XTR cranks
Eggbeater SLs
Avid Ultimate discs
09 Rock Shox SID World Cup
Stan's ZTR Olympic wheels on American Classic hubs
Thomson/Ritchey iron

I plan to use it for XC racing and as my all-round bike. Should build up to about 23 lbs. I'm excited about the Carbide. On the demo rides I did, I was impressed with its balanced handling, which, IMHO, is on par with the best out there. Though a bit heavier than some of the other carbon bikes out there (I'm coming off a Scott Spark - 4 lb frame), I feel like it is stiffer and a bit sturdier.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you're doing a spare-no-expenses build, I'd definitely do X.O over X.9. IMHO, there's a noticeable difference in quality and crispness of shifting. I have no experience with FSA cranks, but I run 180 XTRs and there really is no equal.

I may run a full Ritchey WCS Carbon seatpost/bars/stem since I've got them laying around from another build. The seatpost/bars/stem combo will probably be dictated by fit, in the end.

·
Registered
473 Posts
theextremist04 said:
if you're building up an every-day wheelset, don't do the stan's race wheelset.
Depends on your weight. I've got a buddy riding his ZTR Race 7000 wheelset (1210 grams) as an everyday rider, but he weighs 140 lbs. I weigh 180 and run a Stan's ZTR Olympic 347 build (1450 grams) as my everyday wheelset. I'm not one of those delicate flowers and they hold up beautifully. Only needed to true it up once last year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.